York  is a city in the Susquehanna Valley region of southern Pennsylvania. It is billed as the "factory tour capital of the world" for its numerous factory tours. It was a major city in US revolutionary history as well, hosting the Continental Congress for a time. It is often viewed by locals as the first capital of the United States but it is unsure if this is actually true because it was never officially named the capital and it was only viewed as the capital because the Articles of Confederation were adopted in the York County Courthouse.
York has no local international airport, but nearby Harrisburg has the Harrisburg International Airport .
Nearby Lancaster has an AMTRAK  stop on the Philadelphia to Pittsburgh line. Nearby Harrisburg also has a transportation center that provides service for AMTRAK  trains on the same line.
Using a car is the easiest way to arrive in York. The following highways connect the city with others in the region:
- I-83 south Harrisburg and I-83 north Baltimore
- US-30 west Lancaster & Philadelphia and US-30 east Gettysburg
Greyhound  operates a station in York with connections to Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and beyond.
Walking is the easiest way to explore the downtown area, as everything is close enough together. Municipal parking garages are available with very reasonable rates ($0.75/hr). Rabbit Transit is also an option when getting around the city but can be fairly expensive if used multiple times for short distances. All day passes are available though for those that want to use the bus to get around. Go to  for more information.
- Wolfgang Candy Company Factory Tour, 50 E. 4th Ave., . Take the Wolfgang Factory Tour! Free samples of chocolate on the tour and discounted chocolate for sale at the end. M-F 10AM & 2PM, FREE. Museum also open M-F 9AM-4PM, Sa 10AM-3PM.
- Harley Davidson Factory Tour, 1425 Eden Road York, PA (Factory is visible on left side of Rt 30 when travelling Eastbound), ☎ 1-877-883-1450, . Come see where America's favorite motorcycles are made. Tours are free and last about one hour. Please dress appropriately for factory tours. Reservations requested for group of 10 or more.
- Martin's Potato Chip Factory Tour, 5847 Lincoln Highway (US Route 30) (Take US route 30 West to Thomasville), ☎ 1-800-272-4477, . Tuesdays 9AM, 10AM, and 11AM. Take a 45 minute tour of the Martin's Potato Chip Factory. Reservations required. Free.
- Snyder's of Hanover Factory Tour, 1350 York Street (From US route 30, turn left onto Carlisle Street (route 94), left onto Frederick Street (route 194) at center square of Hanover, right onto York Street (route 116), plant is on the left), ☎ 1-800-233-7125 Ext. 8592, . T-R 10AM, 11AM, and 1PM. Take a 1 hour tour of the Snyder's of Hanover Pretzel Company Reservations are required at least 24 hours in advance of tour. Free.
- Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center, 50 North George Street (Exit 15 off Interstate 83 towards George Street), ☎ 717-846-1111, . Hours vary. Go see performances from local and national stars on stage. Ticket prices are fair since this is a non-profit organization. Price varies.
- York Barbell Factory Tour, 3300 Board Rd York, PA 17406. One of the largest producers of weight lifting and exercise equipment, it produces some of the equipment used by Olympic athletes, and can be found all across the world.
- York Revolution, 50 Washington St., . An independent minor league baseball team that plays in the Atlantic League. They play at Sovereign Bank Stadium in downtown York. Season lasts from May to September.
- York Expo Center (York Fair Grounds), 334 Carlisle Avenue (Exit 21B off Interstate 83 onto US route 30 west, exit at Carlisle Avenue (route 74), left at light, stay in left lane for approx. 1 mile, destination on the right), ☎ 717-848-2596, . The York Expo Center hosts many events throughout the year including the York Fair in September which is currently America's longest running public fair.
Historic Downtown York: Take a tour through downtown York to see the city's historic roots.
- York Barbell Weight Lifting Hall of Fame, 3300 Board Rd York, PA 17406. Take a tour of the worlds largest weight lifting producer, also visit the weight lifting hall of fame
- Heritage Hills Hotel and Golf Resort, 2700 Mount Rose Avenue York PA, 17403, ☎ 1-877-Stay-Play. Fun for the entire family, Eat at the Pub, or for more finder dining Iron Woods. A golf course voted one of Pennsylvania's best and in the winter time a snow tubing experience that cant be forgotten at Avalanche Express. There is also a miniature golf course and summer kids camps. Heritage Hills even has a spa and hair stylist.
- West Manchester Mall, 1800 Loucks Road York, PA 17404, ☎ 717-764-5942. A great mall with tons of shops and restaurants, also the Regal Cinemas movie theater is there.
- Wolfgang Candy, 50 E. 4th Ave., . Wolfgang Chocolate factory store with chocolate to please anybody.
- Stauffer's Cookie Outlet, Belmont and Sixth Avenue, ☎ 888-480-1988, . Stauffer's cookie's are sold from an outlet store in downtown York.
- West Manchester Mall, 1800 Loucks Road (headed west away from York city-turn right at the Olive Garden, then left at the next light), ☎ 717-764-5942, . M-Sat 10AM-9PM, Sun 12PM-5PM. Go shopping, have dinner, and catch a newly released movie all in the same location.
- York Galleria, One York Galleria, York PA 17402. A great two story mall with a food court, sears, Bon Ton and JCPenny. Great fun for everyone. It has something for everyone and even has an arcade.
- York Central Market House, 34 W. Philadelphia St., . Numerous food stalls perfect for lunch time browsing. Reasonable prices and something for everyone ($3-6).
- The Left Bank, 120 N. George Street York, PA 17401, ☎ 717-843-8010. Named for the Left Bank in Paris France, this restaurant offers a wide variety of international cuisine at affordable prices.
- The Roosevelt Tavern, 50 N Penn Street York, PA 17401, ☎ 717-854-7725. This building dates back to 1860 and is one of the finest restaurants in York, famous for the delicious cream of crab soup.
- Club XS. Fantastic upscale night club with live DJ dance music, 3 bars.
- Jackie B's, 300 Mulberry St, ☎ (717) 854-6247. 11am to 12am. Best food for the money in York, from wings prime rib steaks seafood!
- Banana Max, 2650 Eastern BLVD. York, PA 17402. A bar, Drink specials on Thursday and Saturday 8-12, DJ dance party Tues- Sat. Friday Happy Hour and Free food at the Buffet
- Cobblestones, 205 S. George Street York, PA 17403, ☎ 717-848-3866. A restaurant and sports emporium, with 67 beers on tap. The perfect place to watch the big game or to simply go and relax with friends. 6 Pro sized pool tables, a balcony for private viewing, NTN trivia, and over 40 TV's including 4 large HD projection screens
- Four Points by Sheraton, 1650 Toronita Street (Exit 21A off Interstate 83, left onto Toronita Street, quick left into hotel), ☎ 717-846-4940, . All guests are welcome to use the large indoor pool, resturant & bar, the high-speed internet in all of the redesigned guest rooms, cable TV, and all rooms are non-smoking. Great rates are available for great customoer service and rooms.
- Holiday Inn Express, 140 Leader Heights Road (Exit 14 off Interstate 83), ☎ 717-741-1000, . checkin: 3:00PM; checkout: 11:00AM. All rooms include a microwave and mini-fridge, and complimentary wi-fi. Free hot breakfast. 99.99 and up.
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson, 245 St. Charles Way (Exit 16A off of 83), ☎ 717-747-5833, . checkin: 3:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. This hotel features country-style décor, free high speed internet, an indoor pool and fitness center.
- Hampton Inn, 1550 Mount Zion Road (Mount Zion exit off US route 30), ☎ 717-840-1500, . checkin: 3:00PM; checkout: 11:00AM. All rooms include cable and premium TV channels, a refrigerator, and free internet access.
- The Yorktowne Hotel, 48 East Market Street (Exit 15 off Interstate 83 towards South George Street, turn right onto East Market Street), ☎ 717-848-1111, . Free Wi-Fi, valet parking, washer and dryer, and two on site restaurants (including one that is rated four diamonds by AAA) are all located at the three star Yorktowne Hotel.
- Wingate by Wyndham, Arsenal Road And North George Street (Exit 15 off Interstate 83 towards George Street, cross over US route 30 and hotel will be on the right), ☎ 717-848-2100, . All guests can enjoy a free hot continental breakfast, free high-speed wired and wireless internet, and the indoor heated pool.
- Red Roof Inn, 125 Arsenal Road (Exit 21B off Interstate 83), ☎ 717-843-8175, . checkin: 1:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. All rooms offer high-speed internet access, cable TV in all rooms, and well behaved pets are welcome.
- Heritage Hills, 2700 Mount Rose Ave York, PA 17403. One of the nicest hotels in York, with many other amenities offered. See above: to do in York.
You can find out more information about the city of York by going to:  and you can find out more about the county of York by visiting: .
Nearby destinations suitable for day trips include:
- Gettysburg — Explore Civil War country.
- Harrisburg — Explore the Capital of Pennsylvania.
- Hershey (Pennsylvania) — Explore chocolate country.
- Lancaster (Pennsylvania) — Explore Amish country.
- Gifford Pinchot State Park  is a fifteen minute drive north of York along I-83 and offers camping, canoe/kayak rentals, a small beach, and other outdoor fun. It has camp ground available for rent and is right off of lake Redman and is open for family fun in the sun. Nature walks is also a huge attraction, and adventuring through the trails Pinchot has to offer is an exciting day for any thrill seeker.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!