Wakefield is a village of the town of South Kingstown, located in the state of Rhode Island. Settlers came to Wakefield early in the 18th century due to it’s proximity to the Saugatucket River. In the middle of the 19th century, Kenyon’s Department Store was founded, and Wakefield soon became the business center of South Kingstown. As time progressed, the mills throughout the village became bigger and allowed for population growth. By 1895, there were 1,543 people living in the village. The first hospital was created in 1919 inside a house, and by 1925, the South County Hospital building was erected. It is still in the same location today. The village of Wakefield is rich in history, and it’s proximity to beaches and other attractions bring in thousands of tourists each summer.
- T.F. Green Airport, 2000 Post Rd, Warwick, +1 888-268-7222, . Parking as low as $11 a day or $56 a week (Lot E). T.F. Green Airport is easy to get to off RI Interstate 95 North and South at Exit 13. It is also accessible via Rt.295, connecting to 95.
- From Boston/All points north
I-95 S to Exit 9 in RI. Stay left to take RI-4 S (Exit 9) toward North Kingstown. Merge onto Tower Hill Road/ Rt. 1 by taking a slight right. After 7 miles, take the Wakefield ramp off the right.
- From New York/ Connecticut
I-95 N to Exit 92. Take a right onto Liberty St/ Rt. 2. Merge onto CT-78 E toward Westerly. After 5 miles, take a left at the light to go onto Rt. 1 N. Take the Wakefield exit off the right.
Due to the small size of Wakefield, you can get anywhere by talking a walk through town. If you have a car, it only takes 5 minutes to get from one side to the other. If you prefer public transportation, there are busses that run from Wakefield to other locations all over the state. There is also a single cab company in town.d.
- Wakefield Cab Company, 73 Emmett Lane, 401-783-0007. Small, locally owned cab company located on the edge of town. They’ll pick you up where you may be, whenever you need a ride.
- RIPTA (Rhode Island Public Transit Authority), 401-781-9400, . The RIPTA has many pick-up and drop-off locations scattered throughout Wakefield, and the busses travel all over the state. The 66 bus, which is the one that services Wakefield, runs from 6:00am to 10:05pm on weekdays, and until 10:25pm on weekends. It starts at Kennedy Plaza in Providence and ends at the Block Island Ferry (Galilee). $1.50 per ride, $5 for a day pass.
Wakefield is centrally located to all of Rhode Island's beaches, ranging from Misquamicut beach on the western edge of the state to Second Beach in Newport. South Kingstown, the township of which Wakefield is a village, is home to three of the most beautiful beaches in the state, East Matunuck state beach, South Kingstown town beach in Matunuck, and the Moonstone Beach National Wildlife Refuge, the longest stretch of undeveloped beach in the state. There are numerous tourist destinations within an hour's drive, including the mansions of Newport, Rhode Island's Renaissance city Providence, the aquarium and seaport at Mystic (Connecticut), the world's largest casino Ledyard (Connecticut), and the ferry connecting to the breathtaking beauty of Block Island Block Island.
- Hannah Robinson Tower / Rock, Intersection of Rt. 1 and Bridgetown Rd.. This 100’ tower was constructed in honor of Hannah Robinson, daughter of wealthy townsperson Rowland Robinson. The tower was constructed in 1938, and was rebuilt in 1988. It overlooks Narragansett Bay and the Atlantic Ocean (on a clear day).
- Entertainment Cinema, 30 Village Square Drive, +1 401-792-8008. Entertainment Cinema is located off Rt. 1 in the South Country Commons. It offers Wall-to-Wall Screens,Digital Sound, and Stadium Seating. Admission for adults $8.25, children $6, and seniors $6. On Tuesday’s nights, all seats are $6. They feature Handicap Access, 4-Stand Concession, and Theatre Rentals. Located in walking distance to Applebee’s and other shops and restaurants.
- Old Mountain Lanes, 756 Kingstown Road, +1 401-783-5511. Old Mountain Lanes is a great place to bowl with auto scoring, cosmic bowling, billiards, and two large restaurants, one with a sports bar. On Friday and Saturday night, Old Mountain Lanes has “Rockin-Bowl” between 9PM-1AM, where they play loud music and flashing lights, which is popular with the youth/teenage group. Open from 9AM-1AM Monday through Sunday.
- Old Mountain Field, Rt. 108, +1 401-789-9301. Over 60 acres with skating park, softball field, baseball field, basketball court, nature trails, tennis courts, picnic area, and swings. Every Fourth of July, Old Mountain Field becomes a popular destination for fireworks. With attendance of hundreds of people, the fireworks at Old Mountain Field have become notorious within the area, attracting families and groups of friends of all ages. Admission is free and usually starts around 10PM. There is parking available at South Kingstown High School, which is located a street away on Columbia Street, or if arriving early enough, there is free parking along Rt. 108. During the summer, Old Mountain Field Camp occupies many of the recreational activities, so it can be busy during the day between May-September. Also, softball and baseball leagues occasionally occupy the fields. During Easter, Old Mountain field has an Easter Egg hunt for children 8 to 10 years of age.
- South County Bike Trail. Beginning at the Kingston Train Station, the South County Bike Trail extends 8 miles, passing through Peace Dale and Wakefield, ending into Narragansett. The trail offers scenic views, as it passes through the Great Swamp, which has a variety of wildlife. It is in excellent condition and is very spacious, allowing room for many. During spring, summer, and fall months, the trail is occupied by runners, bicyclists, walkers, and rollerblading. The trail is a fun spot to exercise, with beautiful surroundings. Parking is available at the Kingston Train Station (on Rt. 138), where the trail begins. Enjoy the beautiful scenery while you run, jog, walk, bike, skateboard, and rollerblade along the smoothly paved bike path.
- The Neighborhood Guild, 325 Columbia Street, +1 401-789-9301. With over 1,000 programs, the Neighborhood Guild provides activities for all ages. They manage the town parks, the South County bike path, Old Mountain Field, and the Town Beach. The Neighborhood Guild offer classes for children, teens, and adults, ranging from subjects of art, financial planning, heath and fitness, nature, sports, dance, music, and general interest. In the summer there are camps for children and teenagers, specially designed for specific interests, or general activity. At the Neighborhood guild there are tennis courts, a playground, and a picnic area. During the winter months, the tennis courts are converted into a skating rink, where many town residents come to enjoy the winter sport.
- Saugatucket River. Kayak or Canoe on the Saugatucket River. Kayak or Canoe rentals are available at Narrow River Kayaks, 26 Lacey Ln. 401-789-0034
- Adventure Rhode Island Fishing Charters, 1175 Succotash Rd., ☎ 401-359-1785, . Enjoy charter fishing with this family owned charter. Set sail right out of Jerusalem.
- BasketCase, 212 Main St, (+1 401-284-1551. M-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su 12-5PM. This friendly and quaint shop has jewelry and accessories, bath and body products, cards, dishware, home décor, gourmet foods, music, linens and aprons, and specializes in customizing gift baskets
- Little Bits, 50 South County Commons Way, Unit E1, +1 401-284-3933, .
- Main Street has a variety of shops of all kinds including jewelry, shoes and clothes. There are also a number of antique shops.
- OOP, South County Commons, South Kingstown RI, "+1" (800) 281-4147. www.oopstuff.com provides limited edition comtemporary americancraft, jewelery, furniture, toys and fun stuff.
- Sweenors Chocolates, 21 Charles St., Phone: +1 401-783-4433, . Their novelty chocolates have been making visitors and natives mouth’s melting for more than 50 years. Their wide variety and assortments are worth a visit.
- The Purple Cow, Main Street. 9AM-7PM. Small, eclectic store that has a wide variety of gifts, from clothing to jewelry to furniture.
- The Glass Station, 318 Main St., ☎ 401-788-2500. Glass creations made right before your eyes! These glass blowers create some amazing pieces of art, and there’s a gallery connected to the workshop where you can buy them.
- The Wakefield Mall. The Wakefield Mall includes stores such as Walden Books, Staples, Panera Bread, Shaw’s Supermarkets, Olympia Sports, and Fashion Bug.
- Snug Harbor Marina, 410 Gooseberry Rd, Wakefield, RI 02879, ☎ 401-783-7766, . Seasonal, Summer Hours: 5:00 am to 8:00 pm daily, for fall hours please call. Snug Harbor Marina is a full service marina that carries saltwater fishing bait and tackle, including products from Penn International, St. Croix, Old Harbor Outfitters, Grundens and Gibb's Lures. The tackle shop also offers charter boat fishing booking and daily fishing reports. During the summer hours, the marina offeres a full service fuel dock featuring Valvetec Marine Fuels. Aside from fishing needs, the marina also has a fish market that features daily caught fish and lobsters. Gift cards are available.
- The Watershed Surf/Skate/Snow Shop, 396 Main Street, +1 401-789-3399. Has a large selection of the hottest surfboard on the market today, including the Hobie Peter Pan Slug Model! They also carry tons of skateboards, snowboards, and tons of other great products! The Watershed Surf Zone not only has great information on products, and has a lot of other useful info such as Eastern Surfing Association news and Professional Longboard Association news.
- Looney Tunes II, 562 Kingston Rd, ☎ 401-782-9860, . M-Sa 10AM-6PM, Su 10AM-5PM. A quaint yet novel record store in the middle of all the hustle of Wakefield, Looney Tunes provides reliable and friendly service that knows just what to do for their customer's musical appetite. Be it the latest best-selling CD, or your favorite LP, Looney Tunes is bound to have it for you. If the product you are looking for isn't in stock, you can always have them pre-order it for you online as well. The employees have a very deep appreciation of music of all kinds; you can approach any of them for their opinions on what is commendable, and they are enthusiastic about what they know.
- Belmont Market, 600 Kingston Rd, ☎ 401-783-4656, . Mon-Sat 7am-10pm, Sun 7am-8pm. One of Wakefield's most well known, and most popular grocers, Belmont Market is a supermarket located within the very center of Wakefield's busy traffic. Originating as a produce exclusive market, the Siravo family quickly gathered a gratuitous amount of business and eventually expanded into an official supermarket, allowing for others to sample from some of the finest local produce that made Belmont Market so famous to begin with. Continuing to flourish, Belmont's attracts a large balanced crowd of both the travelling and the regular customers. The food's quality is what has made it well known and, in most cases, favored over the many other chains such as Stop n Shop and Shaws.
- Wakefield Music, 58 Main Street, ☎ 401-783-5390, . Mon-Fri, 10:00am-5:30pm, Sat 9:30am-5:00pm, Closed Sun. One of the finest local stores around, Wakefield music provides all musical instruments of a great variety to the customer, and for a fair price (as far as instruments go, their prices are rather exceptional). Ranging from harmonicas to guitars, pianos and drum kits; saxophones, and bass guitars, Wakefield Music will have what you plan on picking up. However, their staff also will repair certain instruments upon request, so this serves as quite the helpful service. In addition to carrying spare reeds, guitar strings, and sheet music booklets, Wakefield Music is the place to get your instrument tuned up and ready to play.
- Applebees, 15 Common Way South Kingstown, +1 401-782-4578. A family style restaurant located next to the movie theater. Applebees offers half-off appetizers from Sunday-Thursday nights starting at 9PM. Get mozzarella sticks, nachos, or mini-cheeseburgers for half-price! If there is not enough time to stop and sit down, they also offer Carside-To-Go in which they will bring the food outside to the customer's car.
- Chen's, 60 Tower Hill Road, +1 401-793-8516. Classic Chinese restaurant, a Wakefield institution.
- El Fuego Mexican Grill, 344 Main St., Phone: 401-284-3353. Enjoy this authentic Mexican cuisine right in downtown Wakefield. Open 11am-8pm on Sunday and Monday, 11am-9pm Tuesday - Saturday. <$10.
- Lickety Splits Ice Cream and Sweet Shoppe 36 South County Commons Way, Unit C4, South Kingstown RI 02879, "+1" 401-789-4035. A great place for a tasty treat located near the movie theater. Has many ice cream flavors and toppings such as M&Ms, gummy bears, sprinkles, cookie crumbs, etc. Can either eat inside or sit on a bench outside in the store if they weather is nice.
- Phil's Restaurant 323 Main St., 401-783-4073. This little diner offers great breakfast and lunch, and just recently started serving dinner. You definitely get your moneys worth at Phil's. Known for the homefries. <$10.
- River's Edge Cafe, 406 Main Street, +1 401-789-5960. Popular with the locals, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Brickley’s Ice Cream, 322 Main St, +1 401-782-8864. Brickley’s is very popular with locals, and is very busy during the summer months. Located on Main St, many people enjoy their ice cream while walking downtown or sitting on a bench nearby. The family owned and operated ice cream shop has a second location in Narragansett at 921 Boston Neck Rd., which is where all of the ice cream is made.
- Crave Seafood Steak 213 Robinson St., 401-284-1850. Tuesday-Thursday 5pm-9pm, Friday and Saturday 5pm- 10pm and Sunday 9am-2pm. Crave offers creative cuisine that puts twists on original dishes. $20-$40.
- The Italian Village, 195 Main St., Phone: +1 401-783-3777, . 10AM-10PM. Classic Italian dining in the heart of Wakefield. Traditional Italian cuisine made in the old-country style. $15-$30.
- The Mews’ Tavern, 456 Main St., Phone: +1 401-783-9370. Open for lunch and dinner. Great local bar and restaurant. Features 69 micro brews on tap. Friendly atmosphere, great food. Brick oven pizza. $10-$20.
- Kabuki,:91 Old Tower Hill Rd Wakefield, RI 02879. Kabuki is a modern Japanese restaurant offering everything from classic sushi to Kabuki’s original rolls to Japanese interpretations of delicious American dishes. A unique dining experience with an upscale setting. Offers 15% off for URI students.
- Shogun II, Japanese Restaurant 59 S County Commons Plaza, South Kingstown +1 401--284-0444. A great Japanese place. They have fantastic sushi and habachi. Great for family eating or a date!! Quite upscale and appropriate dress is required.
- The Mew's Tavern 456 Main St. 401-783-9370. 69 draft beers on tap, including one specifically made by Magic Hat for the Mews. There are three different sections to the bar, including an bar upstairs known as the “Celtic Pub”. $5 drafts / $6 mixed drinks.
- Casey's Grill and Bar 191 Old Tower Hill Rd., 401-789-9714. Another bar in the center of Wakefield. Enjoy the fun atmosphere with reasonably priced drinks. Come watch the game with friends, or enjoy 10 cent wings on Tuesday nights. $4 drafts / $5 mixed drinks.
- Fat Belly's Pub 333 Main St., 401-284-4540. Family friendly pub with a large menu. There are many drink choices as well. And if you get hungry, the kitchen is open until 11pm! $4 drafts / $6 mixed drinks.
- Rhody Joe's 515 Kingstown Road (401) 783-0008. Friendly college atmosphere. Great food and great prices. 20 cent wings every monday. "Come Get Rammed"
- Eden Manor 154 Post Rd.,401-792-8234. Romantic Rhode Island bed and breakfast near beaches, Newport, Block Island, University of RI. Check  for rates and photos.
- Hampton Inn, South County Commons, +1 401-788-3500, . Offers the finest accommodations in the region. Enjoy the oversized indoor pool and whirlpool after a workout in the state-of-the-art fitness center. The area near the Hampton Inn South Kingstown-Newport Area Rhode Island hotel has numerous restaurants with water views of Narragansett Bay featuring fresh seafood that the area is famous for. Is in walking distance to shops and dining located on-site in the Commons. The hotel's location is ideal for both the business traveler and vacationing families.
- Silver Lake Cottage, 361 Woodruff Avenue, +1 401-782-3745, . Located right on Silver Lake, this waterfront Colonial offers guests a scenic and relaxing stay on the water. Once used as a summer home in the 1900’s, Silver Lake Cottage has the charm of the past. There are five bedrooms, all which have a private bath, AC, and the beautiful scenic views. A complimentary breakfast is included. The cottage is in Wakefield, within walking distance to shops and restaurants. Special events such as bridal showers, reunions, luncheons, teas, small dinner functions, business meetings, brunches and cocktail parties can be accommodated.
- Sugar Loaf Hill Bed & Breakfast, 607 Main St, +1 401-789-8715, . Located on 1-1/2 acres, Sugar Loft Hill B&B is in a charming historic area, right in downtown Wakefield. The back of the house was built in 1720 and was used as a farmhouse and then in the mid-1800's, the main house was added to the front. Sugar Loft Hill B&B has three rooms, all with private baths. Twin, queen, and king size beds are available. Breakfast is served at 8:15 AM. The Inn is located right in the center of Wakefield so it is in walking distance of all the shops and restaurants on and nearby Main St.
- Worden’s Pond Family Campground, 416A Worden Pond Road, +1 401-789-9113. Family owned and operated for the last 33 years, Worden’s Pond Campground offers great camping services. They have recreational activities such as fishing, playgrounds, horseshoe pits, basketball court, and sand volleyball courts. In terms of camping, they have electric hook-ups (20 & 30 amp), water hook-ups, rest rooms, showers, picnic tables, ice, firewood, and public telephones. While here, sail on the pond, or entertain the kids at the playground. Trailers are available for rent. During the summer, there is live entertainment such as karaoke and DJ. Stay for a night, or an entire season.
- 108 Salon and Day Spa, 532 Kingstown Road, +1 401-789-4108, . Opened in 2003, 108 Salon & Day Spa offers the highest quality of service where they strive to help make customers look and feel pampered and relaxed. Their first-class services include hair care, massage therapy, nail care, and spa treatments. Day spa packages are also available. Qualified, professional and friendly specialists will work with customers to customize the perfect services to get the perfect look and feel. 108 Salon and Day Spa require a twenty-four hour notice of cancellation and request that all customers arrive 15 minutes prior to the appointment.
- A Royal Tan, S County Commons, South Kingstown, +1 401-284-1991, . Need to get tan before you hit the beach? Stop by here for a full line of tanning services and accessories.
- Bi-Design Hair Salon, 382 Woodruff Ave, +1 401-783-8292. A salon that accommodates both men and women for their hair-styling needs. A bit pricey, but a great value for the money.
As mentioned before, most of the people that come to Wakefield end up vacationing on one of the many beaches close to the town. If that doesn't appeal to you, here are a couple of things that you might want to do.
- Mystic, Connecticut, a 45 minute drive from Wakefield offers great shops and restaurants by the water. Mystic Aquarium is on 55 Coogan Blvd, and is ideal for families with children who want to get away and enjoy a stroll or the shows that are available. Mystic is a great place to get ice cream or a drink and sit by the water and watch the boats and relax.
- Newport, RI - Newport is one of the most beautiful places in RI. There are many fine restaurants and bars that are in walking distance of each other. If that doesn’t sound like something you’d like to do, take a ride down Bellevue Ave. to see all of the historic mansions. First beach is also right next to the mansions if you want to catch some rays.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!