The municipality is largely forest and swamps with some fells in the west. The most important location is the area around Yllästunturi (Ylläs fell).
Kittilä airport is about 50km west from Ylläs. There you may take a bus or airport taxi. Another possibility is to fly in Sweden from Stockholm to Luleå and from there to Pajala airport . There you may take an airport taxi for the 30km trip to Finland.
Kolari is the northernmost train station in Finland. During the winter season there is a direct train connection daily from Helsinki via Tampere; at 995 kilometers, this is the longest single train route in Finland. An overnight trip takes 13 hours and is most comfortable in a sleeping cabin. Sometimes the train contains a special club car serving as a nightclub during the trip.
Drive by E75 from Helsinki to the north. Switch to E8 after Kemi. Drive to Kolari and follow signs to either Äkäslompolo or Ylläsjärvi.
By bus or taxi. In villages everything is within walking distance.
Most Finns are fluent in English, and Ylläs is no exception. Russian is also spoken by some people here, due to large numbers of Russian tourists.
- Lainio Snow Village  is located near Ylläs, somewhat halfway between Ylläsjarvi and Kittilä.
- St. Lauri's Chapel is located in Äkäslompolo.
- Winter sports
Ylläs is Finland's largest downhill ski resort in terms of total drop (465 m), single slope length (3000 m) and number of slopes (60 slopes in total).
The most important locations are Äkäslompolo and Ylläsjärvi villages  located on different sides of Yllästunturi. Around the fells there is the largest network of ski tracks (330 kilometers) in Finland.
Currently, several T-lifts and one chairlift line are available. The chairlift line only operates at good weather. There is also one gondola lift line operating at Ylläsjarvi and it was opened on February 9, 2008 at 12 o'clock noon .
Both resorts maintain snow parks for freestyle snowboarding. These parks contain various sizes of jumps (kickers) for beginners and pros. There are also a good selection of jibbing rails (especially on the south side). However, half-pipes are usually absent.
- Snow safari
Ylläs travel agencies offer practice of traditional Lappish activities like husky or reindeer sleigh trips, visits to reindeer farms and traditional Sami yarangas, as well as snowmobile safaris. In Äkäslompolo village all the safari providers are located near the Supermarket on Sivulantie. Go and check out the different companies before booking your tours! Some providers might offer special trip and/or good discounts if booking more than just 1 Activity!
The Ylläs area hosts two major music festivals: Ylläs Jazz Blues  in February and Ylläs Soikoon  in July. There are also always different concerts in the larger Restaurants and Nightclubs in both villages.
- Visitor Center Kellokas, Tunturintie 54, ☎ +358405502424, . Become acquainted with the nature of the Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park and its wide range of hiking possibilities. At Kellokas you will find Ylläs Café Milli, Kellokas Gallery, the Ylläs Travel Association and Kolari municipality’s Ylläs tourist information. edit
- St.Lauri´s chapel, Kotivaarantie, 95970 Äkäslompolo. There are concerts at St Lauri´s chapel in Äkäslompolo, too. edit
- Gifts by Wood Jewel , particulary from any souvenir shop in either Kolari, Ylläs or Levi.
- Lakkalikööri, a signature Lappish cloudberry liqueur, from Äkäslompolo Alko store.
- Cloudberry jam or sauce, from any retail store.
- Holiday Resort Seita (Lomakeskus Seita), Tiurajärventie 36A 95970 Äkäslompolo, ☎ +35816569211, . The house is known for its good food. After having breakfast you may pack your picnic bread with you from the breakfast buffet. After sauna our delicious dinner buffet is waiting for you. Our pride is mouthwatering food, which is well-known in the whole region. edit
The Ylläs area is one of the largest winter sport resorts in Finland and it has a great variety of accommodation opportunities.