Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania with population of over 0.5 million.
Inhabited for centuries, Vilnius today is a multinational city with significant Polish and Russian minorities, about 20% each of them. It used to have a strong Jewish minority before World War II, but most of the Jews from Vilnius got exterminated. After the war the Soviet government expelled most of the remaining Polish population of the city and replaced them with Lithuanian and Russian citizens.
Vilnius International Airport is the largest airport in Lithuania.
A taxi is 20LTL. Bus no. 2 goes to downtown Vilnius.
Motorway to Kaunas
Tower at Cathedral Square
- The old town. Many churches and other building built in 13th-19th centuries
- Gediminas castle. The red-bricked tower is preserved from the Higher Castle erected in the 13th–14th centuries
- Cathedra Basilica. Original (wooden) cathedral built in 1251. In 1387 a gothic style cathedral was built. The most beautiful part of the Cathedral, the baroque chapel of St. Casimir, was built in 1623–1636.
- Lithuanian National Museum. Biggest and oldest source of national cultural heritage in the country, which systematically collects, stores, displays, and popularises the history of the state. www.lnm.lt
- The Centre of Europe. 25 km to the North of Vilnius is the real centre of Europe, marked by The National Institute of Geography of France in 1989.
- The overpriced European Park. The sculptures, which are the works of sculptors from more than 70 countries worldwide, are exhibited in the open area of 55 ha. www.europosparkas.lt
- Old Arsenal Building
- Artilery Bastion of Vilnius Defensive Wall
- Three Crosses Hill is a memorable place because seven Franciscan monks were tortured here by the pagans.
- Trakai, , Water castle outside Vilnius
- the cemeteries
- Uzupis district
- Vilnius University. Founded in 1579 by Polish king Stefan Batory, it is one of the oldest Universities in Eastern Europe.
Small market in old town opening
- wool socks and hats.
- Cili PICA, Didzioji g. 5, and other locations  Pizza, pasta, salads.
- Piti. Islandijos g.4, tel:852627560. Azerbaijani food. Eg the Spicy Piti dish with beef and potatos in a clay pot. Main courses ca. 20 LTL.
- La Provance, Vokieciu str 22, tel: 852616573, fax:862312360, email:[email protected], , french inspired food with house specials such as roebuck with cherry sauce. Starters ca 30LTL, main courses 60LTL, extensive wine list starting at 80 LTL.
- Prospekto PUB, Gedimino pr. 2/1, fun place with non-trendy music, good drinks and a good atmosphere.
- Internet. Free wireless internet at the airport, but it is very slow.
Also a few wireless spots (paid) and a free hotspot at the Akropolis shoping center.