- For other places with the same name, see Zealand (disambiguation).
Zeeland is a province of the Netherlands consisting of islands and peninsulas interconnected by the dams and bridges of the Delta Works (Deltawerken). Translated into English, it literally means sea land because that's basically what it is. The capital city is Middelburg.
The area is very flat making it ideal terrain for cycling.
Zeeland was subject to heavy flooding in 1953 during a north-wester storm at springtide. The Dutch government instituted the Delta Works to protect the province. The entire system of dams, dikes and bridges is present throughout the province and all the way up to Rotterdam in South Holland.
- The Official website of the province Zeeland. This site is accessible in four languages: Nederlands, English, Deutsch and Francais.
Zeeland is in the south-west of the country. While all the islands are interconnected and connected to the mainland by fast roads now, the province still retains a somewhat insular nature. On summer days major roads may become busy since there are no good alternatives for them.
There is a national rail link connecting Flushing, Middelburg and Goes via Bergen op Zoom en Roosendaal (both in North-Brabant) to the national system. Train service is frequent (every half hour).
For some destinations in Zeeland, Brussel Airport is closer then Rotterdam or Schiphol Airport. There is a national rail intercity connection from Schiphol Airport to Flushing stopping at al major stations.
As almost everywhere in The Netherlands exploring on bike is a good idea. There is an excellent infrastructure of cycle paths. Signed bicycle routes along points (Dutch: Knooppuntennetwerk) allow you to set up your own route through the beautiful landscape.
Connexxion  operates a good bus network in most of the province, although some services are reduced in terms of frequency or routes in the weekend and late nights.
Veolia  operates the bus network on Zeeuws-Vlaanderen.
NS , the national railway, provide frequent connections between Flushing, Middelburg, Goes and some smaller towns.
- The Oosterschelde storm surge barrier, a massive operable sea dam with an artificial island at its center.
- When you're really interested in this Oosterscheldekering you can visit Neeltje Jans . This is an attraction where you learn everything about water and the Delta Works (Deltawerken).
- Veerse Meer -This is a lake or inland lagoon that was closed off to the sea in 1961. See