Hello, Reachrich! Welcome to Wikitravel.
To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub.
Thank you for all the great work on Pushkinskie Gory! --Peter Talk 21:20, 18 June 2011 (EDT)
Hi there. You are doing some excellent work on Sochi! However, please refrain from breaking this article into districts at this point. We typically don't split a city article into districts until the main article is basically overflowing with info, and then we discuss a thorough districtification scheme that methodically covers every part of a city with no overlap before proceeding with district articles. If you have any questions, please let me know on my talk page. texugo 11:29, 21 June 2011 (EDT)
- Hmm.. Ok. Maybe I was being a bit hasty. I retracted the deletion nomination for the moment to see what's going to happen with the article. I would say it needs to be presented first as a destination in its own right though, rather than a distant "district" of Sochi, regardless of where the city hall decisions are made... texugo 11:40, 21 June 2011 (EDT)
- Still, please refrain from dividing the actual city portion of Sochi into further district articles, at least until the main article is starting to bulge at the seams. texugo 11:45, 21 June 2011 (EDT)
Знал бы прикуп...=
I'm having trouble figuring out this phrase, as I'm not sure what прикуп means, even after looking it up in various dictionaries—and the word talon is very unclear (does it have something to do with cards?). Could you explain what Знал бы прикуп - жил бы в Сочи means? --Peter Talk 13:49, 21 June 2011 (EDT)
- Understood. It sounds like talon is the best translation, but I think a literal translation will be incomprehensible to nearly all English speakers. I'm trying to think of an similar way to say this using a betting card game widely known among English speakers, which would likely have to be poker or blackjack, but it's hard to make it work succinctly: "If I could divine the Blackjack dealer's hand, I would live in Sochi" (the meaning is still unclear—it gives the impression that the speaker would move to Sochi to gamble); "If I could read my poker buddies' minds, of all the cities in the world, I would enjoy my wealth in Sochi" (much more clear, but very far from a direct translation, and not succinct). It's really difficult to get the meaning across in English—I think I'd probably remove the quote altogether, and just use it in the Russian language version. --Peter Talk 15:03, 21 June 2011 (EDT)
- If I were the translator, I would suggest the more idiomatic "If I could read the cards..." If it is interesting enough, you could make an infobox with a blurb, but in this case I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble. texugo 09:55, 22 June 2011 (EDT)
- texugo, thanks, seems to be a very good solution. Andrey
I'm a little concerned about Image:Adlerstation.jpg because a) it appears to be photocopied from a brochure or booklet of some kind, and b) it is a digital image created by someone and presumably copyrighted. You did not provide any source info when you uploaded the image. So what gives? texugo 09:59, 22 June 2011 (EDT)
- The original picture is wall billboard at Adler station showing the construction project and open to any visitor and photographer. So, I believe, that initial picture is open-sourced. Photo is made by a good friend of mine who allows to copy it in current dimension. I've edited the license parameter of the photo accordingly. Andrey
- Just because an image is publicly displayed does not necessarily mean it is free from copyright. If you don't want to remove it, I suggest taking it to Shared:Votes for deletion and see how consensus comes down on this one. texugo 10:41, 22 June 2011 (EDT)
- Ok, deleted, will check for alternatives.
- You removed it from the article, but it's still on our server. Shall I delete it or would you like it to go through the vfd process? texugo 10:58, 22 June 2011 (EDT)
- Let's go through the vfd.
- Done. You can see the discussion here. By the way, please sign your posts-- all you have to do is type "~~~~" at the end of your post (without the quotes). texugo 11:15, 22 June 2011 (EDT)
This image was also uploaded with no source, and appears to be copied from . I can't read the website but it does have a copyright notice at the bottom of the homepage. You have to either show that it is compatible with our Copyleft or show that the site has released the image for use here. Otherwise it needs to be deleted from our server. Could you please let me know? texugo 10:13, 22 June 2011 (EDT)
- I've changed the picture beacuse I cannot prove the compatibility of previous one with Copyleft. Andrey
- Ok. I can see that that new one likely has a Creative Commons license, but you still need to go back there and fill in the source information. texugo 10:55, 22 June 2011 (EDT)
Let's clear these up too. You're doing some awesome work with this page. Let's try to be just as rigorous with our image sourcing! texugo 10:51, 22 June 2011 (EDT)
Андрей, по трем субрегионам во Владимирской области это не Питеру вопрос. Мы сначала это сделали в русском разделе, а потом Александр перенес в английский. Деление на регионы продиктовано правилом 7+/-2, если много городов в регионе, то некоторые из них могут потерятся. Digr 15:34, 7 July 2011 (EDT)
- ОК, я понял, спасибо за ответ. Тогда и 4 куска Московской области логичны. Andrey Selskiy 15:41, 7 July 2011 (EDT)
- Четыре мало. В МО 77 городов. То есть надо минимум 9-10 регионов. Но это дело очень тонкое, и пока не назрело активное обсуждение. Пока есть предполагаемое деление по сторонам света, в Википутешествии еще определено Ближнее и Дальнее Подмосковье. И вообще мы сейчас стараемся отойти от административного деления, в сторону историко-георгафического. Digr 08:07, 8 July 2011 (EDT)
- Это действительно очень тонкое дело, учитывая, что далеко не во все эти 77 городов есть смысл соваться туристам. А исторических городов МО, если мне не изменяет память, 22. И тогда 4-х субрегионов уже достаточно, по крайней мере до того времени, как они будут детально описаны. Деление на ближнее и дальнее Подмосковье тоже конечно обосновано. Тут скорее "Большая Москва" со спальными пригородами и реальная область. Возможно, стоит выделить Moscow (district) как уже выделен Saint Petersburg (district). В случае с Питером, правда, он совпадает с субъектом РФ, а в случае с Москвой это будет викитрэвельная условность.Andrey Selskiy 08:24, 8 July 2011 (EDT)
- Что за 22? Это по списку в Википедии? Digr 10:32, 8 July 2011 (EDT)
- Ну в том числе. В Википедии []. Andrey Selskiy 11:03, 8 July 2011 (EDT)
- Прикольно, особенно если учесть что я создал эту статью ))). Digr 13:55, 8 July 2011 (EDT)