Uliastai is the capital of Zavkhan province.
Uliastai is located at the border of the desert and the forest.
Aero Mongolia  makes 2 or 3 flights a week from Ulaanbaatar. The airport is about 25 kilometers outside the town; taxis are available.
- The nine white stupas, which were built for the nine famous Saints of Buddhism.
- The ruined Manchu fort, which was built in 1733.
- The city museum
- Buddhist temple
- Various historical places around the city.
- Local Musuem, Yavuukhulan street, in Uliastai (Renchinvanjil), ☎ 93064500.
- The Museums of Zavkhan Province, Yavuukhulan street, Uliastai city, Zavkhan province, ☎ 01462-22342, 93064500, 98200489. The aimag museum was established in 1924 in the city of Uliastai. Today, there are two museums: The Famous People Museum of Zavkhan, and The Zavkhan History Museum. The Zavkhan History Museum Consists of 6 Halls: -The Hall of Natural History -The Hall of Ethnography -The Hall of Cultural History -The Hall of Modern History -The Halls of Religious History (2) Museum Highlights: The unique historical and cultural monuments including a fossilized shin bone and baby teeth of a mammoth, petrified trees from 80 million years ago, the rare herb Vansemberuu, the Jadamba writ, a historical document of horse-stations from the Manchu period, a 300 liter bronze cauldron from 1820, a coral mask of the deity Jamsran, the Khalkh woman’s and man’s full clothes with r head silver decorations, Dilov saint B.Jamsranjav’s copper seal, and many famous people’s belongings. The Famous People Museum of Zavkhan Consists of 9 Halls: Ten Great Lamas of Zavkhan Province The State Prize Winner, Great Eastern Poet, Yavuukhulan B. The State Prize Winner, Film Producer, Vangan L. The First President of Mongolia, Mr. Ochirbat P. The Second President of Mongolia, Mr.Bagabandi Natsag Labor Hero of Mongolia, Mr..Otgonbileg Shagdar Colonel Zagdgochoo D. The International Olympic Committee’s Honored Member, Mr. Magvan Sh. Hero of Mongolia, General of the Army, Dorj B. We hope that you will visit our museum. Precious and non-repetitive cultural heritages are pleasing eyes and enriching the mind of visitors.
There are five hotels in Uliastai, with a nightly rate ranging from 6000-10000 tugrigs per person:
- Uran Baigali
Tents can also be set up on the banks of the two rivers which flow through the center of the town.