Earth : Europe : Italy : Northeast Italy : Veneto : Verona (province) : Valpolicella
It is well known all over the world for its wines: Recioto, Valpolicella Ripasso and Amarone. It also offers a number of historical and art related things to see. relevant and interesting villages are: San Pietro Incariano, Fumane, Negrar. All of them are filled with wineries and places to eat, although the wineries are not as accessible to the public as some other world famous wine regions. For example, Negrar, "City of Wine," only has a few places to taste the local wines. Visiting Valpolicella will pay dividends for the wine tourist, but these will not be as easy to realize as in other famous wine cities in Italy like Montalcino or Montepulciano, where tasting rooms are thick on the ground.
Valpolicella is rather close to Lake Garda, the biggest lake in Italy.
To get to Valpolicella from Verona, take the ringroad and follow directions to Valpolicella-Trento. From highway A4 Milano Venezia, exit at Verona Sud and follow the quickway in direction Valpolicella-Trento. From Highway A22 Brennero Modena, exit at the Verona Nord gate, and you're almost there, just follow the quickway until it ends.
Don't miss the Palladian Villas in Negrar, Pedemonte and San Pietro in Cariano. In Molina, just a few kilometers up Fumane, there is the beautiful Cascate di Molina park, with natural waterfalls and hikes in the nature. Visit San Giorgio Ingannapoltron, one of the most beautiful Italian villages, and its Romanic parish church, overlooking the Valpolicella vineyards on East and Lake Garda on West.
- Edicole religiose della Valpolicella, Loc. Crocetta Marano di Valpolicella Verona, . Walk through the ancient paths created by the pilgrims and meet along the paths the religious columns in the Valpolicella decorated with frescoes and enjoy a magnificent view of the Valpolicella
A tour of Valpolicella wineries. Visit the vineyards, cellars, grape drying centers (for the making of the Amarone) and taste Valpolicella wines.
- Discover Valpolicella, Loc. Gazzo 4 37020 Marano di Valpolicella Verona, . Don't miss to visit an old rural farmhouse in the highest hills of the Valpolicella. Enjoy the Discover Valpolicella tour learning how to make the famous Amarone from dried grapes and visit an authentic small boutique winery. After the tour, sip 3 wines DOC (Valpolicella, Ripasso and Amarone) and find the best food matches with local cheeses, salami and fresh handmade bread.
There is an outdoor market in Negrar on Mondays. It is a typical Italian weekly market.
Beside wine, Valpolicella offers a wide variety of local food: Monte Veronese: is the typical cheese produced in Verona mountains. It can be fresh or aged Soppressa: the typical salami of Veneto region. Risotto all'Amarone: Risotto made with Valpolicella top wine: the Amarone. Brasato all'Amarone Beef braised in an Amarone-base sause.
If you visit Valpolicella, chances are you are interested in the local wines. If you want to taste wine, be aware that wine tourism in Valpolicella is not as developed as that in other world famous wine regions like Tuscany, Piedmont, or Burgundy. It can be challenging to taste the local wines in Valpolicella. You will need to do some homework in order to find the producers, and it is best to call ahead to arrange tastings. Some famous local wine producers, like Quintarelli, are not open to the public.
Notable local producers of Amarone, Ripasso, and Recioto include the family-owned Luigi Brunelli winery (Via Cariano 10, 37020 San Pietro in Cariano - open every day with possibility of wine tours, charme accommodation and wine tasting in a warm atmosphere), Tomasso Bussola (Via Molino Turri 30, Negrar, Telephone: +39 045 750 1740, Fax: +39 045 601 1363), Zenato and Allegrini. A little producer is Fratelli Vogadori (Via Vigolo, 16 Negrar Telephone +39 328 94 17 228) here you can always visit the winery and taste the wines. The winery is always avaible to support tourists to choose a good osteria, or a place where to sleep or to indicate what there is to see in Valpolicella. In the side of Vogadori winery there are rooms so you can really enjoy the Valpolicella life!
Tenuta Santa Maria Valverde is a boutique-winery located in an enchanting place upon the hills nearby Marano di Valpolicella: is it also the first Bike Station in the Valpolicella. You can ride E-bikes with them, discovering the surrounding vineyards and taste their handmade wines with bites of local food.
To sleep in Valpolicella, you'll have to choose among nice small hotels to family bed & breakfast.
- Agriturismo Valpolicella Corte Cariano is located in the middle of the vineyards of the Amarone wine district, in one among the most ancient courtyards of Valpolicella. Archs and niches depict the romantic identity of each room. The great care to details inspired the recent restoration, made with respectful attention for the original materials and atmospheres. This lovely country house belongs to the Brunelli family-owned winery, one of the historical producers and best interpreters of Amarone Dogs and Riserva, just a few meters from the agriturismo. Free wine tasting and tour of the cellars are part of the experience. Apartments and rooms are available.
- Bed & Breakfast Acinaticum Valpolicella you can sleep in the rooms in the side of Fratelli Vogadori winery so you can have a wonderful winetasting in the winery and after you can relax enjoying the panorama. It's in Negrar on the Vigolo hill and there is a fantastic view of the Valpolicella! Amarone, Amarone Forlago, Recioto, Ripasso and Valpolicella are the wines you can taste and buy!
- Dimora del Bugiardo Agriturismo del Bugiardo is a Wine Resort close to Verona, in Valpolicella. A 4 star hotel with 20 rooms in typical style and with all the comforts of a great 4 star resort. Pearl of the Agriturismo del Bugiardo are the Wine Cave and the Locanda for high level dinner. A perfect excape just a walk from Verona. *2
- Hotel Valpolicella International The Hotel Valpolicella is a modern and well equipped 3 stars hotel, recently and completely renewed. It is located in the heart of Valpolicella and close the Highway A22. The hotel has 42 comfortable bedrooms, all equipped with TV, air conditioning, telephone, minibar and hairdryer. The Hotel Valpolicella also provides a meeting room, the restaurant and pizzeria *3
- Corteforte B&B The farm holidays Corteforte is a bed and breakfast accommodation within a 600-year old fortified farmhouse. The B&B lies on a prestigious wine estate between Verona and Lake Garda. There are 4 magnificent and luxurious double rooms inside an ancient mast, each with a private bathroom and hairdryer, and every room is furnished differently with antiques, TV, and a minibar. There is no air conditioning, but you won’t need it, the metre-thick walls keep the rooms cool and fresh. With comfortable vacation accommodation, an excellent restaurant, and the chance to sample and buy fine Valpolicella, Amarone and Recioto wines, this promises a holiday of indulgence and luxury. *4
- Locanda cà dei maghi The new Locanda Ca' dei Maghi is located in the most attractive area of Valpolicella: Fumane between Verona and Lake Garda. The property overlooks the valley and its wineyards and it is plunged in an atmosphere of tranquillity. All the bedrooms have a private bathroom, minibar, air conditioning and are sound proof. The property is provided of a restaurant that offers you the typical and traditional dishes of the Veneto region. *5