| || |
|−|While most Tap water meets WHO guidelines it is still safest to drink from bottled water. |+|
| || |
Revision as of 05:23, 21 November 2008
Victoria is the capital of the Seychelles islands, located on the island of Mahe.
Victoria is one of the smallest capital cities in the world and the only major port in the Seychelles. Its courthouse and post office in the center of town have been virtually unchanged since colonial times.
The airport in the city is Seychelles International Airport.
This is the hub for Air Seychelles. Air Seychelles flies to Bangkok, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Johannesburg, Rome, Milan and Port Louis via Boeing 767 aircraft. International service is also available from Nairobi (Kenya Airways), Dubai (Emirates), and Doha (Qatar Airways), London (British Airways), Paris (Air France) and regular charter services from Frankfurt (Condor) and Amsterdam (Martinair).
These buses cater to the locals and are fairly cheap. Buses are sometimes irregular and may come to a stop less often than in other cities, so don't be surprised to wait for a while.
The taxis are metered and will often offer to be your tour guide around the Island. Negotiate a price beforehand.
The most popular alternative among locals. Bikes can be rented for cheap at some shops in the city.
- The Natural History Museum features many displays of the natural wildlife of the Seychelles.
- Visit the morning market where residents buy and bargain for fresh fish, fruits and vegetables.
Coconuts and coconut products are very abundant in Victoria and sell for fairly cheap.
- Lovenut Nightclub, in the center of Victoria. Great atmosphere where you can nicely mix with locals. So far club has best light and sound in the country. Big plus - a taxi station just few steps away, so to get home or to your hotel is not a problem even you have few drinks. Cosy design and VIP area always attract party lovers and club is always crowded. Here you can meet some celebrities, models and sometimes not-so-quiet type businessmen.
- Casuarina Beach Hotel. Safe and clean rooms. Approximately US$200.
- Le Meridien Barbarons, ☎ (248) 673 000 ([email protected], fax: (248) 673 380), . checkin: Noon; checkout: 10AM. Approximately $US250.