Log - Swedish Wikitravel
What's been done(all by myself in 4 days!)
- All information and help pages done or close to done.
- The Traveller's Pub has been cleaned up and relevant discussions put in seperate pages in the Wikitraveldiskussion namespace.
- All countries have a template-skeleton, as for now they may be empty but it will be easier for visitors to add information until we got to them.
- A "Questionable information"-tag as been made as a template, to be put on pages where people find information they are skeptical too. The tag will automaticly create a link to a discussion page in the Wikitraveldiskussion namespace, as well as encourage anyone with knowledge to edit the questioned information.
- Main page Wikitravel Guide re-done. Put all European regions under Europe, as well as adding information on all world regions. I also put the welcome text in a box as on en:. QUESTION! Look on the Swedish Main Page, scroll down to "Wikitravelprojektet". Why isn't the text centered?
- Everything on the Main Page had been put in separate templates. This made editing a misery. I put back all text on the Main Page. Later I propose we put everything in the templates again as some parts rarely will be edited.
- Get the "Destination of the month"-nomination going.
- Contactpage/list of all members. With location information, the purpose is that if you need pictures or are having difficulties finding information you should be able to contact a Wikitraveller living in or close to that location.
- Upcoming journey announcement. Whenever a member has plans to go somewhere, they should announce it here, making it possible for other member to request pictures from that location.
- Synchronize en: and sv:. Encourage people to sync en: and sv: articles. This goes for plain information only. I.e. a user finds something on sv: that isn't on the english counterpart, he/she then adds the information to the english article.
- Travelnews. Getting the travelnews section on the first page up and running.
- In the guidelines it says that articles on Wikitravel should only be general and not consists of list of i.e. restaurants, hotels, etc. I'm a bit skeptical to this rule, I'd love to have a list of all available restaurants at the destination I'm at. With at short description and perhaps some contact information(adress, phone, homepage(if existing)). The problem would be keeping the informaiton up to date, but if we manage to get many users I think this would be possible.
- Removing inactive sysops. What's the point of having sysops that's not active? The user Alers isn't even active on Wikipedia, he has stopped using his account and is instead editing anonymiously.
Conclusion and comments
I think we(I...) have done quite a bit in a couple of days. I'll try to contact the other sysops on Wikipedia once again.
Please put your comments below. --Adestro 16:01, 18 Dec 2005 (EST)
I just got the "Destination of the month"-feature up and running. --Adestro 17:08, 18 Dec 2005 (EST)
Good start and it's great to see someone working actively! A few comments and thoughts:
- We don't list all restaurants, hotels etc because not all are good. We'd like to have detailed listings of good places to see, eat, sleep etc though.
- Yes, inactive sysops can and should be removed — ask Evan to do this.
- I would suggest removing the travel news for now, even en: has problems keeping it up to date despite its much larger user base.
Just my 2 öre (join the euro already!).
The next big but necessary step would be automated uploading of templates for countries and perhaps regions of Sweden. I have some code that you can use for this, but it's quite an ugly mess and will require some knowledge of Python. Jpatokal 21:45, 18 Dec 2005 (EST)
- Thanks for the answers, makes sense. The travel news sections isn't up yet, but I would like to see it in the future.
- Automated uplodad of templates with Python? I've put the country template on all countries by hand. Might be usefull for regions though.
- You did that by hand!? <boggle> That's impressive — but you're missing even the links to the country flags and maps, which will now have to be added in by hand. Jpatokal 05:55, 19 Dec 2005 (EST)
- After I posted this log I lost all interest in updating the sv:. :( If someone doesn't join me, I will stick to en:. And since most Swedes below the age of ~50 can speak English somewhat fluent, I don't think sv: is necessary. I will do some updates on sv: but will probably work more on en: until someone shows up. /Adestro 04:28, 19 Dec 2005 (EST)
- By the way, in the discussion for Stockholm, I saw you said that Stockholm was boring. When was you there? Compared to larger cities it's probably boring though. :p
- Wha? You're done already? But you've done such a great job! Please, don't give up now. Things don't get moving in one day. People like seeing an active site -- if you keep working, more people will get involved. As far as I can tell, there's a lot of activity on sv:! --Evan 20:04, 2 Jan 2006 (EST)