Older stuff at User_talk:Pashley/Archive1
Hi Pashley, You have probably have noticed that I have started this travel topic. Please take a look and see if it suits your purposes and add extra sections as you feel appropriate. I will have a go at adding content where I feel I have something useful to say. Cheers, • • • Peter (Southwood) Talk 04:35, 2 June 2011 (EDT)
- Bravo. Looks good so far. Pashley 07:11, 2 June 2011 (EDT)
I have been watching this one hatch with some interest. I think it is close to being more than worthy of a nomination and very well done so far. Just a couple of comments:
- One little formating issue which is sure to come under scrutiny is the use of front-links which are positively discouraged in our MoS. For example International Living should really be International Living 
- Instinctively I feel that the article would benefit from a medical section, the need for evacuation insurance in many less developed countries etc. For many retired folks this would be a major issue I feel. --Burmesedays 04:39, 4 June 2011 (EDT)
- Done. Pashley 06:11, 4 June 2011 (EDT)
Hello Pashley! Your retirement page is fantastic! Thanks for creating the page. I'll try to add to it if I think of anything. BTW, I'm also in China. SONORAMA 07:43, 11 June 2011 (EDT)
Courtray / Kortrijk
Perhaps you mistakenly regarded this edit of mine as vandalism, but it is not. The article about the town on Wikitravel uses the name Courtray, so that's the name that should be used in the list. Here are a few references for the use of the name Courtray in English: , . - 184.108.40.206 05:19, 11 September 2011 (EDT)
- No, I did not think it was vandalism. I just think that since the original UNESCO list uses Kortrijk, it is better to leave that spelling in our article. Kortrijk redirects to Courtray, so anyone following the link ends up in the right place.
- Change it back if you like; this is a judgement call and, if you know the area, your judgement may well be better than mine. Pashley 22:13, 11 September 2011 (EDT)
Breadcrumb fixup list refreshed!
Hi Pashley! Thanks for your hard work fixing breadcrumb. I have re-run the algorithm on a fresh wikitravel dump so your help would be greatly appreciated :-)
Thanks a lot!
Nicolas1981 21:55, 6 November 2011 (EST)
Im glad to be of service, Iran is a very interesting country. i was wondering how to add pictures to the pages, im kinda new at this. sorry for asking --Khajida91 02:28, 13 February 2012 (EST)
People paid to flood discussions
I am not sure whether or how this affects us, but something else to aware of are what is called in Chinese an "Internet water army", people paid to post favorable reviews or comments on consumer or political forums. Some interesting research on these has just been published . I bet China is far from the only place where this happens. Pashley 22:59, 22 November 2011 (EST)
- The above message was swept in from the pub. JamesA >talk 04:47, 4 June 2012 (EDT)
Hi Pashley, I saw that you have been reverting some of Legoines' edits to the Article templates/Sections page. He has also posted spam and created a page that was spam. His actions seem suspicious to me. Do you have any suggestions as to how to proceed? Thanks! IBobi talk email 15:36, 30 August 2012 (EDT)
Hi. I am in fact not interested in hit-pieces written by disgruntled ex admins or people who failed to sell a product and now wish to tear down the community that rejected them. I'm especially not interested in backdoor methods to continue to stir up issues that are now in the past. Just let it go. We're moving forward, and you should too, whatever that means to you.--IBobi talk email 15:26, 30 September 2012 (EDT)
Thank you again
For your admin efforts. We really are trying to keep up, and for the most part we're doing ok. If you happen to see patterns in the new spam pages being created that we can use as part of a filter rule, don't hesitate to bring it to my or IBAlex or IBcash's attention. If the pattern is that they're from the same IP/range, you can always block them.--IBobi talk email 18:27, 18 October 2012 (EDT)
- As one of only two active community admins remaining, I would be grateful for your endorsement here, Sandy. --W. Franke-mailtalk 05:01, 20 October 2012 (EDT)
Previously when one moved a page, the discussion page and histories were moved (by default) at the same time.
This did not seem to happen when I just re-named American and British English to English language varieties.
Would you rescue me, please? --singaporeAlice 01:16, 17 November 2012 (EST)
- Sorry, no. Busy with other things. Pashley 06:37, 17 November 2012 (EST)
- Somebody has re-united it with its history page now. If that was you, then thanks a lot, Sandy. If it wasn't, then thanks anyway for all the boring work you're doing squashing those spam links pages! --singaporeAlice 19:26, 18 November 2012 (EST)
Hi Sandy, I'm taking this unusual step because PeterFitzgerald has responded to my WV message by blocking both me and my IP address, making it impossible for me to even respond on my talk page to his ludicrous, vindictive, unilateral decision to ban me from WV after alerting that community to the presence of a potential threat in Jpatokal. You'll notice he also hard deleted both my edit and your comment on my edit, with no community consultation whatsoever. You folks can do with that information what you will, but as I said, I have electronic evidence of Jani's behavior if you care to see it. Of course I suppressed the edits of the female WT's user page, as leaving them would defeat the purpose of protecting her privacy in the the first place. If you decide to pursue both the investigation into Jpatokal's behavior as well as the abuse of power of Peter in this case, feel free to contact me here, as I cannot even comment on WV.--IBobi 15:44, 30 November 2012 (EST)
- As I see it, banning you from WV because you work for a company that has made legal threats and indeed started legal action is obviously correct per policy and not even particularly vindictive. When the legal foofra is all over (not yet unless i missed something), lifting the ban can be discussed. Show me an announcement that all is settled and I'll start the discussion myself.
- As for Jani, I dunno. Frankly, I have more reason to trust him than you. I'm curious, but I'm not about to 'pursue an investigation'. Pashley 16:06, 30 November 2012 (EST)
- So this is not a case of impersonation then.
- Is there a distinction to be made between posts Paul O'Brien makes as an individual (civilian?) WikiV. user and those he makes as an employee of the litigious Internet Brands organisation?
- If not, then I suppose the banning of IBobi at WikiV. is policy compliant.
- However, I still regard blocking him from defending himself on his own user talk page at WVoyage as contrary to natural justice and I shall need to amend UUTP appropriately. After all, if IBobi is rash enough to write anything clearly illicit on his own user talk page it can be very quickly oversighted by their (relatively large) team of bureaucrats? --singaporeAlice 17:05, 30 November 2012 (EST)
- Quote from W-voyage: "AFAIK, Pashley, the suit initiated by IB has been dropped because they dropped the federal Lanham Act claim, leaving no jurisdiction for the federal court. They may re-file their other claims in California state court, but I don't know if they will or not. The remaining legal action is a request by WMF for summary judgement declaring that IB has no right to interfere in the establishment of WV as a WMF project. (To Alice: If the account ISN'T actually Paul O'Brien, then it ought to be blocked for impersonation; it's hardly a defense.) WVUser:LtPowers (WVUser talk:LtPowers) 22:05, 30 November 2012 (UTC)"
1. The revision history of IP user 220.127.116.11, who only edited Jpatokal's user pages and IBAlex's page, and 3 other pages -- one of which, Tampere, was edited 25 minutes later by Jpatokal. There's no doubt this is Jani's IP address.
But just in case there was...
2. Jani, as he recently appeared on Alex's Linkedin account.
3. The actual edit in question. This would get anyone permabanned here at Wikitravel. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by IBobi (talk • contribs)
- Given how IB staff reacted to us, and the discussions taking place on Wikitravel, with unilateral bans, reverts, demotions, server-side tampering of revision history, lawsuits and god knows what else, with the explicit message that if we should leave (like the one I got personally), isn't it a bit rich that you are even present there? What exactly are you doing there? If its to protect IB interests, you are making yourself guilty of the exact same sin you accused us of, and believed to be unacceptable.
- Jpatokal is based in Australia, and the IP lead you posted is from a user in Finland. And even if he was there, how anything of the above constitute evidence is beyond me. And even if he did something, I fail to see how reacting strongly, and perhaps, wrongly to a corporate takeover of a website he had spend countless hours on for years, would constitute a threat to (censored). It all seems like a poor joke of a personal vendetta of your own. And I for one, don't mind the ban one bit.
- Ex WT-user activity here should have decreased significantly, once a new home was finally set up, so this all seems like a desire to keep the conflict alive, out of economic and perhaps legal reasons. Since you just lost two users, who you probably thought might save you paying for, more or less, full time admin staff - you'd probably really like to present yourself at the victims, rather than the corporate vultures you really are. Its almost pitiful, and I think you should just let it go, and save yourself further humiliation. -Stefan
- First of all, Stefan, it should be perfect;y clear that THE reason I posted in your Pub in the first place is because you have a very creepy Bureaucrat who is stalking at least one of our editors, and I want it stopped. You ought to be glad for the warning. If that behavior is ok with you, with the other leaders of WV, say so. But I have posted clear evidence here. Ignore it at your peril, but do not accuse me of anything other than that. Your feelings about WV vs WT are not material here. Look at the facts. They're very clear. You're bending over backward to deny, and then excuse Jani's behavior, and then attack me for bringing it to light. Get your story straight.--IBobi 07:13, 2 December 2012 (EST)
- Common sense would indicate that accusations of the sort you're making would best be raised in a more private forum. E-mail, for instance. Your decision to go straight to the Pub implies that your intent was to sow discord among the project's users. Furthermore, the sheer irony of your demand to be able to post whatever you like on WV, while any mention of that project here is banned by a cryptically named edit filter, is almost laughable. Even worse, you -- the person who has reverted here on WT countless good-faith attempts to contact long-time editors about the fork -- now chastise others for removing your comments? LtPowers 11:26, 2 December 2012 (EST)
- Peter has (against WV policy, and unilaterally, once again) cut off my account's email privileges at WV. Besides which... what reason would there be to keep it "private"? This is an issue all WVers need to be aware of, that one of their bureaucrats is stalking a female user of another wiki. That's not the kind of thing you keep private. It's the kind of thing you post publicly, so that a small group of people (Peter, K7L, etc.) can't "keep it quiet". What a ridiculous notion. And I see no serious line of inquiry from you or any other WVer (you even went so far as to say, in the face of POSTED EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY "If you say you didn't do it, I believe you" -- but he did not even say that!), which means you believe Jani's behavior is ok, which means you're going to be responsible when this WV bureaucrat's behavior continues and/or gets worse. Your community and leaders have been made aware of the situation. If you choose to do nothing, you'll have to deal with the results. All this other WT vs WV stuff is just noise. Bottom line: keep your creepy Wikivoyage bureaucrats off this wiki.--IBobi 14:16, 3 December 2012 (EST)
Sorry, Sandy -- for the time being, this conversation is relevant to some serious allegations that have been made against a WV bureaucrat and serves as the repository for these important links in case people want to investigate. We'll leave them up until some kind of decision is reached on that. Please don't remove them, thanks.--IBobi 16:16, 4 December 2012 (EST)
- I do not want my page to 'serve as a repository' for this. The page exists for other users to communicate with me & I do not believe there is any useful communication going on in most of the above. If you want to preserve it, move it somewhere. I'll delete it again here in a day or two and expect not to be reverted.
- As for 'some kind of decision' being reached, it has been. I wrote above "As for Jani, I dunno. Frankly, I have more reason to trust him than you. I'm curious, but I'm not about to 'pursue an investigation'." Now I do know; Jani denies it (no, I'm not interested in your interpretation) & I still trust him more than you. That opinion seems more-or-less unanimous. The whole thing is, in my view, over. Pashley 17:23, 4 December 2012 (EST)
- He very specifically has not denied it. He said "wtf". That's not a denial. And since you seem to be of a similar mind to some of the WV admins, I'm genuinely curious how you dismiss the evidence posted here? Or why you believe I would simply make this up, and HOW you think it could be made up?? I'm flabbergasted at the lack of any kind of action over there.--IBobi 18:26, 4 December 2012 (EST)