Watson Lake is a town in southeastern Yukon, close to the British Columbia border, with a population of 1,567 (Yukon Bureau of Statistics, June 2007).
Alaska highway (historical mile 635) from Fort Nelson or Whitehorse. The Watson Lake Airport provides corporate and charter services only.
Local taxi services are available.
- Signpost Forest, At the intersection of the Alaska and Robert Campbell Highways. In 1942, a homesick U.S. Army G.I. working on the Alaska Highway posted a sign with the name and distance of his home town. The tradition has continued to this day and now the signpost forest contains over 72,000 signs.
- Northern Lights Centre, On the Alaska Highway in Watson Lake, ☎ (867) 536-7827 ([email protected]), . If you can't see them outside, see them inside. This centre features a northern lights multimedia presentation in a 100-seat theatre. It also features other interactive displays discussing the science and folklore behind the northern lights. Open during the summer season only. In the winter, the centre is used for community events, movies, and space science education.
- Wolf It Down Restaurant, Mile 650, Alaska Highway (23km west of Watson Lake), ☎ (867) 536-2307, . Bakery and home-style meals, at Nugget City.
- Bee Jays, ☎ 867-536-2550. Truck stop, tire repair, mechanic and restaurant
- Bee Jays, ☎ 867-536-2550. Truck stop, tire shop, mechanic and restaurant
- Andrea's (old Belvedere), ☎ 867-536-7712. Hotel, Bar and restaurant
- Kathy's Kitchen, ☎ 867-536-2400. Restaurant
- Tags, ☎ 867-536-7422. Restaurant
- Cozy Nest Hideaway, 1175 Campbell Hwy., ☎ (867) 536-2204, . A beautiful and friendly bed and breakfast on the lake. Open year round. $70 single, $80 couple.
- Belvedere Motor Hotel, ☎ (867) 536-7712, .
- Watson Lake Hotel, ☎ (867) 536-7712, .
- Gateway Motor Inn, ☎ (867) 536-7712, .
- Air Force Lodge, 136 Adela Trail, Watson Lake, ☎ (867) 536-2890 ([email protected]), . $69 single, $79 double.
- Nugget City, Mile 650, Alaska Highway (23km west of Watson Lake), ☎ (867) 536-2307, . RV park, cottages, and tenting area. Restaurant, gift shop, and vehicle service centre on-site.
- Stampeder's, ☎ 867-536-2157. 2 beatiful fully loaded cabins,wireless internet,satellite T.V.,open year round.
- A Nice Motel, ☎ 867-536-7222. 10 rooms/1queen bed, kitchennettes, wired internet,satellite T.V. fireplace.
- Big Horn Hotel, ☎ 867-536-2020. Jacuzzi room,kitchenettes,single/double rooms, satellite T.V.,wireless internet. Open year round.
- Cedar Lodge Motel, ☎ 867-536-7406. 12 rooms,4 suites and 5 kitchenettes, open year round, satellite T.V.
Finding a pay phone should not be a problem in Watson Lake. If all else fails, there is one just inside Super A Foods, along the Alaska Highway.
You've probably encountered Watson Lake while traveling along the Alaska Highway. Heading north 264km towards Whitehorse, you will find Teslin with beautiful scenery and a good photo opportunity as you approach the Teslin River Bridge (second longest bridge along the Alaska Highway). Heading south 210km towards Fort Nelson, stop for a relaxing sit in the natural Liard River Hot Springs (open year round).