Ukrainian Wikitravel Expedition
The Ukrainian Wikitravel Expedition is an expedition to create a Ukrainian-language version of Wikitravel.
For more information on multilingual Wikitravel policy, please see Language version policy.
Ukrainian is a language spoken in Ukraine, Moldova, Belarus, Russia, Canada and the United States. There are 50 million native speakers worldwide. These travelers would be well-served by a Wikitravel travel guide in their language.
In addition, contributions in Ukrainian would help the other Wikitravel language versions. Many Ukrainian-speaking areas are major travel destinations; having locals update information in their native tongue (which could then be translated to other languages) would make for better information in all the Wikitravel guides. Ukrainian-speakers are also frequent travelers and would have a lot to contribute on other destinations and topics.
This Expedition has the following goals:
- To collect a good base of Ukrainian-speaking users willing to take this project further.
- To choose a go-between who can keep users on the English-language site up-to-date on developments on Ukrainian Wikitravel, and vice-versa
- To translate the interface files for Wikitravel into Ukrainian
- To launch the new Ukrainian-language Wikitravel.
- To translate the pages and create the infrastructure necessary to make Ukrainian Wikitravel useful and friendly for new Ukrainian-speaking contributors.
- To make Ukrainian Wikitravel an integrated part of the Wikitravel family.
The Language version policy lists the steps necessary to get a Ukrainian-language Wikitravel in place.
Gathering a team of users
To get this project started, we need at least 3 Ukrainian-speaking users willing to help start the Ukrainian Wikitravel. This means helping to translate the interface files, create content on the new Wikitravel, and to create the necessary infrastructure to make Wikitravel welcoming and useful for the next wave of contributors.
If you're interested, please create a user account here on Wikitravel Shared, and sign the list below. To sign, type four tildes (~~~~)
- Kristof 10:41, 11 May 2008 (EDT)
More than 3 users are welcome to sign up, but we need at least 3 to get started.
If there are no objections, Kristof, the person who started this Expedition, has volunteered to act as go-between for this new language.
Language interface file
MediaWiki, the software that runs Wikitravel, uses a language interface file to make the links and names and prompts and stuff readable in other languages. We need to customize a new version to work for Ukrainian Wikitravel.
We can collaboratively do this at LanguageXX.php. It's started off with the Wikipedia language file, and we can use the English en:Wikitravel:Language.php file as a reference for things that need to be changed. It's mostly just changing the name of the site (Wikipedia -> Wikitravel), the name of the license, and the names of some important pages.