Volcano is a town in Amador County, California.
Volcano is a small town with a population of only 115 persons. Despite the name, it is not on or near a volcano. The name came from early miners who thought the bowl-shaped valley where the town is was a volcanic crater. In the 1850s, Volcano was a booming mine town but the years following brought a steady decline to its current population.
Volcano is located 3 miles north of California State Route 88 which connects with California 99 to the west and US 395 to the east.
- Black Chasm Cavern, 15701 Pioneer Volcano Road, ☎ +1 209 736-2708, . Sep-May - daily: 10AM-4PM, Jun-Aug - daily 9AM-5PM. The Cavern is a small three-level cave containing outstanding helictite crystal formations and is listed as National Natural Landmark. 13 and older: $14.95, 3-12: $7.95. (38.432347,-120.626072) edit
- Jug & Rose Baking Company, 16154 Main St., ☎ +1 209 296-7777. Specialties include oatmeal rum cookies and peach and blueberry custard pies. edit
- Volcano Gallery, 16105 Main St., ☎ +1 209 296-3334 ([email protected]). Art gallery featuring jewelry, photography, Native American art work, ceramics, sculptures, water and oil paintings. edit
- Country Store, 16146 Main Street, ☎ +1 209 296-4459. Hamburgers and sandwiches are served in this real life country store where you can also go shopping for basic staples. under $10. edit
- Union Pub, 21375 Consolation St., ☎ +1 209 296-7711 ([email protected], fax: +1 209 296-7727), . F: 3PM-9PM, Sa: Noon-9PM, Su: 10AM-8PM, Mo: 5PM-8PM. $10-23. edit
- Volcano Union Inn, 21375 Consolation St., ☎ +1 209 296-7711 ([email protected], fax: +1 209 296-7727), . Four rooms, each with its own decor, are available. No pets and children are not recommended. $89-139 (). (38.443071,-120.630771) edit