Usurpation of account name "Alice"
I am sorry for this edit and causing you extra work to revert it:
I did not know it was not allowed - there is a lot to learn!
If the re-direct is not allowed, then please may I usurp the User account name of "Alice"?
This inactive user account name of "Alice" has never made a single contribution (since it was created at 19:14hrs, 3 September 2011):
whereas I wish to actively contribute and get my edits properly attributed.
Alice (from Singapore). --Singapore.Alice 14:01, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
- Hi Alice, we're very excited that you will be contributing to Wikitravel! Welcome aboard! Unfortunately, we cannot grant users access to names already registered by others. Even though a user may not be editing using their account, they may still be viewing content with it (there are many good reasons to register at Wikitravel rather than anonymously browsing). Besides, I think your chosen name is great! Let me know with any other questions or concerns,--IBobi talk email 14:46, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
- Thank you for your very fast and friendly response.
- Are you suggesting that people logon just to read Wikitravel and without ever interacting in any other way?
- What would be the advantage to a user in logging on just to read?
- Are you also saying that, apart from logging a log-in, you also record the pages logged on readers read?
- Is that unusual practice mentioned in your privacy statement? --Singapore.Alice 15:02, 25 September 2012 (EDT)
- People do log in just to read WT. Logging in allows you to set preferences affecting your user experience.--IBobi talk email 16:17, 26 September 2012 (EDT)
- Ah, you're right. I can now see in my preferences that I can check "Do not show ad column"
- Since the email facility is disabled here, would you email User:Alice and ask if she would be prepared to relinquish her account to me, an editor?
- Would you answer me please? --Singapore.Alice✉ 19:07, 1 October 2012 (EDT)
- You may feel free to leave Alice a message on her Talk page.--IBobi talk email 19:30, 1 October 2012 (EDT)
Clarification of current policies
You may recall that after I was nominated by yourself as an administrator here, I made some "Clarifications:". My second clarification was:
"2) Until the last couple of months or so, I thought I had a reasonable understanding of Wikitravel policies - not least because many of them had been patiently established and developed (largely by community discussion and consensus) over the more than 6 years that I have been editing here on Wikitravel!
Now, I do not think anyone is 100% clear as to what policies exactly currently take priority. If I am approved, I will encourage the site owners to clarify and crystallise what community policies have been suspended (and for what period), which have been dropped entirely, and what (if any) is the procedure that the site owners wish for discussing policy amendment or restoration."
Due to medical reasons, I may have more time in the future to update our articles.
I intend to begin with New Zealand of which I have many happy memories of holidays spent there.
Could you clarify whether it is still in order to link to the official tourist website of a particular country, please?
I assume it is, but please just revert me without prejudice if I am mistaken. --W. Franke-mailtalk 05:04, 3 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hi W Frank! As far as I'm aware, a link to an official (read: not commercial) tourism board site is ok. Glad you'll have time to work here, you are most welcome.--IBobi talk email 14:25, 3 October 2012 (EDT)
- Please call me "Frank", Sir. It's my Rufname in my native Germany.
- Thanks for your quick response, Sir, on this specific point and I look forward to clarification and crystallisation of what community policies have been suspended (and for what period), which have been dropped entirely, and what (if any) is the procedure that the site owners wish for discussing policy amendment or restoration when time allows.
- I have started on New Zealand today and hope to continue with its daughters when I have time. --W. Franke-mailtalk 15:05, 3 October 2012 (EDT)
I know you IBadmins are very busy right now, but may I draw your attention to this page (if it's not already on your watchlist). I have already drawn the attention of the blocking admin, IBcash, but I believe you will be able to examine and compare the IP's from which User:Himera has previously posted.
For what it's worth, my personal recommendation would be to at least unblock User:Himera from editing User_Talk:Himera until the current issues are unequivocally resolved. --W. Franke-mailtalk 10:41, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
Reserved user names
If it is technically possible and for the sake of clarity (and the prevention of impersonation), I would propose that the creation of new user accounts beginning "IB" be restricted to Bureaucrats. --W. Franke-mailtalk 11:08, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- Good idea if possible -- I'm not sure. Have you noticed anyone trying to create such names/impersonate admins?--IBobi talk email 13:20, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- No, but I suspect it's only a matter of time (now I've given the game away), so I would suggest you move quickly. --W. Franke-mailtalk 13:49, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- You're a subtle troll, W. Frank. IBunny 23:54, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
Sitenotice on zh:
Hi IBobi, could you change the sitenotice on zh:? It's really out of date. You can just change it to 歡迎來到維客旅行! which means Welcome to Wikitravel! Thanks! –sumone10154(talk) 20:39, 4 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hey there -- we're going to be changing to notices next week to something more timely/announcey! We'll have a good one up for ZH then too ;) --IBobi talk email 19:25, 5 October 2012 (EDT)
- Ok, how are you going to translate the notices? Please don't use a machine translation like you did for your userpages; they tend to do a very poor job, and those translations are sometimes barely understandable (especially for zh:). –sumone10154(talk) 21:57, 5 October 2012 (EDT)
- We'll go through a Chinese admin.--IBobi talk email 05:32, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- There are currently no active admins on zh: (or on most language versions). –sumone10154(talk) 14:29, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- By the way, I can help with translation for fr: if you'd like (I would help for zh: too, but I don't speak Chinese very well). –sumone10154(talk) 14:33, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- Excellent! I'll let you know when we have it. As for ZH, that is about to change, much for the better ;) --IBobi talk email 14:38, 6 October 2012 (EDT)
- So one week has passed already, and you have not changed the sitenotices. Could you just remove the one on zh: for now? You could replace it with the message I posted here (歡迎來到維客旅行!), or just replace it with a dash symbol - to blank it like the one on the French sitenotice; it doesn't matter, as long as you change it so it's not 3 years out of date. Thanks. –sumone10154(talk) 14:44, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- We're still working on one. Really, we'll try to have it updated this week on several languages including ZH :) --IBobi talk email 15:12, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
Sitenotice on ja: again
Hi. It has past almost one and half month since I posted this request and it has not yet progressed at all.
If you are unable to do it, bring us back the right to edit the sitenotice, please. It is quite as easy as pie for us ja: admins.--Shoestring 07:38, 14 October 2012 (EDT)
- See above -- we'll have it done soon I promise -- it's a multi-language effort now, not just ja and ZH :) --IBobi talk email 15:13, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hi Shoestring -- would you be willing to translate a short sitenotice for us, which we will put up on JA? Basically it is a call for more contributions, and for active users to potentially be admins. I know you have a great deal of experience on JA, and the language version is in excellent shape thanks to you and the other active members there, so we want to be sure you have whatevwer support you need. IBAlex will be in touch with you soon. Thank you,--IBobi talk email 19:43, 18 October 2012 (EDT)
- Hi. Well, I am a bit busy these days, and I did not check this page, actually.
- If you finish making the short message you mentioned above, or other messages which you want to notice for ja: users, post them on my ja: talk page, please. I think I can translate them into Japanese and leave them on the ja: traveler's pub, if necessary.--Shoestring 08:21, 25 October 2012 (EDT)
- The Sitenotice was changed today. Please have a look. Is it fine right now? Cheers! IBAlex 20:21, 28 November 2012 (EST)
"undoing vandalism"; adding multiple links to bestdest.info
There's a new Spammers trick.
One "Blackhat" vandalizes multiple pages - then the "Whitehat" comes riding to the rescue by claiming to "revert vandalism".
However the "Whitehat" does more than just a simple "undo",
he adds, in contravention of our external links policy, a series of artfully tailored links to "www.bestdest.info Travel Guide" and "www.bgdestination.info Travel Guide"
3 days ago I thanked Dajamer for his "very prompt action in restoring almost the same version of multiple pages after they were recently vandalised (but pointing out that "I wrote "almost" restored because in each of the many cases that I have examined - and although your helpful edit summary was invariably along the lines of: "Undo revision 1940994 by Trynew" - you actually did more than just a simple "undo", You added, in contravention of our external links policy, a series of artfully tailored links to "www.bestdest.info Travel Guide" and "www.bgdestination.info Travel Guide"" and I specifically asked Dajamer
"Please would you now agree to stop this ?"
So far, I have had no response from Dajamer. (Dajamer has, however, subsequently made 2 legitimate edits). --W. Franke-mailtalk 05:24, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
- Good eye! I'd keep an eye out in case they're just trying to get in our good graces. If it continues, blocking would be in order.--IBobi talk email 14:46, 16 October 2012 (EDT)
User seems to join WT recently. I'm wondering why he granted admin-ship so fastly even without any nomination? 220.127.116.11 13:53, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- Is this a mistake?
- ( http://wikitravel.org/fi/K%C3%A4ytt%C3%A4j%C3%A4:OVK ) --W. Franke-mailtalk 17:03, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- This is a user native in FI and SV, who is patrolling on EN before helping with the administration of those sites. He is a trusted user on other sites. Please extend a welcome -- as you know, we can use the help.--IBobi talk email 17:37, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- What is his user name on those other sites, please? --W. Franke-mailtalk 17:43, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
Stemma da cancellare
Ciao, ti dovrei gentilmente chiedere un piacere. Potresti per favore cancellare lo stemma che tempo fa avevo inserito (dato che non c'è la licenza)? L'immagine è questa http://wikitravel.org/it/File:ProvinciaMonza-Stemma.gif Grazie mille. --Simonemb talk 23:11, 19 October 2012 (CEST)
- (I think he is asking you to remove the unlicensed image file he uploaded and references with the URL) --W. Franke-mailtalk 17:56, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- W.Frank Yes, you're understand :-) ... Please can you delete for me the coat of arms, of that url, that I had uploaded? Because there isn't a license. Thank you very much. I'm sorry! --Simonemb talk 01:24, 20 October 2012 (CEST)
- Finito.--IBobi talk email 19:24, 19 October 2012 (EDT)
- Ok grazie mille! --Simonemb talk 11:47, 20 October 2012 (CEST)
I have asked all my Indonesian friends and they have never heard of such a place.
Is this a joke? --18.104.22.168 06:37, 22 October 2012 (EDT) --SingaporeAlice✉ 06:40, 22 October 2012 (EDT)
I have been trying to remove the second duplicated section of "Other airports" in our Philippines article but keep getting the error message: "This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your edit was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: Pridurok3"
I accidentally duplicated this section myself and now I can not correct it since there are no admins that work duing an american weekend.
Please promote some people in different timezones. --SingaporeAlice✉ 06:11, 22 October 2012 (EDT)
- Now I can't delete all the spam links on this spammer's page: User:64vx00125os.
- I get this error message: "This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your edit was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: New users should not blank pages". Don't you want me to help fight spam? --SingaporeAlice✉ 07:01, 22 October 2012 (EDT)
- We're adding more admins but it is a slow process to build community; we want to be sure everyone is capable and trustworthy to handle such responsibilities.
- Meanwhile, I have deleted the user page you alerted us to, and it appears you have taken care of the airports section.--IBobi talk email 13:22, 22 October 2012 (EDT)
Confusing section title: Get out
Not surprisingly when we have a section title called Get in to describe how to travel to a destination, a lot of genuinely ignorant people (yourself included) often (wrongly) assume that they should add information on how to leave a travel article destination to our (currently confusingly named) Get out sections. (Confusingly, this section is actually intended to be where suggestions for where travellers should go next are made.)
This causes a HUGE amount of unnecessary work for the few people currently copy-editing Wikitravel articles in correcting the (entirely natural and avoidable) mistakes of casual and well-intentioned editors.
For this reason alone, your response to this question:
is long overdue, Sir. --W. Franke-mailtalk 21:43, 30 October 2012 (EDT)
- Please would you favour me with an answer to this question above? --W. Franke-mailtalk 15:45, 6 November 2012 (EST)
- See discussion page regarding using "Nearby". We'll change as soon as we can. Has a lot of support from current WTers.--IBobi talk email 15:49, 6 November 2012 (EST)
Unfortunately this article does not provide a solution to our problems with robotic spam but you may, nevertheless, be interested to read it. --W. Franke-mailtalk 15:45, 6 November 2012 (EST)
- Yeah, Captcha stinks. Recaptcha is worse, because it's genuinely hard to read. The good news is, Wikitravel is pretty much spam-free, thanks to the efforts of all concerned.--IBobi talk email 15:50, 6 November 2012 (EST)
- Spam free?!?
- You're deluding yourself. Just because I've stopped editing until you make a decision about appointing more (new?) janitors, doesn't mean I've stopped reading recent changes every 8 hours. --W. Franke-mailtalk 16:36, 6 November 2012 (EST)
- There is certainly spam that gets posted. There's no way to stop that and keep the site open for all to edit. But every bit of it is being deleted, and all the spammers and IP addresses are being blocked. Filters do some of the work. But for the most part we just have very very good human response here at Wikitravel.--IBobi talk email 17:20, 6 November 2012 (EST)
i have seen that you unprotected Mordor and that you removed the merge tag. It is one of our funniest fools day articles and i would like to keep it in the original sense. It's some insider humour within and i always laugh when i pass by. Please take no offense, when i protect and revert your last edit. Thanks in advance, Jc8136 05:29, 9 November 2012 (EST)
What the heck?
Why did you protect my userpage and remove my administrator access? This is completely contrary to community policy. LtPowers 08:20, 4 December 2012 (EST)
- We'll definitely look into that for you. We take violations of policy seriously here at the #1 travel wiki in the world, and if one of our admins has done something against policy we'll make sure it is brought to their attention. And if they deny it and it's obvious that they did in fact do it, we'll take action against them. This community does not attempt to sweep such investigations under the rug, or justify bad behavior on a technicality, or compromise our integrity through a mob mentality. I will personally get back to you! Thanks for bringing this to our attention, --IBobi 16:29, 4 December 2012 (EST)
- Actually, Paul, it was you. So drop the sarcasm and trying leveling with me for a change. Even if you can justify removing my administrator access, how do you justify locking down my user page? LtPowers 13:23, 5 December 2012 (EST
- Also, you attempted to sweep this under the rug by deleting LtPowers' question. I reverted. Then you make pompous & obviously false claims about policies you have repeatedly violated. Gimme a break! Pashley 14:34, 5 December 2012 (EST)
- I'll look into it for you. I'd hate for you to be locked out of even being able to discuss things on your own talk page. That doesn't sound fair at all. I'm sure you're not a "disruptive" presence. If you like, I can discuss things with my fellow admins & we'll come to some sort of reasonable solution to allow you to continue to post freely, on those rare occasions when you come to Wikitravel?--IBobi 14:49, 5 December 2012 (EST)
- It shouldn't be difficult; you just have to change the protection settings. I'd do it for you, but you seem to have removed my access contrary to policy. LtPowers 15:26, 6 December 2012 (EST)
Hi I was trying to edit my user page and got the following;
This action has been automatically identified as harmful, and therefore disallowed. If you believe your edit was constructive, please inform an administrator of what you were trying to do. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: Salem's Lot.
How do I overcome this problem?
Thanks IBdick 14:53, 5 December 2012 (EST)
- Couple of things:
- 1. I know you've been having trouble with the, ahem, gentlemen over at the World's Least Relevant Travel Website (starts with "Wiki," ends with "-oyage") due to your username. They don't like anything that starts with IB over there, because of massive sour grapes about their copycat site getting exactly zero visitors outside of their 40 admins. We've been here 9 years, they've been around for... 9 days or so. Give them 9 years, they may get a couple thousand people to visit them over the course of a month (we get 250,000 a day here). "Peter" is a particular offender -- he was de-sysopped over here for abusing his admin privileges and acting up without community/policy consent in much the same way that he's doing over there. The other admins are afraid of him, but even if their wiki sticks around for a while, I don't expect he'll last long as an admin under the Wikimedia Foundation; they tend to take megalomania pretty seriously over yonder ;)
- 2. Good luck with your article -- what's it about?
- 3. Here at the World's Premier Travel Wiki, Wikitravel, we're run by a company called Internet Brands that operates hundreds of community-driven sites like this one. All our internal accounts start with "IB" so people can tell who we are. I'm sorry but I'll have to ask you to choose a username that doesn't start with "IB". It can be virtually anything else. Just let me know what you'd like to change it to & I'll take care of it for you.
- 4. Please, plunge forward and begin doing some travel writing/editing here. It's an amazing site!
- 5. Welcome!
--IBobi 22:37, 5 December 2012 (EST)
- Your username has been changed to Iamdick.--IBobi 13:23, 7 December 2012 (EST)
- Thanks, perfect without using the dreaded ib. Iamdick 16:17, 7 December 2012 (EST)
- Haha anytime.--IBobi 17:38, 7 December 2012 (EST)
I kept trying to post the following message on User:IBAlex's talk page but got an error saying there was an edit conflict when there had been no edits in hours. are you guys trying to prevent me from posting or something? 22.214.171.124 08:37, 10 December 2012 (EST)
That new booking system at the top of the page is terrible! It causes my browser's virus-detector to go crazy and seriously slows down my computer. I've blacklisted this site and am never using t again! I don't know what happened here but viruses are a big no-no! 126.96.36.199 08:37, 10 December 2012 (EST)
- Hmm, not getting any other reports of warnings, and our tech department has checked and the booking tool and site are clean. Must be a browser issue on your end. Try logging on with a different browser, clear you cache and cookies, etc. As to the edit conflict, no idea -- clearing your browser cache might have helped if you had cached a version of the page you were editing during a time when another user was doing the same. Let us know if you continue to have problems.--IBobi 13:33, 10 December 2012 (EST)
- I am sorry to hear you experienced problems contacting me. I do not know why you were unable to do so, for sure we did not try to prevent anybody from posting on my wall. If this happens again, please leave a message on Travellers' Pub and i'll get back to you. Best, IBAlex 14:39, 10 December 2012 (EST)
- Phantom "edit conflicts" are usually a result of tripping the Wikitravel:Local spam blacklist. LtPowers 19:44, 10 December 2012 (EST)
- LtPowers seems to be exactly right. I did a check so that this issue can be rectified and found that it was the spam filter. See . Considering that the last edit by IBAlex was voicing her intention to add it to the blacklist, it was the last possible edit before normal users would be locked out, therefore preventing any sort of contact (Sounds like a pretty ideal situation for IB). IBAlex should have realised her silly mistake of leaving a blacklisted link on a page, effectively locking it. Or else there needs to be some smarter technology that doesn't banish users from editing when it wasn't their fault! 188.8.131.52 03:51, 11 December 2012 (EST)
- The blacklisted links was taken off from my user page. Please free to contact me anytime. And just in opposite, ideal situation for IB is when the community is active, asks many questions and anytime there is a problem, lets us know. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Cheers! IBAlex 13:00, 11 December 2012 (EST)
Greeting from Semporna Blue Reef Dive & Tours.
I already become one of wikitravel members.
I would like to be listed up at (East Malaysia > Sabah > Semporna)
But, how many times I already add listing but the problem is my company is still not listing at
that page (DO)
Please check my page, if it is okay or maybe I have to edit something.
Please do advice...
—The preceding comment was added by Semporna Blue Reef (talk • contribs)
- Hello Semporna Blue Reef Dive & Tours,
- thank you for your message. Please know that Wikitravel welcomes business owners and appreciates all contributions that meet our policies and guidance. I edited your listing and right now is properly formatted. Please have a look at Semporna page. Below is the explanation why your previous edits were deleted:
- : ALL-CAPS, first person pronouns ("No worries, we also can arrange it for you...), Touting (" WE HAVE A BIG PROMOTIONS FOR THE LOWEST PRICES" )
- : first person pronouns ("We arrange accommodation,land tours")
- : using superlatives (" the newest")
- I hope that right now you understand why your posts were deleted. Please be familiar with [[Wikitravel:Don't tout| policies about touting]. This is very important.
- All the best! IBAlex 13:02, 21 December 2012 (EST)
Please delete or blank my userpage
Hi, I am no longer associated with Wikitravel. Could you delete my user talk page please? Or put my note where I can be reached back in there? Yes you can. Please do. Cheers! --Rogerhc 15:12, 24 January 2013 (EST)
- Hi Roger, Discussion pages are not normally blanked on Wikis, because they contain the contributions of many users. You have already left a note that you've left the site, on your User Page. Please note that this is general, good Wiki practice, and that you've been treated reasonably and civilly here; more than I can say for how WTers are treated at the other site you edit. Best of luck to you, --IBobi 15:17, 24 January 2013 (EST)
Display bug in Wikitravel Mobile Version
Hallo, I want to report a bug I found in the Wikitravel view mobile version. Sorry I know very little English, please check to see photos.--Kentagon 11:35, 25 January 2013 (EST)
１） In the edit screen of the log, a record of non-loggin user (IP Address) is not displayed.
Mobile Wikitravel(ja), this is NG
PC mode wikitravel(ja), this is OK
２） Using the Definition tag (Wiki sentence [;] or [:]) , Can not be on a new line.
Mobile Wikitravel(ja), this is NG
PC mode wikitravel(ja), this is OK
(Postscript) Display environment is...
- Device - Galaxy S3 (SC-06D)
- OS - Android 4.0.4
- Browser - Boat Browser(User Agent is "Android"), System Browser
- Kentagon, thank you very much for reporting this problem. We will have a closer look at this issue. Warm regards, IBAlex 11:38, 25 January 2013 (EST)
I cannot see my contribution!?
a couple of hours ago I added a listing in the section of Athens, Greece, Do (http://wikitravel.org/en/Athens#Do).
Although in the beginning I could view it, it seems as if it has been deleted somehow.
Is that possible?
Or does it take some time until a listing is appeared due to approval by you?
- Hi! Thanks for reaching out to us! I answered your question here. Cheers! IBAlex 15:16, 7 March 2013 (EST)
Thanks for the encouragement, it's my pleasure to help improve the travel guide of my beautiful city! IBAlex has been very welcoming as well! I'll do my best to keep improving the Barcelona page. :) BarcelonaExpert 10:30, 13 March 2013 (EDT)
You may wish to correct the syntax of the Babel template you are using from:
(which denotes that you speak two languages but can't be bothered to list the second one other than English)
(which should get rid of the ugly raw code by making clear that only one language box follows and that you are a native speaker of English) --118dot93dot73dot30 16:15, 24 March 2013 (EDT)