Wikitravel Shared:How to add an image
Articles in Wikitravel can be greatly enhanced with the strategic addition of illustrative images. This article describes how to add images to a page. It assumes that you know:
No extra work is needed to use images on Wikitravel Shared, as the software will automatically check both the Shared and the local image repositories. Note that if the same filename exists on both the local site and the Shared site, the local image has precedence.
Please use thumbnails unless you have a good reason not to. The standard recipe for a thumbnail is as follows:
- [[Image:filename of image|thumb|description of image]]
This will produce a right-aligned thumbnail with a description below; the image will expand to full size if clicked on. The above 'recipe' needs to be on a line of its own.
Some other formatting possibilities are:
- Simple interpolation of images into text
- [[Image:filename of image|description of image]]
- Centered image
- [[Image:filename of image|center|description of image]]
- Left-aligned image
- [[Image:filename of image|left|description of image]]
- Right-aligned image
- [[Image:filename of image|right|description of image]]
Providing a description of the image is useful for low-resolution computers, where the image may not be rendered, and for accessibility for disabled Wikitravel users.
Frame and Caption
You can also give a frame and a caption text to an image by
- Simple frame and caption text
- [[Image:filename of image|frame|description of image]]
- Left-aligned frame
- [[Image:filename of image|frame|left|description of image]]
If you want to specify an exact size which is not the same as the original, please select a factor of the original. For example, if the original is 800 pixels wide, 400 (1:2), 267 (1:3) or 200 (1:4) will scale nicely; for 640, try 320 (1:2) or 160 (1:4). This is particularly important for images containing small text, such as maps.
- Exact image size in pixels
- [[Image:filename of image|sizepx|description of image]]
- Exact thumbnail size in pixels
- [[Image:filename of image|thumb|sizepx|description of image]]
Note that you must add the letters "px" after the image size. Recommended maximum sizes are:
- 250px for normal image thumbnails
- 400px for the article's lead picture
- 500px for maps containing small detail