Tech:Image thumbnail not shown if filename contains special characters
Image:Nørrebrogade.jpg's thumbnail is not shown because of following errors.
Error creating thumbnail: convert: unable to open image `/var/www/html/wikitravel.org/upload/shared/a/a5/Nrrebrogade.jpg': No such file or directory. convert: missing an image filename `/var/www/html/wikitravel.org/upload/shared/thumb/a/a5/Nrrebrogade.jpg/800px-Nrrebrogade.jpg'.
When it happensEdit
If filename contains "ø", "ö", "ä", "ç", "å".
A few other accented letters are okay, e.g. Image:Aerial view and ferryboat, Îles-de-la-Madeleine (Magdalen Island), Québec.jpg
Pienoiskuvan luominen epäonnistui: convert: unable to open image `/var/www/wikitravel/upload/shared//e/e2/SwedenStockholmGteborg.jpg': No such file or directory. convert: missing an image filename `/var/www/wikitravel/upload/shared//thumb/e/e2/SwedenStockholmGteborg.jpg/180px-SwedenStockholmGteborg.jpg'.
- This appears to be a new bug introduced in an upgrade sometime in late 2008. (?) Jpatokal 04:11, 2 July 2009 (EDT)
- Maybe, the problem is related to upgrade or something like server components change. And this problem occurs with not only letters with diacritical mark, but also any other non-Latin alphabet like Chinese, Hangul, Japanese, etc. -- Tatata 05:54, 2 July 2009 (EDT)
- The similar thumbnail error, maybe the same, is found at Tech:Cache not clearing after editing#Thumbnails show up as gray box. It was reported by User:Shoestring at 09:17, 2 October 2008 (EDT). -- Tatata 12:15, 2 July 2009 (EDT)
- I think is an unrelated cache issue, caused by the thumbnail generation being too slow, and thumbnails eventually come up if you just wait/purge enough. The special character issue, on the other hand, is permanent. Jpatokal 01:22, 3 July 2009 (EDT)
- The thumbnail error reported by User:Shoestring is not a cache issue but a special character issue, since his file name includes "Mahébourg". It means that the special character issue has come up in September 2008. I guess that the special character issue is related to the new server migration or the fix of image generation problem when a cache issue occurred. -- Tatata 12:58, 15 July 2009 (EDT)
- What's the current status on this ticket? Riggwelter 16:50, 23 August 2009 (EDT)
- This should be fixed very soon. I will keep you updated. Ibsteph 5:08 pm, 18 February, 2010
What should happenEdit
Thumbnail should be shown.
How to fix itEdit
Wikitravel's program ignores special characters in file name.
|Original file name||File name in error message||Error message|
|Bus terminal, Mahébourg, Mauritius.JPG||Bus_terminal,_Mahbourg,_Mauritius.JPG||サムネイルの作成中にエラーが発生しました: convert: unable to open image `/var/www/wikitravel/upload/shared//7/74/Bus_terminal,_Mahbourg,_Mauritius.JPG': No such file or directory. convert: missing an image filename `/var/www/wikitravel/upload/shared//thumb/7/74/Bus_terminal,_Mahbourg,_Mauritius.JPG/160px-Bus_terminal,_Mahbourg,_Mauritius.JPG'.|
|Image:全景01.jpg||01.jpg|| Error creating thumbnail: convert: unable to open image `/var/www/html/wikitravel.org/upload/shared/2/29/01.jpg': No such file or directory.
convert: missing an image filename `/var/www/html/wikitravel.org/upload/shared/thumb/2/29/01.jpg/200px-01.jpg'.
Wikimedia Commons' program can handle special characters in file name.
|Original file name||URL for full resolution file (1,600 × 1,200 pixels)||URL for thumbnail file (800 × 600 pixels)|
I think that Wikitravel's program need to do urlencode for file name just like Wikimedia Commons do. -- Tatata 13:53, 15 July 2009 (EDT)
Sign below, pleaseEdit
--Episteme 16:25, 4 November 2008 (EST)