Victor Harbor is a large coastal town 80km southeast of Adelaide in South Australia.
No, Victor Harbor isn't a spelling mistake - or at least not one within recent memory. It is an error in the early surveying of the town that has persisted to this day
Misty, pulling the Granite Island tram
Victor Harbor is tourist oriented, and has many accommodation options, and some purpose built visitor activities. It draws a weekend crowd from Adelaide, and some visitors from further afield. It does cater for the schoolies after exams finish for the year so take this into account when selecting a time to visit.
Most people get to Victor Harbor by a 90 minute or so drive from Adelaide, but there is a coach service run by Premier Stateliner  from Adelaide Central Bus Station and Goolwa. Fares are $19.50/$9.50. You can switch to a airport bus at Marion Shopping Centre rather than in Adelaide City, but check the timetable as buses to Marion only go every hour or so.
The Steamranger runs the Southern Encounter  service on Sundays twice monthly(Departing from Mt Barker in the Adelaide Hills), giving around 4 hours to explore the town. Adults $48.00. Children 5 years and over $26.00. They also run a train to Goolwa Sundays, Wednesdays and every day during the school holidays. One way fares are available on request.
The Victor Harbor town is small enough to walk around. The shopping main shopping strip, cafes, and pubs are only a short walk to the fair and the causeway to Granite Island.
Parking can get a bit tight along the water, so once you have found a parking spot, best just to leave the car there and walk the rest.
Europcar have an agency operating out of the City Motel on Ocean Street, just off the main strip. They charge one-way fees to drive to Adelaide, but they may waive them if you talk to them directly.
Fountain in Victor Harbor
- South Australian Whale Centre, 2 Railway Terrace, . $8/$4.
- Whale watching. Southern Right Whales can be seen from the shore May until October. South Australian government runs a maintains a web page which contains the latest foreshore sighting information .
- Urimbirra Wildlife Experience, (around 5km from Victor Harbour), ☎ +61 8 8554 6554.
- Nearby Inman Valley is on the Inman Valey Rd, about 14km inland of Victor Harbor. The town itself has a couple of houses and a farm equipment shop, but Selwyn's Rock, more commonly known as Glacier Rock is near here. Access is by a very short walk with steps.
- Waitpinga Hill is a lookout over the town and the water, above Encounter Bay.
View back to Victor Harbor from Granite Island
Granite Island is undoubtedly the major attraction of the town. It is linked by a wooden causeway to the mainland. You can walk across the causeway in 15 minutes or so, or you can take a horse-drawn tram across. It is free to walk, but you have to pay for the tram.
Once you get to the island there is a walk that circles the island, and takes around 45 minutes. There are wildflowers, rock formations, and sea cliff views to see. There is a cafe/kiosk there too.
If you get the tram, it takes you further than just across the causeway. It travels around 200m on the island, as far as the cafe and visitor's centre complex - so it actually does save you a substantial walk - although it doesn't really save you any time.
The Bluff seen from Granite Island
No cars or bicycles are allowed on the causeway. Disabled visitors can arrange for taxi access through to the cafe.
- There is a cycleway that goes from Victor Harbour along the coastline to Goolwa . Bike hire is available in Victor Harbor.
- Victor Harbor Cycle and Skate, (On the main road, near the corner of Island St), ☎ +61 8 8552 1417.
- There is a Golf Course just out of town.
- There is a Putt-Putt golf in town.
- Ocean Street, Ocean Street (Main road in Victor Harbour). The main drag features a variety of shopping, clothes, newsagents, food etc
Ninos in Albert Place do Yiros Pizza.
- Hotel Victor, Encounter Restaurant, and Norfolk Cafe. Cafe and restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Pub bar, and bottle shop.
- Flying Fish Cafe, Horseshoe bay (almost on the beach at Horseshoe bay, Pt Elliot), ☎ 08 8554 3504. Has a cafe serving fresh fish and chips at good prices and a silver service restaurant next door. Unbeatable views from either the cafe or restaurant.
- Alexandrina Cheese, Mt Compass (Look for the signs on your way down, it's a left around Mt Compass), ☎ 08 8554 9666. Consistently win international awards for their cheese. Also try their famous milkshakes and take away some cream.
For the tourist town that it is, there are numerous accommodation options here. The country motels, B&B's, hostels and rental accommodation.
- McCracken Country Club, McCracken Drive (on the right hand side of Adelaide Road before you get to Victor Harbor town), ☎ 08 8551 0200, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:30. Welcome to McCracken Country Club Located just one hour from Adelaide at Victor Harbor, on the magnificent Fleurieu Peninsula, 4.5 star McCracken Country Club is ideal for your next romantic getaway or conference. Situated on the edge of the Tony Cashmore designed links/lakes McCracken Golf Course, you will enjoy panoramic views across the Hindmarsh Valley or the beautiful Victor Harbor coast. We invite you to rejuvenate in our indoor heated lap pool, sauna and spa bath and be pampered by our massage therapists in our newly opened Day Spa. For the enthusiasts we boast a state of the art Health Club, including gymnasium, flood lit tennis courts and personal fitness instructor. Play a round of golf on our 18 hole championship links/lakes golf course, improve your game with a lesson from our golf professional, or enjoy a leisurely stroll around McCracken Estate. Savour the many flavours of modern Australian cuisine by our innovative chefs, complemented by our extensive wine list in Baudins Restaurant. Alternatively the Bistro offers a cosy and relaxed dining experience and licensed bar. Spoil yourself a little further with a wicked beverage in our exclusive Furphy’s Cocktail bar or enjoy a nightcap in your room. Our cutting edge business conference and meeting facilities coupled with our luxurious surroundings in a premier tourist region make business a pleasure every time. Leave conference, wedding, function or corporate event planning in our dedicated hands and we will ensure a unique and successful event that is second to none. $150-450.
- Anchorage At Victor Harbor 21 Flinders Parade, Victor Harbor, SA, 5211 Phone: +61 8 8552 5970 Business Fax: +61 8 8552 1970
- Sealink run coaches from here to meet the ferries to Kangaroo Island every day except Saturday and Wednesday.