Administrators are Wikitravellers who have been nominated by the Wikitravel community and have been granted some additional privileges over and above normal. Administrators have shown a good appreciation of the Wikitravel policies and guidelines and made significant contributions on Wikitravel articles.
The main features available only to administrators are:
- Rolling back unwanted edits. Administrators may use the rollback tool to quickly undo all changes to an article made by the most recent editor. Currently, it is not possible to leave an explanation of a revert in the edit summary, so this tool is usually reserved only for obvious cases of graffiti, vandalism, or spam.
- Deleting a page. Only administrators can permanently delete an article or file; see the Deletion policy for details.
- Restoring deleted pages. Administrators can restore a page which has been deleted.
- Deleting an image.
- Protecting/unprotecting a page. An administrator can mark certain pages as protected; these pages can only be edited by other administrators. See the Protected page policy for details.
- Blocking and unblocking IP addresses and users. If an IP address or a user account has been used for vandalism, and the perpetrator does not comply with given warnings, an administrator can block (and unblock) the user. This is a very very seldom used feature on Wikitravel.
The decision to give these privileges to certain users is pragmatic. Most vandalism and other changes that don't conform to policy can be reverted or changed by any serious Wikitravellers. Protection and deletion cannot; therefore, these privileges are only granted to certain users.
Note that plenty of longtime Wikitravellers may not want the responsibility of being an administrator. Administrators are the plumbers and janitors of Wikitravel, and are asked to help perform some mundane tasks.
It's also important to remember that any user can edit, change, redirect, move, or otherwise muck with almost any article on Wikitravel. It's not really necessary to wait for an administrator to do some "administrative" work; in fact, it's best to just plunge forward and do the job yourself.
Becoming an administratorEdit
If you think a Wikitraveller – including yourself! – should become a Wikitravel administrator, post their name on the administrator nominations page with a brief description of why the Wikitraveller should have administrator privileges. Include some evidence of understanding and experience with community policies.
If after 14 days of discussion:
- The nomination has been given the support of the community, including at least two other administrators,
- The user has indicated a willingness to take on the role and
- There are no outstanding objections.
a bureaucrat will grant them admin status.
There are no carved-in-stone requirements, but the following are generally considered advantageous:
- A track record of at least a few months
- A firm understanding of Wikitravel policies and conventions
- Active participation in policy discussions and settling disputes
- Doing janitorial work like cleaning up vandalism and spam
- A demonstrated ability to work well within the community
- Being nominated by another administrator
Administrators are not expected to spend all their waking hours working on Wikitravel; if anything, taking long vacations to travel around is encouraged!
Administrator status is not a reward; the admin role simply indicates that the Wikitravel community feels that a user has a good understanding of Wikitravel's policies.
Ending administrator privilegesEdit
Unused high-privilege user accounts are a security risk. For this reason, administrators who are inactive and do not contribute to the Wikitravel community will have admin privileges revoked. Administrators who know they don't have the time or interest to continue as admins should request to have their privileges revoked voluntarily.
Administrators who abuse their privileges can have those privileges revoked via nomination.
After losing admin privileges for any reason, a Wikitraveller must go through the nomination process again to regain those privileges.
You can see a list of current admins here.