The real live Unawatuna lies inside of Route A2 Galle - Matara main road. Unawatuna is located just 5 km south of Galle. The original village where it all started, Yaddehimulla, you turn off the main road just before 123 km Post. The motor-able, tarred road, a kilometre in length, brings you to the best area of Unawatuna with all the guest houses, homestays, restaurants, hotels, internet cafes, tuk-tuk stands, boutique hotels etc.
Most of them are on the world wide web with their own websites. If you search on any major search engine with keywords like Unawatuna, Unawatuna homestays, etc. you will find a host of sites offering varied style of accommodation.
Unawatuna is 150 km from Colombo's Bandaranayaka International Airport in Katunayaka. The journey through busy Colombo roads take over 3 hours by private vehicles. Most hotels and guesthouses offer an airport pick-up service for a hassle-free quick get-away (6 to 7.000 rps).
Travelling from Colombo downtown to Galle and Unawatuna. Catch the Matara-train (with ocean-view) and jump off in Galle (takes almost three hours, 220 rps) and take either a tuk-tuk (250 rps) or local bus (15 rps) from Galle to Unawatuna. Recommended from Colombo downtown to Galle are aircon mini-buses that take three hours as well (215 rps).
Public transport from Bandaranayake International Airport to Colombo is available just outside the airport.
Easiest way to get around is by tuk-tuk. Day trips to Dutch Fortress in Galle, Martin Wickremasinghe Museum in Koggala, Hikkaduwa, Mirissa, Ahangama can be fun on a tuk-tuk. Deal with the driver, make sure there are NO hangers on, or you will be taken for a ride. They can be hired for the whole day, just the trip or to be dropped off some destination. Most of them can be contacted by mobile phone. Get an idea of their charges before hand.
Longer trips and round tours can be arranged with car or vans. Sunrise Tours near the Wella Devalaya got well maintained cars and vans.
Public transport trains and air-con buses are the cheapest mode of transport.
Jungle Beach, (4 km from Unawatuna). Small beach lost in the the jungle, a good place for snorkelling. Access by boat or by tuk-tuk from Unawatuna
- Turtle Hatchery, Matara Road, Habaraduwa (About 3 km south of Unawatuna). Day time. A hatchery run by individuals just off the Beach to conserve turtle eggs laid on the wide long beach stretching all the way to the hotels in Koggala. Hawksbill, loggerhead and green turtles nestle here. 300 rps.
- Yatagala Raja Maha Viharaya, Yatagala Unawatuna (Turn off at Eramudugaha junction), ☎ 091 2222199. Day&Night. Ancient Buddhist Temple built by Sri Lankan Royalty dating back to 2300 years when a sapling of the Sri Maha Bo Tree in Anuradapura was planted here during the reign of His Majesty Devanam Piyatissa. Donations accepted.
Sea Horse Divers, Address, ☎ +94 77-6277622 ([email protected]), . One of the diving centres on the Unawatuna beach, good instructors, possibility to dive for people without license with a discovery dive. 25€ per dive.
The coral reef allows to discover beautiful fishes and seashells. Snorkels and masks can be borrowed in guesthouses or diving centres.
Unawatuna bay is safe for swimmers. From the middle of the beach (Unawatuna Beach Resort area) it is safe to swim to the rock island, however climbing the rock island itself might be dangerous and is not recommended. It will take you one hour or more to go and come back. Giant but friendly sea turtles might pop up close to you.
Climb the pagoda at the West end of the beach and enjoy your time at the rocks. Especially sunrise and sunset offer stunning panoramas.
The streets and beach of Unawatuna offer dozens of places to buy jewellery, clothing, art and other souvenirs.
In Unawatuna most guest houses have their own restaurant business. All over the beach and inside Unawatuna town you will find places to eat delicious seafood, rice and curry, vegetarian menus, rotty, Italian food etc. Recommended:
- South Ceylon Restaurant. Paradise for vegans / vegetarians. Wonderful service, reasonably priced organic food. http://www.southceylonrestaurant.com
- Peacock restaurant. Comfortable place with affordable food and the best sea views.
- Unawatuna Beach Resort - for those who prefer extended buffets.
- Riddim, Matara Road, ☎ +94 9112242015 (+94 776959490, [email protected]). Restaurant and bar located at the east end of the beach. A bar for the fans of world and reggae music. Parties organized on Wednesday and Sundays.
- Kingfisher, beach party on Saturdays.
- Happy Banana, disco party on Fridays.
- Lucky Tuna, also located on the beach.
You will find a huge amount of nice guesthouses in Unawatuna. Guesthouses on the beach are usually the most expensive and they become cheaper if you move away from the beach.
- Ocean Hill, K.A. Arjuna, ☎ +94 912224827 ([email protected]). Cheap guest house located 100m from the beach. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is very good. There is no hot water. 1500 LKR (breakfast included).
- Sadhana Birdhouse, 212/A, Yaddehimulla Road (5 minutes along Yaddehimulla Road.), ☎ +94-912224953 ([email protected]). checkout: 12 Noon. The Bird House is a beautiful guest house set back from the Unawatuna beach offering a warm welcome from a friendly Sri Lankan family. Located 3 minutes walk from the beach. It is the perfect place to relax and un wind from every day life. The rooms are spacious and clean with an attached bath room, a balcony to sit and watch the world go by. $10-25.
- Surfcity Guesthouse, Unawatuna beach (close to Unawatuna beach resort), (www.surfcity1.net). checkout: 12 Noon. Cheap rates, clean, friendly staff. Three types of spacey rooms with beach-sight verandas, 1. basic double rooms, 2. double rooms with a.c. and hot water, 3. luxury suites. Breakfast, lunch and dinner available at extra cost. Free internet and wi-fi service.
Celltantao Resort, (One-minute walk from the beach), ☎ +94-149318974 ([email protected]), . Nice clean private rooms with attached bathrooms in a garden setting. Backpacker budget friendly(<US$10). Friendly and helpful owner.
STRAND HOMESTAY, 218, Yaddehimulla Road (800 Meters along Yaddehimulla Road.), ☎ +94-912224358 ([email protected]), . checkin: Any Hour; checkout: 12 Noon. Home-stay STRAND is not a traditional Hotel or a Guest house, nor a boutique villa. We offer you a stay in the ambiance of a traditional Ancestral Sinhalese Family home. $15-50.