Usurpation of account name "Alice"
I am sorry for this edit and causing you extra work to revert it:
I did not know it was not allowed - there is a lot to learn!
If the re-direct is not allowed, then please may I usurp the User account name of "Alice"?
This inactive user account name of "Alice" has never made a single contribution (since it was created at 19:14hrs, 3 September 2011):
whereas I wish to actively contribute and get my edits properly attributed.
Alice (from Singapore). --Singapore.Alice 14:01, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
- Hi Alice, we're very excited that you will be contributing to Wikitravel! Welcome aboard! Unfortunately, we cannot grant users access to names already registered by others. Even though a user may not be editing using their account, they may still be viewing content with it (there are many good reasons to register at Wikitravel rather than anonymously browsing). Besides, I think your chosen name is great! Let me know with any other questions or concerns,--IBobi talk email 14:46, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
- Thank you for your very fast and friendly response.
- Are you suggesting that people logon just to read Wikitravel and without ever interacting in any other way?
- What would be the advantage to a user in logging on just to read?
- Are you also saying that, apart from logging a log-in, you also record the pages logged on readers read?
- Is that unusual practice mentioned in your privacy statement? --Singapore.Alice 15:02, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
- People do log in just to read WT. Logging in allows you to set preferences affecting your user experience.--IBobi talk email 16:17, 26 September 2012 (EDT)
- Ah, you're right. I can now see in my preferences that I can check "Do not show ad column"
- Since the email facility is disabled here, would you email User:Alice and ask if she would be prepared to relinquish her account to me, an editor?
- Would you answer me please? --Singapore.Alice✉ 19:07, 1 October 2012 (EDT)
- You may feel free to leave Alice a message on her Talk page.--IBobi talk email 19:30, 1 October 2012 (EDT)
Clarification of current policies
You may recall that after I was nominated by yourself as an administrator here, I made some "Clarifications:". My second clarification was:
"2) Until the last couple of months or so, I thought I had a reasonable understanding of Wikitravel policies - not least because many of them had been patiently established and developed (largely by community discussion and consensus) over the more than 6 years that I have been editing here on Wikitravel!
Now, I do not think anyone is 100% clear as to what policies exactly currently take priority. If I am approved, I will encourage the site owners to clarify and crystallise what community policies have been suspended (and for what period), which have been dropped entirely, and what (if any) is the procedure that the site owners wish for discussing policy amendment or restoration."
Due to medical reasons, I may have more time in the future to update our articles.
I intend to begin with New Zealand of which I have many happy memories of holidays spent there.
Could you clarify whether it is still in order to link to the official tourist website of a particular country, please?
I assume it is, but please just revert me without prejudice if I am mistaken. --W. Franke-mailtalk 05:04, 3 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hi W Frank! As far as I'm aware, a link to an official (read: not commercial) tourism board site is ok. Glad you'll have time to work here, you are most welcome.--IBobi talk email 14:25, 3 October 2012 (EDT)
- Please call me "Frank", Sir. It's my Rufname in my native Germany.
- Thanks for your quick response, Sir, on this specific point and I look forward to clarification and crystallisation of what community policies have been suspended (and for what period), which have been dropped entirely, and what (if any) is the procedure that the site owners wish for discussing policy amendment or restoration when time allows.
- I have started on New Zealand today and hope to continue with its daughters when I have time. --W. Franke-mailtalk 15:05, 3 October 2012 (EDT)
I know you IBadmins are very busy right now, but may I draw your attention to this page (if it's not already on your watchlist). I have already drawn the attention of the blocking admin, IBcash, but I believe you will be able to examine and compare the IP's from which User:Himera has previously posted.
For what it's worth, my personal recommendation would be to at least unblock User:Himera from editing User_Talk:Himera until the current issues are unequivocally resolved. --W. Franke-mailtalk 10:41, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
Reserved user names
If it is technically possible and for the sake of clarity (and the prevention of impersonation), I would propose that the creation of new user accounts beginning "IB" be restricted to Bureaucrats. --W. Franke-mailtalk 11:08, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- Good idea if possible -- I'm not sure. Have you noticed anyone trying to create such names/impersonate admins?--IBobi talk email 13:20, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- No, but I suspect it's only a matter of time (now I've given the game away), so I would suggest you move quickly. --W. Franke-mailtalk 13:49, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
Sitenotice on zh:
Hi IBobi, could you change the sitenotice on zh:? It's really out of date. You can just change it to 歡迎來到維客旅行! which means Welcome to Wikitravel! Thanks! –sumone10154(talk) 20:39, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hey there -- we're going to be changing to notices next week to something more timely/announcey! We'll have a good one up for ZH then too ;) --IBobi talk email 19:25, 5 October 2012 (EDT)
- Ok, how are you going to translate the notices? Please don't use a machine translation like you did for your userpages; they tend to do a very poor job, and those translations are sometimes barely understandable (especially for zh:). –sumone10154(talk) 21:57, 5 October 2012 (EDT)
- We'll go through a Chinese admin.--IBobi talk email 05:32, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- There are currently no active admins on zh: (or on most language versions). –sumone10154(talk) 14:29, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- By the way, I can help with translation for fr: if you'd like (I would help for zh: too, but I don't speak Chinese very well). –sumone10154(talk) 14:33, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- Excellent! I'll let you know when we have it. As for ZH, that is about to change, much for the better ;) --IBobi talk email 14:38, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- So one week has passed already, and you have not changed the sitenotices. Could you just remove the one on zh: for now? You could replace it with the message I posted here (歡迎來到維客旅行!), or just replace it with a dash symbol - to blank it like the one on the French sitenotice; it doesn't matter, as long as you change it so it's not 3 years out of date. Thanks. –sumone10154(talk) 14:44, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- We're still working on one. Really, we'll try to have it updated this week on several languages including ZH :) --IBobi talk email 15:12, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
Sitenotice on ja: again
Hi. It has past almost one and half month since I posted this request and it has not yet progressed at all.
If you are unable to do it, bring us back the right to edit the sitenotice, please. It is quite as easy as pie for us ja: admins.--Shoestring 07:38, 14 October 2012 (EDT)
- See above -- we'll have it done soon I promise -- it's a multi-language effort now, not just ja and ZH :) --IBobi talk email 15:13, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hi Shoestring -- would you be willing to translate a short sitenotice for us, which we will put up on JA? Basically it is a call for more contributions, and for active users to potentially be admins. I know you have a great deal of experience on JA, and the language version is in excellent shape thanks to you and the other active members there, so we want to be sure you have whatevwer support you need. IBAlex will be in touch with you soon. Thank you,--IBobi talk email 19:43, 18 October 2012 (EDT)
"undoing vandalism"; adding multiple links to bestdest.info
There's a new Spammers trick.
One "Blackhat" vandalizes multiple pages - then the "Whitehat" comes riding to the rescue by claiming to "revert vandalism".
However the "Whitehat" does more than just a simple "undo",
he adds, in contravention of our external links policy, a series of artfully tailored links to "www.bestdest.info Travel Guide" and "www.bgdestination.info Travel Guide"
3 days ago I thanked Dajamer for his "very prompt action in restoring almost the same version of multiple pages after they were recently vandalised (but pointing out that "I wrote "almost" restored because in each of the many cases that I have examined - and although your helpful edit summary was invariably along the lines of: "Undo revision 1940994 by Trynew" - you actually did more than just a simple "undo", You added, in contravention of our external links policy, a series of artfully tailored links to "www.bestdest.info Travel Guide" and "www.bgdestination.info Travel Guide"" and I specifically asked Dajamer
"Please would you now agree to stop this ?"
So far, I have had no response from Dajamer. (Dajamer has, however, subsequently made 2 legitimate edits). --W. Franke-mailtalk 05:24, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- Good eye! I'd keep an eye out in case they're just trying to get in our good graces. If it continues, blocking would be in order.--IBobi talk email 14:46, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
User seems to join WT recently. I'm wondering why he granted admin-ship so fastly even without any nomination? 220.127.116.11 13:53, 19 October 2012 (EDT)