The Travellers' pub is the place to ask questions when you're confused, lost, afraid, tired, annoyed, thoughtful, or helpful. Please check the FAQ and Help page before asking a question, though, since that may save your time and others'.
Please add new questions at the bottom of the page and sign your post by appending four tildes (~~~~) to it, but otherwise plunge forward!
Please sweep the pub
Keeping the Pub clean is a group effort. If we have too many conversations on this page, it will get too noisy and hard to read. If you see an old conversation (i.e. three months after the last comment in that discussion) that could or should be moved to a talk page, please do so, and note there that it has been swept in from the pub.
- A question regarding a destination article should be swept to the article discussion page
- A discussion regarding a policy or the subject of an expedition can be swept to the policy or expedition discussion page
- A simple question asked by a user can be swept to that user's talk page, but consider if the documentation needs a quick update to make it clearer for the next user with the same question.
- A pointer to a discussion going on elsewhere, such as a notice of a star nomination or or a request to comment on another talk page, can be removed when it is two months old. Any discussion that occurred in the pub can be swept to to where the main discussion took place.
Any discussions that do not fall into any of these categories, and are not of any special importance for posterity, should be archived to Wikitravel:Travellers' pub/Archives and removed from here. If you are not sure where to put a discussion, let it be—better to spend your efforts on those that you do know where to place.
New administrators nomination
We have a new nomination for the administrator on Wikitravel. Please have a look at Administrator nominations. Best, IBAlex 20:34, 3 December 2012 (EST)
Town of Rochester, New York
There is Town of Rochester (Ulster County)  in New York State which is different from the larger, more familiar City of Rochester (Monroe County) in New York State. How would I add (name) the Town of Rochester here? The two Rochesters are over a hundred miles apart, not related at all. gamweb 18:10, 8 December 2012 (EST)
- Hi Gamweb! Thank you for your message. The best way is to create a page for Town of Rochester from the scratch since it doesn't exist here. Please have a look . You would need to select the best template and just plunge forward. Don't worry if you don't know how to fill out all the sections- someone will be along to help with it later! Once the page is created, we would need to create a Disambiguation Page, similar to this one so that nobody will get confused with the destination. Please let me know if there is anything else i can help with. Greetings, IBAlex 13:42, 10 December 2012 (EST)
- There is already a disambiguation page at Rochester. I would suggest Rochester_(Ulster_County) might be best, county names are often used when there is more than one place of the same name in a state / country. But it worth asking "what do people say locally?", when buying a bus ticket to the town from the other side of the state, as this may suggest a better name. AlasdairW 18:47, 10 December 2012 (EST)
- Nice!--IBobi 18:49, 10 December 2012 (EST)
User Blist has recently created a page with a list of requested articles that still don't exist on Wikitravel. Please plunge forward and help us grow! Looking forward to your contributions! Best, IBAlex 18:13, 11 December 2012 (EST)
New Page - Kerhonkson
I just created new page for Kerhonkson, New York. It's been a while since I made a new page. Please look it over to see what's missing. (Auxiliary wikilinks) gamweb 22:48, 12 December 2012 (EST)
- Great job! Thank you! I needed to change the headline "Go next" to "Get out" because that's still the proper name Wikitravel uses for this section. We would be changing this headline soon throughout all the articles. I'm looking forward to more contributions from you. Thank you again! Cheers! IBAlex 15:10, 13 December 2012 (EST)
- Sorry about that. I was working in "parallel" with another travel site at the same time (enough said). gamweb 16:04, 13 December 2012 (EST)
- No worries. Thank you! IBAlex 16:35, 13 December 2012 (EST)
- Ellenville, near Kerhonkson. Give it a look over. I still have to add some photos. gamweb 23:18, 16 December 2012 (EST)
- Page looks great! Are there any other destinations you are planning to work at? Best, IBAlex 16:39, 17 December 2012 (EST)
Here is a list of articles that have been rated as Usable and need some attention. Please feel free to plunge forward and add some information. If you think that some of the articles shouldn't be there, please let us know. See this page for a description of what qualifies an article for different statuses. Thank you! IBAlex 18:32, 17 December 2012 (EST)
Some and some
I already run seahouseswebsite.co.uk for my community. I made half a dozen or so edits to the Wikitravel page about Seahouses but what now appears on-line includes only some of those edits - in some cases leaving ungrammatical sentences. What did I do wrong? Should I try again or is there some reason why my edits were edited?
My edits included a reference to the Farne Islands. No Wikitravel page existed so I've just written one but I'm quite sure it needs proper formatting etc.
Ideally can someone respond to [email protected]?
Bonniedougall 09:47, 18 December 2012 (EST)
- Dear Bonniedougall! Some of the edits you made had to be deleted because you inserted too many external links on one page (there were 10 links leading to the same domain). Please read our external links policies to get more information. A couple of links on a page is ok but it is not our aim on Wikitravel to fill up the articles with external links. Anyone reading Seahouses article will see the link even if it's only one. I hope you understand.
- I also noticed that you created Farne Islands page. We already had a page about Farne Islands, please have a look. That is why I need to ask you to merge the information on the page you created with the existing one. We do not duplicate pages on Wikitravel. Thank you! Warm regards, IBAlex 18:22, 18 December 2012 (EST)
OK Alex, I've had another go which should be more compliant. And I'm suggesting that the page entitled THE Farne Islands should be scrapped.Bonniedougall 06:34, 20 December 2012 (EST)
- Bonniedougall- would you mind putting a template on the Farne Islands page you created? The page would look nicer and more organized. In this way I would be able to delete The Farne Islands. Thank you! IBAlex 11:35, 20 December 2012 (EST)
Having mentioned the Holy Island of Lindisfarne on 'my' Seahouses page, and there having been no Holy Island of Lindisfarne page, I have created one - ready for the Lindisfarne folk to develop. So I have left an email with them, at, drawing their attention to the matter.
Bonniedougall 08:47, 20 December 2012 (EST)
- There is a Lindisfarne page aleady. I made yours a redirect to that. Pashley 08:56, 20 December 2012 (EST)
We are planning to revitalize Wikitravel and our community! In 2013 we would like to improve technicality and usability of the site and we are open to any ideas! Please let us know of any new features you would like to have on WT and share with us your suggestions on how to make Wikitravel better. Thank you! IBAlex 14:20, 20 December 2012 (EST)
- Please list the appropriate pages to make suggestions. --184.108.40.206 03:16, 2 January 2013 (EST)
- Please enable the API. I would love to use Wikitravel with my iPad App (Wikipanion) 220.127.116.11 06:24, 14 January 2013 (EST)
Policy on free-riding tips
I got some second thoughts about deleting tips on how to evade a station entrance fee in Stockholm-Arlanda Airport: Link to change log What is Wikitravel's policy for riding transports, or entering venues, without a proper ticket? Is it a no-no, or are there circumstances when such information is allowed? /Blist 19:12, 23 December 2012 (EST)
- There is an Wikitravel:Illegal_activities_policy. AlasdairW 19:14, 26 December 2012 (EST)
- Based on the above policy I'd say it's clear that info should be deleted. It could be argued as acceptable e.g. if there's an official requirement to pay for a ticket but everybody ignores it and it isn't controlled or sanctioned - falling somewhat loosely under "Where police or public corruption mean that the written law of the land differs substantially from the practise of law enforcement." Maaaybe applicable in this case if all local U-30 people do it. Berserk 23:36, 26 December 2012 (EST)
- Related is Gävle, where I saw the need to point out that burning the Gävle Goat is illegal, since the goats have been burnt down by foreign travellers, who were deceived by locals to commit the act, with legal consequences. /Blist 15:50, 27 December 2012 (EST)
Many articles on Wikitravel are very well developed and serve as a great source of information for many Travelers. We should nominate the best ones as Star Articles and feature them on the Main Page. I nominated Bangkok today. Please let me know what you think and if you have any other candidates. IBAlex 15:23, 14 January 2013 (EST)
We have updated today the Main Page and added a fully new section with Top Destinations. Right now we are featuring Top Destinations 2013 and Top Ski Destination. We would like to change this section frequently and we are open to your ideas for future top places around the world, for example:
- Top Beaches
- Top Hiking Places
What are your ideas? Please let us know. Thank you! IBAlex 13:10, 18 January 2013 (EST)
Is there anyone here interested in Making a trip to Tanzania?
I will like to know if there're any here who is interested in making a trip to Tanzania, home to Africa's highest mountain (Mt Kilimanjaro). Tanzania is one of the most beautiful countries in Africa and while in Tanzania, you would get the opportunity to either climb Africa's Highest mountain (Mt Kilimanjaro, or Africa's 5th Highest mountain ( Mt Meru) or explore the endless planes of Serengeti national park or Ngorongoro crater which stages incredible spectacle of animal behavior. There's so much to see in Tanzania. If there is, anyone interested in visiting, please kindly let me know,, I have got an offer for you.
- Thank you, Snoovy! I'm putting this message on the Tanzania Talk Page. In this case more people might see it. Are you often traveling to Tanzania? Have you seen Mount Kilimanjaro? Would be great to see your contributions on those pages; I'm sure that would benefit many travelers! Warm regards, IBAlex 12:49, 28 January 2013 (EST)
- This sort of stuff belongs at Wikitravel Extra, not on the wiki. Talk pages aren't for planning holidays or finding travel buddies. Please reread the policy at Wikitravel:Using talk pages, IBAlex. 18.104.22.168 00:07, 3 February 2013 (EST)
- 22.214.171.124, I am aware that Talk Pages are not the best place for "questions, comments, or personal stories about a destination or topic" as you might read in the policy pages. Knowing however, that Wikitravel Extra is currently not active as it used to be, for the pure traveler's benefit I decided to move the post to Tanzania Talk Page so that it is not left without a notice. Warm regards, IBAlex 13:03, 4 February 2013 (EST)
Interestingly, we have the option to book hotels for the moon with the orbitz booking tool. 19:12, 11 February 2013 (EST)
- Hi! Thanks for notifying us! I'm afraid this option will have to be disabled soon :) Cheers! IBAlex 19:21, 11 February 2013 (EST)
Default image sizes in Thumbnails
Currently, all unregistered users (and those logged-on, registered users that have not bothered to change their preferences at
- My Preferences > Appearance > Thumbnail size
from the default)
view thumbnails at the (relatively small) default width of 180px
Since this default was set 10 years ago, connection speeds have typically increased (and prices reduced) worldwide.
I would, therefore, like to suggest that the default size be modestly increased to 250px and the pick selection be changed from:
$wgThumbLimits = array(
$wgThumbLimits = array(
The relevant variable in LocalSettings.php on the server in which to set this range of thumbnail size options is, I think, $wgThumbLimits. (And see also in the Manual's FAQ, How do I change default user preferences and $wgDefaultUserOptions].)
Does anyone disagree and, if so, why? --118dot93dot73dot30 19:10, 28 February 2013 (EST)