Thank you Alex, for your kind words. Currently, as far as I know, I'm the only native Romanian speaker admin left on this slowly dying version of WT (don't worry, it has been like this for the last couple of years, way before since the more recent events). I'm not sure what IB intends to do with WT, but I can say that I didn't like the way you (and I mean IB employees) suddenly appeared, made themselves admins, removed bureaucrat rights (from myself for instance etc.), and now you come and say thanks for all that I've been doing? I'm really not sure how to interpret that. Anyways, I reckon that besides myself, you also messaged the other 2 persons that expressed interest in a Romanian version of the upcoming travel site under the WikiMedia Foundation umbrella. So, here is what I think: as long as I'm allowed I'll keep an eye on WT (but personally I doubt you'll ever be able to revive a community around this website, on Romanian Wikipedia people are already aware of the new travel website and I guess people will come there), I will; if you want to remove my administrative rights, feel free to do so, there are still things that I can do without (but if I'm to revert the same spambot over and over without being able to block it, I will no longer do it). All the best! --Vlad 26 octombrie 2012 11:21 (EEST)
- Dear Vlad! Thank you very much for your answer!
- I value a lot your presence and contributions on WT. It has never crossed my mind to remove your administrative rights. I am very thankful and happy to know that there is somebody on the Romanian Wikitravel who takes care of the site...
- Recently, as you mentioned, IB has been facing a new challenge which made us implement some changes. IB needed to remove some admin and bureaucrat privilages because unfortunately many previous-admins started abusing them and harming the site...IB in order to protect WT had to take some steps and that is why some new admins appeared on the site (including me). We do our best to protect the site from Spammers and Vandalism but we still need valuable contributors, especially for foreign language versions of the site.
- IB and me personally, we truly believe that WT has still a big and supportive community that would not leave the site.
- I would love to stay in touch with you! Thank you agian for your great contribution to WT! Cheers! IBAlex 3 noiembrie 2012 01:29 (EET)
- Hello again, Aleksandra, thank you as well for getting back to me. When I was mentioning admin rights removal, I was referring exactly to cases like you mentioned. However, I've never heard of their action as abusing and harming the site, would you be so kind and give some of such examples? As far as I know, abusive actions from admin could be page deletion (but I've never heard of this happening, and deletion can be reversed) and abusive blocking (but this can be undone).
- About new IB admins, here are my thoughts: since IB acquired WT, the WT community was left alone; only when this community, dissatisfied with the way IB was treating WT (by not responding to technical requests of MediaWiki software upgrade, site slowness etc.) started to organize to leave, it's only then that IB realized what this would mean (a user content generated website without users its completely useless) and lo and behold, IB self appointed admins. The action somewhat makes sense, but only if done 6 years ago; now it just looks like imposing.
- And finally, yes, you do need contributors, especially on non-English languages (pretty much every other language). Even with the help of Google Translate, it's practically impossible to manage a website in a language you don't speak. --Vlad 3 noiembrie 2012 07:53 (EET)
Thank you, IBAlex, for trust!
I contributed sporadically to WT, because I am a busy user and I work in another field of activity than tourism. However, I like the tourism and I wrote about the places I know better because I visited them, and also posted up about places I know less. I am a relative new user, Wikitravel is not the only site I wrote about travelling, but I could learn and help this project go further. --Histria12 26 octombrie 2012 15:43 (EEST)
- Hello Histria12! Thank you for your message!
- I am happy to hear that you are willing to help the WT Project! I truly believe that Romanian WT can grow a lot, especially with the help of great administrators that are on the site, for example User:Vlad.
- Since you mentioned that you are a relatively new user I am sending you some useful material that can help you start contributing, like tips for new contributors page, policies and guidelines and style as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out en:Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub and please know, you can always contact me.
- Looking forward to seeing you here oftern! Cheers! -- ~~