Warrnambool has an airport located approximately 15km north of the CBD. There are no scheduled commercial flights.
V/Line operates three daily train services from Melbourne to Warrnambool. The journey (of just over 3 hours) operates via Geelong, and trains have a buffet car on board serving snacks. Generally, you have to ring V/Line to make a reservation, or go to a station and do so, especially if you are travelling from Southern Cross Station in Melbourne, however, there are conductors on board who sell tickets. Tickets are $72 return from Melbourne
From Melbourne, Warrnambool can be reached on the Princes Highway and it takes approximately 3.5 hours. Alternatively, you can take the Great Ocean Road. This takes approximately 6.5 hours (without stopping), but is well worth it for the spectacular views.
Warrnambool is reasonably easy to navigate by car. Metered parking in the city costs 70c per hour.
Transit South West operates 10 bus routes within the city of Warrnambool. Most routes run hourly, and the city terminus is a short walk from the railway station. Tickets are $2.00 for 2 hours, and $3.40 for a full day (half price concession/children's tickets).
- Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum, . 9AM - 5PM. A substantial museum, with a replica community and many exhibits. A nighttime show "Shipwrecked" tells the story of the wreck at Loch Ard gorge, projected onto a water fountain in the lake
- Lake Pertobe and Foreshore area,
- Southern Right Whales at Logans Beach. There is a viewing platform, and whales can often be easily seen without binoculars.
- Tower Hill
- Botanical gardens
- Hotel Warrnambool, Cnr Koroit & Kepler Streets, ☎ 03 5562 2377, . Beautiful former coffee palace serves great beer in a relaxed atmosphere.
There is lots of accommodation, including motels and rental houses.
- Elm Tree Lodge Motel, 179 Kepler Street, ☎ +61 3 5562 4133., . Airconditioning, electric blankets *
- Comfort Inn Warrnambool, Corner Timor and Kepler Street, .
- The Sebel Deep Blue Warrnambool, 16 Pertobe Road, ☎ +61 3 5559 2000, . The Sebel Deep Blue Warrnambool offers luxurious Warrnambool hotel accommodation along the Great Ocean Road, the indulgent Bath House & Day Spa and superb Warrnambool dining at The Water Table restaurant.
- Discovery Holiday parks - Warrnambool, 25 Pertobe Road, Warrnambool, 3280, ☎ 1800 808 130, . Adjacent to the beach, Discovery Holiday Parks – Warrnambool is a family favourite with facilities including on-site playground and swimming pool with spa. Camp sites start from $35/night and Cabins from $109 (-38.395088,142.474796)