Indonesian Wikitravel Expedition
The Indonesian Wikitravel Expedition is an expedition to create a Indonesian-language version of Wikitravel.
For more information on multilingual Wikitravel policy, please see Language version policy.
Indonesian (Bahasa Indonesia) is the main language of en:Indonesia and one of the working languages of en:East Timor. Being closely related to Malay, it is also understood in en:Malaysia, en:Brunei and en:Singapore. There are over 250 million native speakers worldwide. These travelers would be well-served by a Wikitravel travel guide in their language.
In addition, contributions in Indonesia would help the other Wikitravel language versions. Many Indonesian-speaking areas are major travel destinations; having locals update information in their native tongue (which could then be translated to other languages) would make for better information in all the Wikitravel guides.
This Expedition has the following goals:
- To collect a good base of Indonesian-speaking users willing to take this project further.
- To choose a go-between who can keep users on the English-language site up-to-date on developments on Indonesian Wikitravel, and vice-versa
- To translate the interface files for Wikitravel into Indonesian
- To launch the new Indonesian-language Wikitravel.
- To translate the pages and create the infrastructure necessary to make Indonesian Wikitravel useful and friendly for new Example-speaking contributors.
- To make Indonesian Wikitravel an integrated part of the Wikitravel family.
The Language version policy lists the steps necessary to get a Indonesian-language Wikitravel in place.
Gathering a team of users
To get this project started, we need at least 3 Indonesian-speaking users willing to help start the Indonesian Wikitravel. This means helping to translate the interface files, create content on the new Wikitravel, and to create the necessary infrastructure to make Wikitravel welcoming and useful for the next wave of contributors.
If you're interested, please create a user account here on Wikitravel Shared, and sign the list below. To sign, type four tildes (~~~~)
- Tedonk21 07:36, 23 February 2008 (EST) Tedonk21 06:48, 23 February 2008 (EST)
- KrizID 05:22, 7 January 2009 (EST)
- Time_trex 11:44, 9 May 2010 (EST)
- Haikaleki 16:24, 9 February 2011 (EST)
- Filbert 01:43, 5 March 2011 (EST)
- Istif 06:41, 23 March 2011 (EDT)
- RonaldyW 13:44, 8 March 2012
More than 3 users are welcome to sign up, but we need at least 3 to get started.
If there are no objections, tedonk21 has volunteered to act as go-between for this new language.
Language interface file
MediaWiki, the software that runs Wikitravel, uses a language interface file to make the links and names and prompts and stuff readable in other languages. We need to customize a new version to work for Indonesian Wikitravel. Once the language version is launched, this can be done online by editing Special:Allmessages.