Viscri or Deutsch Weisskirch is a village in Brasov county. It is a UNESCO world heritage site.
The village is located in comuna Bunesti. It is reachable from the villages Bunesti(6km) or Dacia(8km). These are accessible from the road that links Sighisoara and Brasov. Viscri is very close to Rupea. On maps you will probably only find Bunesti.
From Sighisoara an appointment can be made for a bus by calling 072 1176299. The cost is 15 Euro/person, minimum 2 persons. You can also take a taxi from Sighisoara train station to Viscri. It takes about a half hour drive.
Hitchhiking from the main road should not be very difficult.
- The fortified church is considered to be oldest church in Transylvania, and also one of the best preserved. It has been built at the beginning of the 13th century. You can go up in the tower and have an amazing view of the surroundings, the village and the fortress itself. The entrance fee is 4lei normal and 1 leu for students. Go inside the church and the entrance to the tower is at the rear of the church sanctuary. The panoramic view from the tower is a highlight a trip to Viscri. As you walk down from the church, a small gate on the right side provides access to the graveyard which surrounds the church, which offers a good view of the fortified church structure.
- The Saxon museum is located in the fortress and requires no extra entrance fee. It features several rooms that show the now almost extinct Saxon culture. Tip: the women keeping the museum and fortress is a Saxon herself, one of the last 25 in the village; you can ask her about Saxon culture and history. She will be happy to tell you.
- The brickworks are burning clay bricks and tiles as they used to 500 years ago.
- The charburner is still making coal in a traditional way.
Near the school and the post office there is a shop of the Association of Women from Viscri, where you can find handmade socks, hats, pottery and other traditional art and crafts.
Str Principala 125 is a hostel that has WiFi.
Every meal and every ingredient in Viscri is homemade, the only thing produced industrially in your meals will be oil and sugar. A meal ranges from 20 to 50 lei, depending on what you eat.
Near the school there is a good and very cheap cafe: fresh coffee for 4 lei, water 1 leu.
- Viscri 125, i.e. No. 125 on the main road of Viscri, is a full facility hotel with good facilities Viscri 125, 125, Viscri, Brasov County, Romania (Find No.125), ☎ +40 723579489 ([email protected]), . Hotel in Viscri See website. edit
There are also about 60 rooms in the whole village with prices around 35 lei/ person/ night. Because it is a village and everybody knows everybody you can just ask somebody to help you find a place to stay.
There is a nice pension located at the corner of the T-intersection, where the main road meets the steep road leading up to the fortified church. The pension is on one right-angle corner of the T-intersection on the slope, and is directly opposite the Romanian government building which is on the other right-angle corner of the T-intersection.
For more information about Viscri and other villages in Tarnava Mare - contact Saschiz Tourist Information Centre, details can be found at www.discovertarnavamare.org