Wikitravel is built with the spirit of sharing knowledge that makes travel so enjoyable. Whenever travellers meet each other on the road, they swap info about the places they came from and ask questions about places they're going. We want to make it easy to share that knowledge and let others share it; our copyleft license means that the facts you know can spread far and wide.
The project was begun in July 2003, inspired by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and by the needs of travellers for timely information that long book-publishing cycles can't seem to meet.
To create Wikitravel we use a tool called MediaWiki to run a Wiki process which lets any Internet reader create, update, edit, and illustrate any article on the Web site. We all share our pieces of knowledge, edit them, distill them, and assemble them into a pleasing and cohesive whole. The more people that use the Edit link, the better Wikitravel becomes.
The Wikitravel universe also includes Wikitravel Shared — Wikitravel's image repository and cross-language coordination site (bugs, feature requests, language versions, etc).
- Goals and non-goals – What the Wikitravel community is trying to do (and not trying to do)
- Wikitravel:Help – the entry point to our documentation.
- Wikitravel:Namespace index – An index of all the pages in the Wikitravel: namespace
- Wikitravel:Logbook – Recent events and milestones
- Technical details – For the geeks in the audience, a description of the software behind Wikitravel
- List of related projects