Here are archived discussions on my Talk Page.
Uploading a picture in the quickbar
Hello. I assume it should be simple - what should i do in order to make this picture in the quickbar of this article visible? By now, i imagine it should be displayed automatically. --Local (talk) 14:28, 24 November 2014 (EST)
- Hello, Local! I believe IBAlex is on a vacation this week, so I thought I'd jump in. Everything you did was correct except the filename you pasted had the underscores "_" between each word. I think this is what caused it to display incorrectly. Check out your image and quickbar edit now! IBcaldera (talk) 14:50, 24 November 2014 (EST)
- Actually it should still display even without the underscores. The reason I changed the file name was to force a flush of the server's cache so that Local could see the image displayed.
- I believe that CheeseCrisps is using the same kind of tricks to solve the same kind of irritation... --Ttcf (talk) 14:57, 24 November 2014 (EST)
- Ttcf you're a genius! I was somewhat unsure about the underscores too, hence "I think this is what caused.." but guess I was wrong! Thanks for the heads up =) IBcaldera (talk) 15:04, 24 November 2014 (EST)
- Aha, it's OK now, thanks. And thanks for correcting those other inaccuracies. --Local (talk) 15:14, 24 November 2014 (EST)
- My pleasure - I could fix some other things but now a lot of the templates have been locked down so only someone with admin rights can edit them. Koavf has fixed some of them for me but I can't be e-mailing him all the time... --Ttcf (talk) 16:49, 24 November 2014 (EST)
- As for "other things" i'd be glad if anyone who is fluent in English could edit this article, i mean language, especially the parts written by me :).
- As for the picture... to be honest that picture was uploaded by me a year ago. And today i have noticed that it has gone. There was a warning "stop uploading...blah-blah-blah". I was 100% sure that i have uploaded it to WT Shared and then to LT article. But after a careful inspection, indeed, i didn't find it among other pictures. So i uploaded it again with the same name, but it didn't display. So you fixed everything, that's good. I'm guessing how could i upload it previously if i didn't upload it to WT shared first? How could i link it? Now i checked my uploads at WT Shared and was a bit shocked - it have gone again :). I assume, it is among IBcaldera's uploads now. Then what happened with the first upload, i think i even "technically" could not upload it to the article not linking the picture to some source, especially because i know the rules. So, it's not relevant now, but i won't sleep still guessing what's happened to the first image :) --Local (talk) 17:25, 24 November 2014 (EST)
Please do not edit lake toba get in,because this information about transport very important to traveller who comes to lake toba,especially our country indonesia,please help our area about information for their trip,because to lake toba hard to find information about transport.thank you —The preceding comment was added by 220.127.116.11 (talk • contribs)
- Hello! Thank you for your message! Please be advised that we value a lot all the edits that help the traveler, however we have also very strict rules when it comes to touty edits that only aim to use Wikitravel as advertising platform. Please be so kind and read our Don't tout and External links policies. Thanks! IBAlex (talk) 15:44, 11 December 2014 (EST)
ja: Administrator Nomination
Hi, this is Shoestring of ja:. We held an Administrator Nomination from this November to December, and decided to welcome Aiko99ann as new admin.
So could you give him/her an admin status for ja: and shared, please?--Shoestring (talk)
- Hi Shoestring! Thank you for your message! I'm very happy to hear that we have a new admin on ja: Wikitravel! I saw edits from user Aiko99ann on Wikitravel Shared and I'm also supporting his nomination! I just granted him admin rights on ja: WT and Shared. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 11:45, 13 December 2014 (EST)
- Thank you very much for your quick response. Warm regards, --Shoestring (talk) 04:04, 14 December 2014 (EST)
Copy from another wiki without attribution
Dear IBAlex, I thought more about what you wrote there:
- Most of the text you used in that article appears to have been copied from another wiki's article on Northern_Mongolia. I cannot give a link because policy here blocks it. If it is copied from there, that is a copyright violation; their license allows copying but only with attribution. Policy here does not allow any mention of that site, so you cannot attribute properly & therefore should delete it.
This means that they can copy what we do here (and they do copy it), but we cannot copy what they do. So I just stop "playing" here. Wikitravel administration should think more, and then can let me know. Yours sincerely. --Fiable.biz (talk) 08:15, 23 December 2014 (EST)
huge number of articles imported to other wiki travel guide website
Hello Alex, I've already wrote the message below on your Japanese user talk page, and copy those sentences here.
Yesterday I noticed there are many copied articles of Japanese WT on the other wiki travel-guide website. (I cannot write the name and URL of that website because WT system rejects the uploading, but you may understand which website is this.)
Someone has imported more than 6000 articles to that website during only 8 days (from Jan 1st to 8th). This user's name is "Tmwets", and another user ("dcljr") has already adviced them not to do such importing from Japanese WT.
I'm worried this is serious infringement of copyright, and I deplore such imitation articles existing still now. （talk） 22:02, 13 Jan. 2015 (JST)
- Hello Aiko99ann! Thank you very much for this alarming message! Unfortunately, WV has a bad reputation for copying our articles and not even attributing them properly. Are those users- Tmwets and Dcljr- also registered on JA WT? I couldn't find them. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 08:42, 18 January 2015 (EST)
Hello. Don't want to be intrusive, but why and how pictures (properly uploaded by me to Shared Wikitravel) disappear? Today uploaded 3 pictures to this directory, then uploaded all three to this article, and now one of them is gone from both Shared and the article. The picture was CC-BY-3.0 from Wikimedia Commons, this one. Not for the first time. Now what, to upload again, like i did with a previous picture in the quickbar? I mean, is it normal, or is it not normal and something should be done differently, or something? --Local (talk) 15:12, 14 January 2015 (EST)
- Hi Local! Thank you for reporting the problem! It's definitely something that we should look into. Let me first fully understand the problem- are you sure that the picture you added to Category:Daugavpils (city) was this one?, and not the one that was named [[File:Model of Dinaburg Castle in Daugavpils, Latvia.jpg]]? The only instance for "disappearing" pictures that I've heard of is when we use Media Wiki pictures in WT articles and then when somebody deletes them from Media Wiki, the picture renders and error on WT or disappears. Is that a case? Looking forward to hearing from you. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 08:50, 18 January 2015 (EST)
- The original picture was this one, yes; its name on Wikimedia Commons didn't change, nor its location (it took less than 24 hours between i did upload and it has gone). I downloaded it to my computer, renamed to "Model of Dinaburg Castle in Daugavpils, Latvia.jpg" and then uploaded to WT Shared with this (new) name. It was not directly linked to the source (it was a case some 2 years ago when i was relying on Image_policy#Using_Wikimedia_images which states that images may be linked directly to commons and should be not re-uploaded to Wikitravel - i linked them directly with their original names, but after some 3 months similar thing happened anyway). So now my all images on WT Shared have different names than the source images. Those 2 others on Daugavpils article too. And all from Flickr too.
- I uploaded all 3 images to the same directory, that's for sure because at first i typed the wrong name of the directory ("Daugavpils" instead of "Daugavpils (city)"), so when i noticed that it reads in red i renamed it (and this still can be seen, eg here).
- It's not a case exclusively with Wikimedia Commons, the image in a quickbar (my previous "complaint" in here, on November) was and is from Flickr, i originally uploaded it some ~1 year ago, and everything was OK until it suddenly disappeared, both from the article and from directory on WT Shared (and from my list of my uploads too). I then uploaded it again from my computer, but since it didn't appear on the article automatically i asked for help here. So it's solved now, IBcaldera edited its name and because of that it has disappeared from my list of uploads, but it still is present in the WT Shared directory. So this was same case, just it is solved now.
- BTW, i found one picture among my uploads which source on Wikimedia Commons was changed: the "link of source" was broken as if the original picture disappeard, so I found its new source (still in Wikimedia Commons but in other directory and with different name), edited the data on WT Shared accordingly and now it's completely correct. But it didn't disapper from WT Shared. I decided to check it myself for some reason, there were no any indications that the link of the source provided on WT Shared didn't match the actual link on Wikimedia Commons. Any questions? :D . I actually was thinking that this is a usual behaviour of Wikitravel admins, i.e. this is what happens when the users violate the "Image policy" :) . But you previously explained me that it was not done by admins, and secondly - i now do not violate any policy :) . So i'm very curious why and how it happens :) --Local (talk) 03:28, 19 January 2015 (EST)
Update the Euro template
someone should update the Template:Euro, so that it includes Lithuania, the newly joined Euro member country. I can't do it, not enough rights. THX.
- Thanks for the messag and staying up to date! Our admin, IBCcaldera, helped us over here! Cheers! IBAlex (talk) 08:58, 18 January 2015 (EST)
Adding a travel guide and map app for Marrakech
I saw you edited out my entry for the free app for Marrakech because it contained external links. The reason I put it was because I thought it was a primary link - is that not the case? If not, let me know whether I should just tell people the name and they google it. I also see that you edited out my whole entry - is there any reason why the whole entry and not just the link? Thanks for helping since it is my first entry here.
- Hi! Thank you for your message! In general, we should only accept links to official tourist boards, their websites or apps. Otherwise, any commercial tourist app could be listed on Wikitravel which would be considered touting. Warm regards, IBAlex (talk) 15:06, 4 February 2015 (EST)
- Ok...my bad as well because I didn't see that the app was from one company of riads :). Anyhow it's a good app though, so is it possible to just write the name and say it is in the App Store? haho16 (talk)
- Thanks for your reply! Yes, you can mention the name and describe shortly the app why would be useful to the traveler:) Thanks! IBAlex (talk) 16:16, 6 February 2015 (EST)
Hi, thank you for the welcome message. I'm wondering if you can help me with my account on Japanese Wikitravel. I remember signing up there under the same name "Whym", but I apparently cannot log in, and have kept editing without logging in. It's getting a bit inconvenient as I become editing more frequently there. Because I didn't make email confirmation, I have no way to reset the password. Is there any way I can claim the Japanese Wikitravel account? Perhaps can you rename the account to make way for me to create it again? FWIW, the account has 0 edit counts (I just created it but never come back until recently), so there should be no harm. --Whym (talk) 01:38, 11 February 2015 (EST)