Hello, Edmontonenthusiast! Welcome to Wikitravel.
To help get you started contributing, we've created a tips for new contributors page, full of helpful links about policies and guidelines and style, as well as some important information on copyleft and basic stuff like how to edit a page. If you need help, check out Wikitravel:Help, or post a message in the travellers' pub. Thank you for your enthusiastic work on Edmonton, and on Vancouver, Calgary and some other pages where I've seen your work. I admire your enthusiasm! JimDeLaHunt 02:50, 22 October 2008 (EDT)
I saw you added some districts to Calgary#Understand. Please see the discussion in Talk:Calgary#Districts and Huge City?. I've removed that "Districts" section until there's a consensus on Talk. Please join the discussion there! Thank you, JimDeLaHunt 02:50, 22 October 2008 (EDT)
Thank you to Jim for being so helpful! I like how you called me 'enthusiastic' heh! You are so helpful!
Edmontonenthusiast 19:11, 22 October 2008 (EDT)Edmontonenthusiast
Just a hint, you really really shouldn't be using capital letters as much as you do, it's the internet equivalent of shouting at someone (and not just like a HEY for catching the attention of someone), and most people (including me) find it to be rude. No, I'm not offended or anything, I'm pretty easy going :) But it's certainly not going to help you around here. Sertmann 21:38, 22 October 2008 (EDT)
- Oh I am so sorry, I already knew about that, but did not think it pertained to here. Thankyou, I won't do it again (Unless Necessary!).
Edmontonenthusiast 22:02, 22 October 2008 (EDT)Edmonton Enthusiast
Just a suggestion... your signature seems to be a bit goofy, it's adding your username twice... perhaps in your preferences you accidentally added your username again into one of the boxes? If you blank them, your signature will appear more normal, like this: Edmontonenthusiast 19:06, 22 October 2008 (EDT)
Or, you can also add in something under "real name" in your prefs, so if you put Edmonton Enthusiast it will come out as: Edmonton Enthusiast 19:06, 22 October 2008 (EDT)
Again, just a suggestion :) – cacahuate talk 21:09, 23 October 2008 (EDT)
- Sorry, I don't get it...It may be because I am trying to relax, do a TON of WikiT stuff and do some Spanish homework...please try in simpler terms...also I'm new... Edmontonenthusiast 21:13, 23 October 2008 (EDT)Edmontonenthusiast
Nooo worries. Take a look at you signature, after your last comment. See how it starts out with your username (which is linked to your user page), then the time and date, and then, the strange part, it shows Edmontonenthusiast again, right after (EDT). See what I mean? Go to Special:Preferences, are "Real name" and "Nickname" blank? – cacahuate talk 22:02, 23 October 2008 (EDT)
- Yes, they're blank... Edmontonenthusiast 22:07, 23 October 2008 (EDT)Edmontonenthusiast
- Ok then, next question... When you sign your name on talk pages, are you typing anything other than 4 tildes (~~~~) ? You don't need to type your name or anything, just that, and it will do the rest – cacahuate talk 22:08, 23 October 2008 (EDT)
- Oh I did my name too....next¿ Edmontonenthusiast 22:13, 23 October 2008 (EDT)
- Aha! Well, the last one is perfect :) If you ever want to change it, you can add something in the "Real name" box in Special:Preferences – cacahuate talk 22:17, 23 October 2008 (EDT)
- Thanks! Can you look over Edmonton/Central and tell me if I am doign a good jon¿? Edmontonenthusiast 22:20, 23 October 2008 (EDT)
Ok, I think i got you started now, so I'm gonna take a step back and let you work your magic. You can still ask of course, just don't expect me to respond on the hour to your questions in the future, it may even take a day or something - I have huge piles of work awaiting, doing my own articles and janitorial work, and I pretty much spend the whole evening getting you set - good luck with your writing :) and i look forward to seeing some completed districts, good to have another enthusiastic user around. Sertmann 21:23, 23 October 2008 (EDT)
- Oh thank you so much for using up some of your time. Did you see my nomination? Sorry for asking so much. Do stop by and look at my work, and comment in the discussion if you like :). Edmontonenthusiast 21:26, 23 October 2008 (EDT)Edmontonenthusiast
Hi there. To answer your question, I deleted the work section from the Edmonton article because the purpose of the section is to inform travellers of opportunities to make money while travelling, not to tell what kind of work is available for someone who might move there. The description in the article template says:
- What possibilities are there for travellers to earn money in this city? Note that this is kind of long-range and probably won't be appropriate for most destinations.
Since you pointed it out, I deleted part of the Work section in the Calgary article too. Notice that what I left though are a few thing a travellers could do.
By the way, I do appreciate your enthusiasm and all the hard work you are doing. I hope you don't get too frustrated with those of us editing your work. We are just trying to make it more consistent with the Wikitravel ideal. Keep up the good work. Texugo 03:53, 25 October 2008 (EDT)
- Thanks, Texugo, you are helping, but, can you check the Travellers pub, I think there is something about you, if not I think you could help! Its at the bottom, or near it (depending on when you look @ it it may not be at the bottom)! Thansk, Edmontonenthusiast 12:25, 25 October 2008 (EDT)
I added some more to it. --184.108.40.206 00:23, 26 October 2008 (EDT)
- Oh thats really good, I'm glad to see you editing so much, it makes me feel good! :) Maybe you should get an account, maybe? It's good seeing you edit such a neat little town! I really like Prospect New Town, hehe! Edmontonenthusiast 00:32, 26 October 2008 (EDT)
Edmonton map and other general comments
Hey Edmonton, doing an overview map of Edmonton that shows its districts and major roads isn't a problem. But two things first -- 1. You need to define the boundaries of each district first and give me an idea of what the major roads are, and 2. It takes time! Probably about 2-3 weeks, possibly more since I'm very busy with work right now. I'll probably release a first cut without streets just to get something up and add the roads and transit later.
I just did a bit of work on Edmonton/Central and I'll try to drop by a couple of times a week to help out. You've made a great start on the district articles and your writing style is pretty good. A couple of things I noted are:
- the boundaries of each district should be defined somewhere at or near the start of the article so anyone reading the article will know where the district is in relation to the rest of the city
- consistency with the Manual of style (or MoS) -- it's not such a big deal when an article is starting out, but as it progresses it's important that listings are consistent and complete (e.g., address, phone #, website, hours, admission cost). Obviously, not all listings will have this info, but if there's a website, it's good to get as much of the contact/admission info as possible. I formatted some of the Edmonton/Central#See listings as an example.
- watch the length on some of restaurant/drink listings -- they shouldn't be more than a few lines
Anyway, keep up the effort. Edmonton looks a lot better already, but it's a huge project and will take some time. Shaund 20:25, 27 October 2008 (EDT)
- (I am putting this in my talk page, as well) OH THANK YOU SHAUND...YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HAPPY YOU'VE MADE ME SERIOUSLY! OH THANK GOD! LOL...anyways I know you won't put roads in first but you need to put in the river and the city boundaries! OK? Thanks agaiN! I don't mind that it takes a few weeks, it's just a load off because I know I'd suck and I'm busy with the "written" part ;), plus other stuff I like to do (going out, Playing SimCity, hanging out with the people I love :)) this is just such a load off! Oh thank you Shaund! And I will add the districts borders to the main page and the districts, but how would you go about describing if say it is "bound by the north by one road, but then its northern side goes in a southwest direction on another road, then a east-west road again, just further south, etc."?¿ Thank you so much for the advice as well, I am working hard to get all of them USEABLE...then I will do the main article to fit the districts, then I'll be more specific to the manual of style and try and make 'em guides! Thank you for your edits as well, any edits are ALWAYS APPRECIATED. Once you answer my question about district borders, I'll set the borders up :)! Or what I could do is take a map from Open Street and just use that (because the major roads, which are borders are shown) and show you that, then you can make a good one (the OpenStreet one wouldn't really be good for this anyways ;)! Thanks so much Shaund. Just let me know when you are starting, how your progressing (if you want you can upload the incomplete image to show me ... ) and if you have any questions ;)! Thank you so much, by the way,Vancouver rocks! haha. It does, I'm serious, my third favourite city (Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver...). Heh, anywauy,s thanks! Also, are you learning any about Edmonton via these articles, if so, what in particular? Keep smiling, Edmontonenthusiast 20:49, 27 October 2008 (EDT)