User talk:Cacahuate/2009< User talk:Cacahuate
Chinese regional mapEdit
How did you generate the China regional map? I'm curious if you'd be willing to redraw it to accord with more traditional geographic administrative regions like those found on Wikipedia. It would result in more standardization and broader adoption.
Right now, the Wikipedia and WikiTravel regions diverge slightly. It would be pretty simple to make a few changes and hew to the Wikipedia standard.
- I´ll look into it more when i´m back home in a few weeks and see if Wikipedia´s version makes more sense. For the record though, what works for them and for us is often very different, we care mostly about digestible regions from a travelers perspective, rather than historical, political, etc... though in a perfect world those would be the same thing :) But to answer your question, the regions were already pretty set when i decided to draw the map, i just painted a picture of what already existed in our guides – cacahuate talk 17:51, 25 December 2008 (EST)
Hi - thanks for the note. Would be great to meet up, if we do cross paths, though I'm not sure we will in the near term. I'm staying at Lago Atitlan in Guatemala for maybe a few weeks, then I have ideas of visiting Mexico - San Cristobal and/or Oaxaca. I'm stretching my $ as far as possible, so if you have any tips on staying for free in exchange for a few hours work, that would be cool. (I'm registered with helpx.net, which has been useful.)
Otherwise, it's possible I'll get to LA sometime in the first half of 2009.
I can't get email notifications of talk page messages, it seems? So... you can always catch me here: chriswaterguy with the domain name appropedia dot org. --chriswaterguy 17:46, 1 January 2009 (EST)
Don't remove comments from my talk pageEdit
Cacahuate, this is completely unacceptable. As an administrator, if someone wants to talk to me, I want to hear what he/she has to say. Please do not revert other users' comments on my talk page, short of blatant vandalism. If you have questions about my preference, please let me know. LtPowers 14:33, 7 January 2009 (EST)
- I apologize if my wording was harsh; I was stunned to see someone's legitimate comments had been removed from my talk page and may have posted before gathering my thoughts completely. Regardless, though, it is my belief that free and open communication is paramount to the success of any wiki, and as an administrator, my responsibility to hear other users out is that much higher. I don't care if it's Peterfitzgerald, Edmontonenthusiast, or one of our most persistent vandals: if someone has something to say to me, in good faith, I want to see it. The only thing I believe I am enabling by this policy is free and open communication. Thanks for understanding. LtPowers 16:13, 8 January 2009 (EST)
- Unfortunately said difficult user has a keen interest in just that, which is what I was referring to above. I don't believe them to be "legitimate comments", I think it's disruptive editing, which is why I removed it, but will certainly honor your preference in the future :) – cacahuate talk 22:14, 8 January 2009 (EST)
User page deletion requestEdit
I've deleted my blog tobiasmaasland.wordpress.com and - which I didn't knew - with it my OpenID. Unfortunately I never entered an e-Mail - Adress to my Account, meaning I can't send me a new password. So there is my account - still there - but I have no way of accessing it.
Can you enter my email adress "tobias maasland ---at--- web pt de" to the profile, please? (Tactics against crawlers: no space between my name, and pt means point.) Thanks.
- Tried my old OpenID with the password (says User not found) and my nickname (says Password wrong). So maybe you could change my password and send me an e-Mail with it? 18.104.22.168 11:12, 15 February 2009 (EST)
- I poked around at Wikipedia, it says over there that if you didn't enter an email when signing up, and lose your password, then you have to just start a new account. Only other thing I can think of is maybe trying to recreate your wordpress blog again, if you really want to log into that same account – cacahuate talk 19:34, 15 February 2009 (EST)
- Thanks for poking. I tried to recreate the blog, but that is not possible. Well, now I am back here. Thanks again for helping me out. Weirdnose 21:12, 15 February 2009 (EST)
Stay safe PakistanEdit
Hi, I have seen that you adjusted the stay safe section and liked your pragmatic approach. Could you help me get User Sal a bit relaxed? Thanks, jan 04:02, 5 March 2009 (EST)
- I have seen that you deleted the corruption section. Are you aware that the Pakistani president is nic name Mr. 10% and even in my home country was convicted on money laundering and corruption? And Switzerland is very lax on that issues...jan 05:16, 5 March 2009 (EST)
- Yes, I'm aware, but it's not really all that relevant to the traveler, and at the moment it was just a broad statement that "pakistan is corrupt", which isn't really helpful :) All that affects the traveler is a bit of price gouging here and there, as is common throughout the greater region, and actually it's even less of a problem in Pakistan than neighboring India and Afghanistan – cacahuate talk 11:26, 5 March 2009 (EST)
Of course I'd be happy to provide a link! I borrowed it from our friends at Wikipedia; the page includes all the info, including the CCBYSA 2.5 licensing info: . I promise I wasn't just making it up! -Naryathegreat 12:43, 21 March 2009 (EDT)
Hey Cacahuate, I just made the Chinese top-tier regions our newest sub-project for the regions maps expedition, but then realized that we don't have the SVG for shared:Image:Map of China.png. Would you mind uploading that? (And of course I'd be thrilled if you'd upload the rest of your continental section svgs, so I could translate them into Russian.) --Peter Talk 21:50, 21 March 2009 (EDT)
Oh I see. Thanks.
Perfectly Fine MapEdit
The first map you referred me to is updated and looks good enough but mine's got the details. I'll get the info you want and repost the map.Paula 04:12, 18 May 2009 (EDT)
- i posted the letter and the map up on wikitravel shared. it's in the "gallery of new images." the filename is map_of_korea.jpg and the letter of permisson is under letter_of_permission.gif. So, now what?Paula 05:03, 18 May 2009 (EDT)
Hi Cacahuate, I applied for bot flags at shared. I would appreciate it if you support me in bot flags of shared and the remaining 9 language versions. Can you take a look at shared:Script nominations#Tatatabot? Thanks. -- Tatata 06:49, 19 May 2009 (EDT)
Hi caca, I was wondering if you'd be able to help me. See I'm trying to edit User:Shaund's Edmonton district map in Inkscape, but whenever I try and change something, it won't let me. Keep in mind I am kind of new to Inkscape, so I don't know all the buttons and whistles. He didn't upload an SVG of his last update to it, so I'm using the SVG from the one previous, which is fine. Could you help me figure out how to be able to change things? I know it must be a stupid question. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 18:29, 24 May 2009 (EDT).
- Hey, it's because some editors lock all the layers except the one they are currently working on, to avoid mistakes. Once you have the svg open, go into the "layers" menu, then click on "layers" (at the bottom). A layers window should pop up on your right.... next to each one you'll see an "eye", which you can open and close to see a layer... and a lock, which you can use to lock and unlock layers individually. Unlock the ones you want to edit. Also, you may want to open up the old and the new versions of Shaunds map in separate tabs, if you click back and forth you'll see the changes made in the last round, maybe some are worth keeping? Or you could just ask Shaund to upload the more recent svg. Good luck – cacahuate talk 01:17, 25 May 2009 (EDT)
- I actually went ahead and made some of the changes you were talking about on Talk:Edmonton, if you want to play around more with it and want to keep my changes, make sure to download the new svg that I just uploaded – cacahuate talk 02:47, 25 May 2009 (EDT)
- You want to select the gray background before you click export, and do "export selection". Then it will only import what's within that selected area. Also the numbers for the freeway icons seem to missing now, you might want to restore those ;) – cacahuate talk 17:17, 25 May 2009 (EDT)
- Or you can just open the PNG in Photoshop or Paint or something and crop out the parts you don't want. =) LtPowers 17:17, 25 May 2009 (EDT)
- Are you using the latest version of Inkscape? It seems like some of fonts / font sizes shifted as well in the last update, either you did this manually or you are using an older version which sometimes causes discrepancies.... notice how the freeway #'s are larger now? Also the region names are dark grey, except for "south central", which is black.... might want to match that up again :) – cacahuate talk 17:22, 25 May 2009 (EDT)
- Seems to work now : )! Thanks Lt and Caca! edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 17:29, 25 May 2009 (EDT).
- Yeah, I'll go back and try to fix that. edmontonenthusiast [ee] .T.A.L.K. 17:30, 25 May 2009 (EDT).
- Make sure they are the correct font, and then if necessary, shrink the size to fit within the emblems the way they used to. Also, if you want to get rid of the LRT for now, just hide that layer, but don't delete it... that way it will be easier for someone to update it in the future, it is nice to have – cacahuate talk 17:49, 25 May 2009 (EDT)
Nominations for bureaucratEdit
Hi Cacahuate, I nominated myself for bureaucrat of Esperanto version and Chinese version. I would appreciate it if you support me in the nominations. Can you take a look at shared:Wikitravel Shared:Administrator nominations? Thank you. -- Tatata 23:21, 27 May 2009 (EDT)
Hi cacahuate, maybe it's the first time that I look into the inside of MediaWiki. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything that allowed us without IB's help to remove "none selected" from the licenses, and to have it default to ccbysa 1.0.
If we file a tech request, I prefer disabling "Upload file" button until a license selected to setting a default license. I have two reason for this;
- To keep our image repository clean from a licensing point of view, I feel that the former is a little bit sounder than the latter.
It is good to be back. I don't know why I stayed away for so long! Ravikiran 02:42, 5 June 2009 (EDT)
You've got mail. Jpatokal 22:34, 5 June 2009 (EDT)
Ain't easy beingEdit
See & do v. See and doEdit
Any chance I could persuade you to change your position? I figure it doesn't really matter either way, so we might as well pick one and close the discussion. I actually chose my opinion via coin toss ;) --Peter Talk 15:39, 1 August 2009 (EDT)
I can haz SVG?Edit
Hey, can you upload the SVGs for the India maps that you've created? — Ravikiran 06:27, 19 August 2009 (EDT)
- Of course, it will be a couple weeks though, I'm in Peru.... stay tuned – cacahuate talk 11:55, 26 December 2009 (EST)