American living in United States.
I am great at Geography, love the Linux philosophy, and think this is a wonderful site.
Loves, Hates and Wishes
Thanks to Peterfitzgerald and Globe-trotter for the (adapted) table lay-out.
|| This user is a native speaker of English.
|| Dieser Benutzer hat sehr gute Deutschkenntnisse.
|| Este usuario puede contribuir con un nivel básico de español.
Upcoming travel plans
I plan on updating the pages in Washington and Oregon a lot, because I know my local area best. I also am working on translating some pages into http://wikitravel.org/wiki/de for practice and service.
How I travel
I haven't seen this on other profiles, but this could be a very interesting experiment on what different users look for...
How I choose where I am going
Currently I am interested in going places I know people and have family. Short trips are done too...
What I bring
- Basic requirements (clothes, toiletries, ID, Money, Phrasebook)
- My iPod for those long waits, flights, drives, etc.
- Computer for inexpensive communication
What I look for in hotels
- The basic necessities everyone will agree on, bathroom, bed, cleanliness, etc.
- Some sort of breakfast
- Wi-Fi is important for blogging and writing home.
- Convenient location is important for wasted time.
Places I look for
- Interesting Museums
- Nice restaurants, doesn't have to be expensive.
- Cultural icons
- Capital buildings, I find them to have a lot of good information.
What I buy at places I have already been to
Things that catch my eye mostly
- Books on the location and culture
- A shirt with the name of the place
- Interesting things (artwork, music, good things that will last)
What I buy and bring home from foreign trips.
- A book on the country's history
- A small pennant of their national flag, a lapel pin with the flag, and a shirt with the name and flag.
- A little bit of the currency (no more than 20 USD)
- Souvenirs that have significance to me, books on an icon, a common piece of art, something that on their culture.