See also en:Wikitravel talk:Russian Wikitravel Expedition
Have anyone seen tripadvisor.ru? It looks very similar to wikitravel concept, but have bit different attidude to licensing and collaboration. I think we should try to join efforts with that guys: even in English wikitravel, community of editors is still too small to reach a good coverage, not to mention to keep content up-to date. The more responsible contributors we have onboard, less time will be required for language version of wikitravel to become mature and able to compete to traditional paper guidebooks. --DenisYurkin 05:24, 5 January 2007 (EST)
- I've taken a quick glance at a Babelfish translation of the link you provided and noticed of a few things:
- they use Wikipedia's GNU licence, which is not compatible with ours;
- they're not a "free" guide since not everyone can edit destination pages, only talk pages;
- they are aware of the Wikitravel's existence but are intentionally working with a different focus "we give the lists of hotels, restaurants, museum, airlines and so on" (is it really that different?);
- they have ads on the site (like we will soon), so I suppose it's more like they're "competitors" for advertising money than potential collaborators.
- Did I get it right? So what kind of cooperation would you have in mind in this case? Ricardo (Rmx) 13:38, 5 January 2007 (EST)
OK, so, since Peter has volunteered to be liaison for this language version, I've unlocked it and it's ready for editing. Peter, can you please contact the people who've signed up on this expedition to let them know that we're open? And, when you feel ready, could you announce on shared: and on en: that ru: is now launched? --Evan 21:29, 28 July 2007 (EDT) P.S. This is really exciting!
- Sure. I'm not very aware of how things are usually done, but my feeling is that I would like to get a few policy pages up and running (and of course the pub, where else would we get a drink) before declaring the launch. I'll get to work! --Peter 02:00, 29 July 2007 (EDT)
- Great! Make sure to contact (using the email-this-user function, or failing that their user pages) the people who've signed up for this expedition. You've got a lot of folks who've volunteered to help out! --Evan 07:17, 29 July 2007 (EDT)