When giving times and dates, such as for opening and closing times of attractions, restaurants and bars, use the following format.
Use the format of 10:30AM-5PM. It can be assumed that time is in the local timezone.
Use noon and midnight, not 12AM or 12PM.
- Decimals not used when not required, eg 5PM, not 5:00PM.
- Where decimals are required, use a colon as the separator, eg 5:30PM, not 5.30PM or 5-30PM.
- Spaces and periods (fullstops) should be left out, eg 10:30AM-5PM, not 10:30 A.M. – 5 P.M.
- Spaces should be left out for noon and midnight too, eg 10AM-noon.
- 12-hour format rather than 24-hour format, eg 5PM, not 1700.
Days of the Week
Abbreviate to the minimum number of letters, ie M Tu W Th F Sa Su.
- Spell out when it is part of a named day, eg Good Friday, Fat Tuesday.
- If it looks odd or ambiguous in a particular context, spell it out.
- Spaces should be left out, eg M-F not M - F or M thru F.
- Leave the dash out for a pair of days, eg Sa Su not Sa-Su.
- When combining days with time, put the days first, eg M-F 10AM-2PM rather than 10AM-2PM M-F.
- For all seven days, use "daily". Do not use "every day" or "Su-Sa".
Use the date format of 10 Jan 2003.
Abbreviate months to three letters, ie Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec.
Avoid using dates such as 10/1/03, 10-1-03 or 10/1/2003 as this can mean 10 Jan 2003 or 1 Oct 2003 to different people.