I wanted to float and idea on Shared here since there is more traffic. I created a welcome message on Shared, which I use everytime I see a new user on Shared. The idea is to prevent copyvios and abuse on the Shared site. In the welcome message I direct users back to EN site's travellers' pub in case they have a question or issue it can be answered immediately. I believe it is a good idea especially for new wiki users.
I would like to create a separate Shared help page on EN, so that questions specific to Shared can be asked there and these questions can be answered in a timely fashion instead of being answered two or three days later on the Shared site. Anyone else think this would useful? I'd imagine the page could be Wikitravel:Shared help? - Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 21:21, 5 June 2006 (EDT)
- Couldn't it be :Shared:Wikitravel:Help? (I'm not entirely clear about this interwiki namespace syntax.) We do have to try to get our ducks in a row regarding Shared. It's going to get used more and more (because we want it to be), and in addition to filling in some of the missing administrative pages, it's going to require some coordination with editors of the other language versions to establish procedures, and more watching by experienced users to help the newbies. The lingua franca for administering Shared is probably going to have to be English, but we should try to avoid directing people to EN (which will be a third Wikitravel site for many people). - Todd VerBeek 21:40, 5 June 2006 (EDT)
P.S. What happened to Willy? Did someone kill him or did he wander off? - Andrew Haggard (Sapphire) 21:22, 5 June 2006 (EDT)
- We don't kill vandals — we wait until they go away on their own accord. The amount of time this takes varies based on the statistical odds at their particular location of a shiny object impinging upon their field of vision. -- Colin 21:27, 5 June 2006 (EDT)
- They always eventually get distracted by some other brightly-colored object, and go see if maybe it will be friends with them. - Todd VerBeek 21:40, 5 June 2006 (EDT)
I opened this topic for discussion a while back and didn’t hear anything…. As you know, Internet Brands would like to grow the site. And expanding the templates would be an organic and positive way of doing that. Talking about the kinds of templates that might work here could help shape the site going forward. There’s been some talk about new ideas that received some positive feedback, namely [http://wikitravel.org/en/Talk:Heathrow_Airport#Article_content
] and roadways. I’d love to hear your thoughts about other new templates/ new ideas that you think would fit here. Thanks!
Hey, I'm kind of new here(I mean editing and stuff) and need to find general information and some sort of legal policy or sth. For example, I want to contact somebody here, but don't know how to message people/users. I want to learn about this web site's policy because the reason why I want to contact a person is because I think nationalism is an ideology and I suppose wikitravel is not supposed to be called along with an ideology. If my presupposition is true, I want to tell this person about it. But (1)I don't know how to do it, and (2)I don't even know about wikitravel's policy enough to do it. I tried the "help" page and some others like that, but couldn't find an answer. Maybe it's too basic of a question, but didn't know about it. Please somebody give me some information or direct me to a page where I can find that information.Banu 09:05, 3 June 2009 (EDT)Banu
- Hi, though I have no confidence in understanding what you want exactly since I'm not a native speaker of English, I'll try to answer you. Did you try help page on the English version of Wikitravel? If you know user name of the person in question, you can use talk page of the user. If not, you can use talk page of the article in question, or you can use Travellers' pub to discuss general problems. As for problems like political issue, I think en:Wikitravel:Avoid negative reviews, en:Wikitravel:Be fair and en:Wikitravel:The traveller comes first are useful to consider those problems. -- Tatata 10:27, 3 June 2009 (EDT)
New around here, so not sure if this is the right venue to report this...
Found someone apparently using a script to mass post/vandalize pages. I fixed a couple before I realized just how many there are!
Hopefully someone knows how to quickly undo all of them, I surely do not. (unsigned by 220.127.116.11)
- Hi, and welcome! Thanks for pointing that out. The vandalism is (or is being) undone now. We really appreciate the report!
- Have you considered registering an account so that your contributions can be credited to you?--IBobi talk email 15:07, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
I need help removing an entry that someone else put up and isn't accurate
Last year someone put an entry up about me teaching horseback riding at the Islamabad Club but it's wrong. I teach at Shahwana Riding Club and that's where I have my horses. I have tried to remove the posting about 5 times but it keeps coming back. Also the entry above that one is wrong. Mr Mushtaq is no longer in operation so it should be removed as an option to ride in Islamabad. Can you please help to remove these inaccurate postings? I'd also like to be able to put up a new one, but those never seem to stay posted either. One day, and then it reverts back to the old version...please help!
- Dear Ms Orrick! Thank you for writing to us and explaining the whole situation. Your edits were reverted because when you removed them from the Islamabad page you did not provide an explanation why you did so. Therefore, our admins considered your edits as breach of our Wikitravel policies. I hope you understand. I have just removed the two mentioned above listings. Please feel free to plunge forward and edit Wikitravel, however, keep in mind to provide the reason why you are deleting or adding new content. This will help the community understand if the changes you are making are in good faith. Thank you! Happy editing! Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 13:03, 17 May 2013 (EDT)
I have just started a page for my home town.
Can i add a hyperlink from a particular word/phrase to
its' relevant article in Wiki-PEDIA..?? or is this a no-no..!
- Links You can provide a link to an article on the town by using the code [[WikiPedia:XXX] at the bottom. But why would you want to link to one term or phrase? What do you have in mind? Koavf (talk) 12:52, 11 January 2015 (EST)
New User Causes Error
I have tried to post to a page created for me two weeks ago:
The Wikitravel Shared page User talk:Stevebkk has been created on
30 December 2015 by GiulioC, see
http://wikitravel.org/shared/User_talk:Stevebkk for the current
Contact the editor:
I have tried to contact the editor but am refused permission.
--Stevebkk (talk) 23:06, 9 January 2016 (EST)
- Hello, looking at your account all looks ok, what are you trying to post? Adzas (talk) 07:13, 10 January 2016 (EST)
Climate data - proposal
Hi fellow "wikitravelers",
1) Useful or not?
- From my experience, Climate data is essencial for travel planning.
- Do you think this information is useful and should be included into articles?
2) Opinion and approval
- I'm asking for your opinion and approval of using Climate data from Weather Atlas (e.g. Dubai) to contribute to Wikitravel articles,
- (the same way I'm doing when enhancing articles on Wikipedia with Climate data and citing data source)
- e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pula#Geography_and_climate
- (I'm declaring potential Conflict of interest, as I'm beeing involved with a company whose data I'm using.
- But since I know how many years and effort has been put into collecting and cross-checking data from over 200 sources, I'm trusting this source over any other.)
3) Styling of Climate data
- Template:Climate has limited predefined options
- Is using modified "wikitable" to show data accepted option?
Pula - Average Ultraviolet index, according to Pula, Croatia - Climate data
- Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy proposal,
- D.Nino (talk) 13:11, 9 March 2017 (EST)
- Climate data are extremely useful, I agree. If we have text to explain weather in a certain region, that is helpful but it's also very useful to have some concrete numbers: [x] average temperature per month, [y] centimeters of precipitation, etc. A small table is very useful. I am unsure about the COI but I'm glad you mentioned it--maybe others care to weigh in. Koavf (talk) 14:11, 9 March 2017 (EST)
- My opinion is that table is the best way to present large qty of data.
- Information is quickly understandable at a glance by anyone.
- As I've mentioned info can be presented in form of tables
- Potential COI and RS is the reason I've asked the community for a verdict ;)
- D.Nino (talk) 15:44, 9 March 2017 (EST)
- Thanks for your input! The template we currently have for a climate table looks good to me too, but if you think it should be changed, it is probably better to discuss it on our main site here or in the Travelers pub so there will be more input from other users. Adzas (talk) 07:03, 12 March 2017 (EDT)