# Your contributions will be more trusted as you become familiar to other Wikitravelers
# Your contributions will be more trusted as you become familiar to other Wikitravelers
| || |
Last but not least, please remember to sign your posts by writing <nowiki>~~~~ .I am looking forward to seeing you on Wikitravel! IBAlex
Last but not least, please remember to sign your posts by writing <nowiki>~~~~.I am looking forward to seeing you on Wikitravel! IBAlex
Revision as of 00:36, 9 January 2013
The Travellers' pub - your watering hole on Wikitravel
The Travellers' pub is where Wikitravellers of all languages get to together to talk about Wikitravel, and where you can ask for help if you're confused, lost, afraid, tired or annoyed by Wikitravel. Please check the FAQ and Help page before asking a question, though, since that may save your time and others'.
If you have question about travel, not the website, try the Wikitravel Extra Forum.
If you are having a problem that you think has to do with the Mediawiki software, please post that on the technical requests page instead.
Please add new questions at the bottom of the page and sign your post by appending four tildes (~~~~) to it, but otherwise plunge forward!
|There are archives available for this page. Please do not edit the archives - instead, start a new thread.
Renaming a file name and caption
I have uploaded a file, and accidentally it had the wrong name and caption (should be Underground, instead of Underwater). I have been going crazing trying to find out how it's possible to rename the name and the caption. I follow help link to help link and so far nothing.
After reading the help info, what is was able to find out is that only admin, file movers, and a few other groups can do it.
Since I don't have that op right, I wasn't able to find out: who should I contact in order to request that file and caption rename.
Does anyone how to help me? And I think it would be helpful if that info is not more clear on help documentation.
- Thank you for your post. I am an admin here and I would gladly help you. Please let me know how you would like to name the file and I will do it for you. Is that a file you are referring to ? The best way to ask for help on Wikitravel is simply to leave a message on the Travellers' Pub, just as you did. I've been checking Pub regularly and I'm doing my best to solve all the problems. You can also contact me on my User Page. Thanks! IBAlex 12:35, 11 December 2012 (EST)
- Yes, it's that image. Thanks, IBAlex.
- That image I used in , the link must also be updated. I don't known if you can also do that, so the broken link has less lifetime. Since the place where I'm now, there isn't always power nor internet.
- I managed to change only the caption from "Underwater" to "Underground" but I'm unable to change the name of the file. What you can do is to upload a new version of the file by clicking here .
- The link is not broken because the name of the page you uploaded the picture on is Sabang (Palawan) and not just Sabang. I hope this helps. Cheers, IBAlex 17:22, 13 December 2012 (EST)
- Finally I arrive into a place where internet is fast enough to upload a new file. I uploaded , and updated the link in Sabang (Palawan).
- So the  file is no longer needed, is there any possibility that you can delete it?
- Sure! I just deleted it. Cheers, IBAlex 11:06, 21 December 2012 (EST)
Right to vanish policy
I feel that we lack a right to vanish policy. The meatball version is to be found here. The Wikipedia version is here. Suggestion: import the current Wikipedia version. Riggwelter 09:46, 12 September 2012 (EDT)
- I agree.
- Perhaps you could plunge forward and create one in your own User namespace and then give us the link so we can ratify it (or not) by consensus? --Alice 21:40, 18 November 2012 (EST)
:ja Thumbnail error?
It seems that we cannot display the shared image when we want to use them as thumbnail images. See ja:クアラルンプール#列車で. I tried several times and it doesn't work, unfortunately. It happens so frequently these days.--Shoestring 17:14, 12 September 2012 (EDT)
- Thank you -- I have reported this to Tech.--IBobi talk email 17:49, 12 September 2012 (EDT)
- It still doesn't work (it seems that the system or database is very much unstable.). When I try to use the image, it often displays the error messages such as "サムネイルの作成中にエラーが発生しました：convert: unable to open image `/var/www/wikitravel/upload/shared/thumb/e/ec/Gondola_cable,_Langkawi,_Kedah,_Malaysia.JPG/160px-Gondola_cable,_Langkawi,_Kedah,_Malaysia.JPG': Permission denied @ blob.c/OpenBlob/2480.", instead (see also here). 'Seems not always happens, but happens so frequently.
- Anyway, I am very much in trouble for about a week and I think this is an urgent matter.--Shoestring 12:55, 15 September 2012 (EDT)
- Edit: Of the two reports, the latter has fixed automatically and the display is now back to its normal. --Shoestring 09:10, 16 September 2012 (EDT)
Finnish Wikitravel need some help
Hey, we have a problem in Finnish Wikitravel. We have some IP user ( & ) making lot of trash by spamming articles from Finnish Wikipedia and Swedish Wikipedia via Google Translate... There are no active admins in Finnish version of Wikitravel. So, could someone come to help us and delete articles from these categories:  & . Roquai 12:56, 9 October 2012 (EDT)
- Is it all from that same IP?--IBobi talk email 13:25, 9 October 2012 (EDT)
- All from IP 126.96.36.199 & IP 188.8.131.52. Same person. Roquai 13:44, 9 October 2012 (EDT)
- We will block the IPs and revert the spam pages. Thanks for keeping an eye out! Have you considered being an admin for the Finnish site?--IBobi talk email 13:46, 9 October 2012 (EDT)
- I am quite sporadic visitor and contributor in Finnish Wikitravel. So I think it would be not good idea to be admin for the Finnish project. But, thanks for cleaning ”our” project. :) Roquai 14:19, 9 October 2012 (EDT)
We have still almost 300 pages waiting for deletion in Finnish Wikitravel: . Almost all of those are made by the same IP... Roquai 09:13, 13 October 2012 (EDT)
There is the same problem in Spanish, Hungarian & , Italian, Polish Wikitravel... Roquai 11:58, 15 October 2012 (EDT)
- Finnish and Spanish are done! - IBcash 15:26, 17 October 2012 (EDT)
- The same user is also vandalizing the French Wikitravel. Could you also block him there please? –sumone10154(talk) 22:39, 31 October 2012 (EDT)
- Done. Thank you.--IBobi talk email 14:29, 1 November 2012 (EDT)
no noticeboard for admins/sysops?
As there seems to be no noticeboard for admins or sysops on WT/S, I will use this one.
The following pages should be deleted as they are used for spam. --Túrelio 11:18, 12 October 2012 (EDT)
- Done! Thank you :) -- IBcash 13:40, 15 October 2012 (EDT)
Hello! I would like to call to action all the administrators and contributors on WT.
For a long time Wikitravel Travel news have been outdated. It is time to change it and keep the Travel Alerts and Current and upcoming events up-to-date. To achieve that, I need your help. Who is willing to offer his/her help? Thank you! IBAlex 16:47, 29 October 2012 (EDT)
Can't find the link after signing in
I searched for Surat (a city in Gujarat, India), and did some corrections on it without logging in - which means the page exists.
Then when I created a login ID and searched for Surat page, it is nowhere to be found. Why is that so? I know the page exists!
- Hello! Is that the page you are referring to? . We have also the whole article on Wikitravel about Surat in case you would like to make some changes there. Please have look . Let me know if it answers your questions. thank you! IBAlex 14:08, 12 November 2012 (EST)
We hired small motorbike in Vang Vieng, Laos from MR TEEP, for 40,000 Kip for the day. We rode to Kaeng Nyui waterfalls, which were 6 Km from town down a bumpy dirt road. We parked the bike next to the ticket kiosk, and when we returned about 30 minutes later, the woman in the kiosk pointed out that our front tyre was flat. She did not speak English, but by gestures offered to phone Mr Teep, which we were grateful for, as our mobiles did not work in Laos. Having spoken to MR TEEP she passed her phone to me, and he explained that he would contact the repair man, who would bring a replacement innertube out and that I would have to pay 50,000 Kip for it. I told him that I had examined the tyre and could see nothing wrong with it and it hopefully only needed pumping up. To which he said that if that was the case, then I would have to pay 2000 or 3000 Kip.
The repair man arrived a few minutes later with a sack with a pump and two different size inner tubes and a few tyre levers. He went to speak to the kiosk woman and so I undid his sack and took out the pump. He came across and protested and showed me the new inner tube. I asked how much, and he wrote 50,000 on his hand. I said "No" and attached the pump and pumped up the tyre. I disconnected the pump and listened for air coming out. It seemed OK. So I decided to ride back to the town and check the tyre again then, knowing that I would probably be able to get it pumped up there. I offered the repairman 3000, but he wanted 5000, which I paid him.
When we got back to town the tyre was OK, and we realised that the woman at the kiosk must have let the tyre down, so that the repairman could swap a perfectly OK tube for an extortionate charge!!! We used the bike for rest of the day, with no problems.
Being in the middle of nowhere without a pump and not speaking the language, most people may well have paid up and been non-the-wiser.
I also feel sure that MR TEEP must have been in on it! Otherwise he would have been suspicious of the number of flat tyres being reported to him by the kiosk woman!!
Don't hire from MR TEEP and more importantly do not park your bike near the ticket kiosk. Other people had taken their motorbikes nearer to the falls, where there is more parking.
- I'm moving this information to en:Vang Vieng discussion page because it will benefit the traveler better over there. Cheers! IBAlex 17:52, 7 January 2013 (EST)
Edit did not save
I recently added a location to Galveston's Do section but when I reloaded the page it was gone.
- If you are talking about the http://wikitravel.org/en/Galveston page on Wikitravel English, it seems that the edit you did with the Plesure Pier etc. is there, and seems fine to me? --OVK 08:48, 27 December 2012 (EST)
Lucy is not from the northern section of Ethiopia. Please check this fact.
Screwed up Ko Lanta
I mistakenly deleted a large portion of Ko Lanta (everything after "Diving") and now I am having difficulty figuring out how to fix the problem. Can someone help me put the page back as it was on 2012-12-26? --184.108.40.206 21:21, 28 December 2012 (EST)
- Looks like you figured it out? Let me know if not!--IBobi talk email 15:43, 3 January 2013 (EST)
Armenia has introduced visa waiver for EU & EEA countries.
Armenia has introduced visa waiver for EU & EEA countries, please update the visa section of this article http://wikitravel.org/en/Armenia .
Full list of countries whose citizens do not need to obtain entry visas for Armenia are available on Wikipedia here
Please fix typo on the main page
The heading "Antartica" should be "Antarctica". I would fix it but apparently don't have permission to edit. Markoboston 19:05, 1 January 2013 (EST)
- Bothered me too -- I just saw your note here but fixed it independently. I won a 5th grade spelling bee getting that extra C in there ;)
- As to editing privileges, yes, we do protect the main page due to the potentially huge exposure to vandalism. Hope you understand, and thank you much for letting us know about the error! --IBobi talk email 15:32, 3 January 2013 (EST)
problem with print version of Hanoi, Vietnam page
The Hanoi information does not print properly. Plaese fix.
- What problem are you having? I just printed it and it came out fine...--IBobi talk email 15:37, 3 January 2013 (EST)
Safety for first year students at UCT any problems as we are in jhb and our son is going to attend cut and we have no immediate family in cape town
We are concerned for our first year going to university of cape town and his physical safety
- This is not really a message board type of website; I would suggest perhaps posting your concern on the Discussion page of the Cape Town article and see if anyone responds; alternately, you can view the history of revisions and see if there are any regular local contributors who you could leave a message for on their Talk Pages.--IBobi talk email 14:37, 7 January 2013 (EST)
I am not impressed. Somebody keeps editing out things, in the Chiang Dao, Thailand page. For example, there are at least 30 resorts and guesthouses in Chiang Dao, most of them a lot better than Nature Home or Chiang Dao Hut. I believe, somebody is maliciously changing previous edits.
- I had a look at that and indeed, some of the resorts were deleted. In this case, feel free to contact the user who made the changes by writing on her user Page  and asking what was the intention of this edit. I am going to do this right now. If you would like to post more listings on en: Chiang Dao page, please en:Plunge forward. Please keep in mind also our policies.
- It is also a good idea to create your own account on Wikitravel because it will give you various benefits:
- Ability to communicate with other writers about your edits and travel tips
- Ability to turn off advertising in your Account Settings
- Credit for your travel writing/edits, which will be attributed to you rather than just an IP address
- Your contributions will be more trusted as you become familiar to other Wikitravelers
Last but not least, please remember to sign your posts by writing ~~~~ .I am looking forward to seeing you on Wikitravel! IBAlex 19:32, 8 January 2013 (EST)
- Here is the explanation why the previous edits on Chiang Dao page were changed . I hope this helps, IBAlex 19:32, 8 January 2013 (EST)