The Heath Museum in Walsrode
Walsrode  is a town on the Lüneburg Heath in North Germany.
Walsrode was first mentioned in 986, this was the same year that Count Walo founded a monastery in the area. By 1383 Walsrode had been given city rights by the Dukes of Brunswick and Lüneburg. The Sculpter Hans Brüggemann was born in Walsrode at the end of the 15th Century, he was most famous for the Bordesholmer altar which is placed in the cathedral.
The city was largely destroyed in 1626 by Tillysche troops in the Thirty Year War. Initially the war was based around a Religious conflict between Protestants and Catholics, Walsrode was largely a Protestant town and due to this was destroyed by Johann t’Serclaes von Tilly. Things did not get any better for Walsrode by 1757 due the majority of houses being destroyed by the ‘great fire’.
Walsrode was first connected to the railway network in 1890. It was joined onto the railway line that went to Bremervörde, eventually it was then connected to the line between Hannover and Schwarmstedt.
The local poet Hermann Löns used his beloved heath around Walsrode for his novels and poems celebrating the people and landscape. You can still feel the magic of this vast landscape, with its splashes of colour from purple flowering heather, dark green junipers and bright yellow gorse bushes, surrounded by colourful forests, fertile fields and rolling river valleys is a masterpiece of Mother Nature. Hermann Löns was buried in 1935 in Tietlingen grove.
In 1957 Walsrode becomes the site of the Federal Border Police where they also have a training and education centre.
Is north of Walsrode and is about 125km away(roughly one hour and twenty minutes). It has a large variety shops and restaurants for you to enjoy whilst you wait for your flight. To get to Hamburg via car take the A7 towards Hamburg then merge onto the A7 again at junction 37. Take exit 23 and follow the B432 towards Norderstedt/Langenhorn, continue along the road following the signs for 'Flughafen'. The address is below:
Hamburg Flughafen, Flughafenstrasse 1-3, 22335 Hamburg
Is South of Walsrode and is about 56Km away (roughly 35 minutes). This airport is smaller than Hamburg but still has a number of shops and places to eat before you go elsewhere. Take the A7 towards Hannover and turn at junction 53 onto the A352 towards Dortmund, take exit 3 for Hannover airport.
The address is below:
Hanover Flughafen, Flughafenstraße 4, 30855 Langenhagen
Is North West of Walsrode and is about 65Km away (roughly 45 minutes). This is a smaller airport than the other two but still flies to 40 different destinations.
Take the A27 towards Bremen. Take exit 22 towards Bremen Kruez to merge onto the A1, then take exit 56 to Bremen Arsten on the B6, keep right at the fork. Continue the signs for the airport. The address is below:
Bremen Flughafen, Flughafenallee 20, 28199 Bremen
From Hanover: A7 towards Hamburg. At "Walsrode Dreieck" turn off onto the A27 towards Bremen and continue to junction/exit Walsrode-West. Follow the B209 to Walsrode for 2km.
From Bremen: Approaching the "Bremer Kreuz" via the A1 turn off onto the A27 towards Walsrode - Hanover and continue to junction Walsrode-West.
From Hamburg: A7 towards Hanover up to junction Fallingbostel. Follow the B209 to Walsrode for 7km.
There is one train station in Walsrode and it is just a short walk from the centre itself. This provides a Regional service and is on the Heath Railway. This section of railway goes from Hannover to Soltau but can also come from Hamburg with a few changes along the way, however this can take up to 3 hours. Trains run roughly from 04.30 to 2100.
There is a local bus from Hannover that can take you into Walsrode. It is on the R41 line and departs all throughout the week with a number of different timing options, it will take roughly an hour. You can also get a bus from Hamburg on the same line, however it could take up to two and a half hours. For more information look at: Buses
Walsrode Station provides Regionalbahn trains which offers a basic service. It provides a connection between Hanover and Soltau. It is part of the Heath railway which connects Hannover to Buchholz in der Nordheide. This train station also lies on the America line which connects fro Bremen to Uelzen.
There are a number of different bike routes that you can take in and around Walsrode, some specifically for bike racing and some for mountain biking. There is also a historical tour that you can take where you can learn more about Hans Löns which is 5km long.
There are a number of taxi firms within Walsrode willing to take you to your destination. There are a number of taxi’s always outside the train station that you can jump in. Alternatively look at this site for numbers of local firms: 
- Walsrode Convent, Kirchplatz 2, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 4858380, . April-October Every afternoon. This an amazing opportunity to learn more about the way in which the nuns live their lives and also about the history of the convent which was first mentioned in 986.
- Heide Museum, Herrmann-Löns-Straße 2, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 077175, . Mon - Tues Closed, Wed-Sat1000-1230 1300-1700, Sun & Public holidays 1300-1700. The Heide museum is one of the oldest open air museums in Germany, it first opened as a museum in 1912. The museum consists of a farm, with out buildings and field offices with the majority of it being built in 1798. Adult €2.50 Child €1.
- St Johns the Baptist Church, Am Kloster 1 , 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05051 71352, . 1000-1700. This church is a large and spacious place of worship and was built between 1848-50, it is also connected to the convent in Walsrode. Adult.
- Serengeti Park, Am Safaripark 1, 29693 Hodenhagen, ☎ 05164 97990, . Mon-Sun 0900-1800. Is a little piece of Africa in Germany. Serengeti allows you to drive your vehicle through the park and see the wild animals up close. After seeing the animals there is an amusement park which will keep you entertained for the rest of the day. The park situated in the neighbouring town of Hodenhagen a few Km's away from Walsrode.
- Wild park, Am Wildpark, 21271 Nindorf-Hanstedt (It is exit Garlstorf on the A7, then in the direction of Nindorf, signposted), ☎ 04184 89390, . Summer 0800-1900 Winter 0900-1630. Is surrounded in 60 acres of land with over 120 different types of animals. There is a large free car park available. Adult €9 Child (3-14) €7.
- Vogel Park, Vogelpark Walsrode, Ahrsener Straße, 29699 Bomlitz (Leave the A27 at Walsrode West and follow the signs), ☎ 05161 60440, . Mon-Sun 0900-1900. The worlds only nature park with over 4000 different types of Birds of 650 different types. The park is filled with a flora that captures all the colours of the rainbow. The months of April and May are particularly exciting when the 46 different types of Rhododendron are in full bloom. There are however lots of different trees, bushes and plants in bloom all season through. There is a wonderful live flying show incorporating Eagles, Parrots, Secretary Birds, Cranes, Storks and other wonderful birds. One can see the chicks being fed, the feeding of the penguins and Pelicans and the Storks that are allowed to fly free above and beyond the enclosures, in great flocks that fill the sky above the park. There is also a guide service by the rangers who can be booked to show you all the Welt Vogelpark has to offer. There are lots of indoor attractions including a tropical forest enclosure and an excellent children’s play area. It is open from April to October from 09:00 to 19:00. The Rosen Cafe has some wonderful meals from breakfast through to dinner at competitive prices. There is a gift shop at the entrance/exit. This is a wonderful attraction and well worth a visit. Adult €16 Child (4-17) €11.
- Hiking Walsrode has more than 700km hiking trails running through and around it.
- Colesseum Bowling, Rudolf Diesel Str 6, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 4813010, . Mon-Closed, Tues-Fri -1600 til late, Sat-1200 til late, Sun 1000 til late. Enjoy moonlight bowling Friday and Saturday nights with the added bonus of good music. Tues-Thurs €18 per hour per lane, Fri-Sun €21 per hour per lane.
- Fitness Pool Walsrode, Hermann-Löns-Straße 23, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 4889980, . Mon-1000-1600 Tues-Fri0700-2100 Sat-Sun 1100-1700. This is a 25m pool with a temperature of 27°. There are a number of different lessons and classes that are available. Adult €3, Child(4-17) €1.50.
- Strandbad Dorfmark, ,Am Holzfeld 5 29683 Dorfmark, ☎ 05163 902285, . Mon-Fri 1400-1800 Sat-Sun 1200-1900. This is a natural swimming pool out in the open, that water is regularly checked by the local town to make sure it is safe to swim in.
- Riding School For Fun, Görlitzer Str 17, 29683 Dorfmark, ☎ 05163 290414 ([email protected]), . Why not enjoy a spot of horse riding where you can realise how fun it can be. You can enjoy riding lessons, mini club, weekend camps away or why not have a birthday party here. Adult Lesson €20, Child Lesson €12.
- Hurricane Festival, Eichenring, Scheeßel, . 22-24 June 2012. This is a three day music event where you can enjoy music of all genres. €114 &€10 Waste disposal.
- Ginseng Farm Festivals, Bockhorn 1, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05162 1393, . Ascension day (3 Oct) and 3rd weekend in advent. The farm is transformed into a small artistic village where you can try the culinary delights on offer and see some of the crafts that are produced.
- Schützenfest, Market place, 29664 Walsrode, . Different days throughout July. This takes place in July and is a festival with plenty of drink and Bratwurst stands to enjoy
There are a wide variety of shops within the town centre which include clothes, pets, electronics and homeware. There is a one way circuit within Walsrode and you will find the majority of shops along these roads. The shops are open Mon-Fri until 1800, Sat roughly till 1400 and are closed on Sundays. There is a small department store in the centre of Walsrode called City kaufhaus, you will find everything here from computer games, books and clothes.
- Walsrode Farmers' Market is every Friday morning and sells fresh fruit, vegetables and flowers.
- Heide Wax, Ebbinger Str. 1a, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 910660, . January-March 1000-1700, April-December 0900-1800 Monday-Friday. Is a small shop where you can see how they produce the candles. There is also an extensive range candles that you can buy. Varies.
Walsrode is within the Luneburg Heide region where the Heideschnucke (moorland sheep) is bred on the moors where they feast on heather and birch tree shoots. It is often found on many of the restaurant menus and has a gamey flavour to it, it is often compared to venison.
- Calabria* is an Italian Pizzaria with a small amount of seating in the "Grosse Graben". It not only serves Pizza, but a vast array of Pasta dishes. It is also renowned for its cappucino. The traditional Bruscetta is a dream and this followed by a Calzone is a fantastic traditional Italian meal. The prices are good too.
- Mendoza, Lange Straße 79, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 486061, . Mon-Sat 1700-0000 Sun 1130-1430 1700-0000. Is an Argentinean steakhouse with various types of meat cooked to how you like, sizzling on a hot stone. Mains between €12 - €28.
- Marco Polo, Moorstraße 54, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 5460. Is an Italian restaurant in the centre of Walsrode serving a number of Italian and international dishes. Mains between €7-€15.
- Athos, Wiener Platz 8, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 486493, . 1200-1430 & 1730-2330. Is a traditional Greek restaurant with an indoor and outdoor eating area. Mains between €6-€15.
- La Brasserie, Lange Straße 20, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 486787. Is a café bistro in the centre of Walsrode with outside seating. You can enjoy a simple baguette or a sweet or savoury crepe. Mains between €4-€10.
- Da Piero, Moorstraße 85, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 4812533. Is a small Italian and Pizza restaurant with a cosy atmosphere. Mains between €6-€15.
- Zauberkessel, Bergstraße 12, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 609757, . Wed, Fri & Sat open from 1700. Is a medieval restaurant that serves a number of vegan dishes where you can eat your meal off clay plates to get an authentic experience. All money goes towards the animal sanctuary.
- Anders, Gottlieb Daimler Straße 6, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 607777, . Mon-Sat 0830-0000. This is different from any other kind of restaurant in the area, why not experience cuisine with a difference. You can sit and enjoy yourself with your own beer pump at your table. Differs depending on the different buffets.
- Forellenhof, "3, ☎ 05161 9700, . Daily 1800-2200. A stylish restaurant where you can enjoy fresh locally produced cuisine. There is also a large terrace next to the pond where you can enjoy coffee and cake and enjoy the surroundings. There is also a beer garden where you can enjoy the beer that is brewed on the premises, "Schnuckenbräu" beer. Mains between €12-€46.
- Irish Pub, Lange Strasse 51 - 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 4874650, . Mon-Sat open from 1600. Sun open from 1400. Serves a wide variety of beer, whiskey and ciders with the added bonus of live music. It is situated in the town centre.
- Alexander’s, Lange Straße 70, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 911493. Is a small Bar in the centre of Walsrode that stocks a variety drinks. There is an outside area to enjoy the cocktails on a hot summers day.
- Studio 78, Wernher v. Braun Str. 3, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 910722, . Fri-Sat 2200 til late. Is a club with 4 different areas where you can dance away to different types of music. They have many different types of music on each weekend. Prices vary from free to €10 depending on whether it is a special night.
- Anders, Gottlieb Daimler Straße 6, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 607777, . Mon-Sat 0830-0000. This is different from any other kind of restaurant in the area, why not experience cuisine with a difference. You can sit and enjoy yourself with your own beer pump at your table.
- Hotel Forellenhof, 3 Hünzingen, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05161 9700, . checkin: 1400-2300; checkout: 0700-1100. Is a family run hotel with lots of tradition running through it. It is set in the countryside on the outskirts of Walsrode where you can rent bicycles and explore the surrounding area. €90.
- Hotel Sanssouci, Tietlingen 4, 29664 Walsrode, ☎ 05162 901040, . checkin: 1500-2100; checkout: 0800-1100. The hotel Sanssouci is a renovated farmhouse close to Walsrode centre. There is an onsite restaurant that serves local cuisine or if you want a snack why not try one of their homemade cakes which can be enjoyed on the summer terrace. There is an 18 hole golf course that is a short walk from the hotel. €49-€119.
- Ringhotel Parkhotel Luisenhöhe, Am Vogelpark 2, 29699 Walsrode/Bomlitz, ☎ 05161 98620, . checkin: 1400-2200; checkout: 0700-1100. The hotel has a Mediterranean feel with all the rooms being well equipped. The restaurant serves a mixture of international and German cuisine. You could always relax in the hotels spa area in the sauna, Jacuzzi or book yourself an Ayurveda massage. €77-€100.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!