TullamoreCounty Offaly : Tullamore
Tullamore is the county town of County Offaly. It is in the centre of Ireland and has a population of 13,000. Its most famous export is Tullamore Dew, a whiskey which was first brewed in 1829 and is still enjoyed today. The Grand Canal runs through the centre of the town. It is also an important commercial and industrial centre in the region.
- Tullamore is 10 mins away from Exit 5 on the M6 motorway from Dublin or Galway
- Tullamore to Dublin (70mins)
- Tullamore to Galway (85mins)
Train station services  from Dublin and Galway/Westport 8 times daily. Train station is near enough to town centre but there are usually taxis waiting if you need them.
Travel in by boat on the Grand Canal coming from Dublin and it joins up with the River Shannon.
- Charleville Forest Castle, Charleville Road, Tullamore (on the edge of the town), ☎ 057 9323040, . Charleville Castle, one of Ireland's most splendid Gothic buildings, stands in this beautiful parkland which contains the King Oak, one of the biggest and oldest oak trees in the country. The castle is said to be haunted and was featured on series 1 of Living TV's Most Haunted. The oak woodland is beautiful – and botanically an important survivor of primeval stock. Once a year the park becomes a hub of bustling and happy humanity on the occasion of Tullamore Agricultural Show, one of the most important of its kind. However following the cancellation of the Agri show for two consecutive years due to unseasonal rainfall it has been decided to relocate the event to a new location with improved drainage in the Blueball area, south of the town. edit
- Lloyd Town Park, Cormac St. Is the town's main park with fountains and a large play area for kids. There is a bowls pitch for the auld ones and a skateboard park aswell. Good parking if you are going by car. edit
- Church of Assumption, Harbour St, . Hard to miss as it is the tallest building in town. If you go inside you can see the stained glass windows and giant wooden beams in the roof. edit
- Tullamore Dew Heritage Centre, Bury Quay, ☎ 057 9352617, . This centre shows the history of the Tullamore Dew Whiskey and how it was made. There are audiovisual tours in five different languages spanning over the two floors of the building. The tour tells visitors about the hot-air balloon crash that occured in Tullamore in 1785 which burnt down most of the town. There is a tea room which has home cooked food from local chefs and offers cakes for special occasions like birthdays and confirmation. The centre also hosts regular art exhibitions showcasing works from local artists. edit
- Omniplex, Bridge St (town centre, beside Bridge Centre), ☎ 1520 444 000, . All screens have high backed luxury stadium seating in all auditoria giving a perfect view from every seat. Shows all the new movies. edit
- Tullamore Agriculture Show, (outside town), . Ireland's biggest one-day agricultural show held in August every year. It is an agriculture show full of cows and pigs and farm machinery. There are also markets selling food and drink. It attracts huge numbers every year. In recent years, after being rained out twice in a row, it has moved from its former home in Charlevelle Estate to dryer lands in Blue Ball, a little further out of town. edit
- Tullamore Golf Club, R421. edit
- Fish. Go fishing on the Grand Canal. edit
- Bridge Centre, (town centre), . Go shopping here. Shops include Dunnes Stores, Vodafone, Holland and Barrett, music shops, clothes and shoe shops. edit
- Tullamore Retail Park, Church Road, . Loads of parking. Shops include Argos, Petmania, Heatons, Woodies DIY, DID Electrical and Cost plus sofas edit
- Tesco, Church Rd, Tullamore, . A large supermarket for groceries edit
- Dunnes Stores, Bridge Centre, Bridge Street and Church Street, Tullamore, ☎ 00 353 57 93 22770, . Mon - Wed 09:00 to 19:00 Thurs-Fri 09:00 to 21:00 Sat 09:00 to 19:00 Sun 09:00 to 18:00. Groceries edit
- Sirocco's Italian Restaurant, Patrick st Tullamore, ☎ 0579352839, . Italian restaurant with locally produced food. Food is cooked in an open kitchen so you can see the chefs cooking your meal. good athmosphere and family run. Around €20 for 3 course meals. edit
- Yaadgar Indian Restaurant, Esker Court William Street Tullamore, ☎ +353 (0) 57 932 9536, . Indian Food such as Chicken Curry, Chicken Korma, Chicken Tikka Masala, Lamb Roughan Josh, Beef Passanda and Mix Vegetable all served with Pilau Rice + Nan Bread edit
- Jamie's Restaurant, Harbour st Tullamore. edit
Pubs and CafésEdit
- Annie Kelly's, one of Tullamore's oldest pubs, is a must see. Known for its Ceoil, Craic agus Cainte. Pints of Guinness are legendary here.
- Hugh Lynch's*, a truly great pub in Tullamore. Lots going on super cocktails and the biggest Whiskey collection in the midlands. url="http://www.hughlynchs.com/"
- Chocolate Brown Coffee Bar, William st Tullamore, ☎ 057 9329950, . Tea and Coffee edit
- Supermac’s Family Restaurant, William St., Tullamore, ☎ 057-9351200, . edit
- Subway, Harbour St. For footlongs. edit
- Domino's Pizza, Unit E Main Street Tullamore, ☎ 00353 57 93 46000, . Mon-Thurs 16:00 to 00:00 Fri-Sun 12:00 to 00:00. For Pizza. Busy on a Friday night. edit
- Burger King, Tullamore Retail Park, . Fast Food Restaurant edit
- McDonalds, Church Road, Tullamore, ☎ 057 9324260, . Mon - Sun: 09:00 - 23:00. Free Wifi, Wheelchair Parking and Drive Thru edit
- Tullamore Court Hotel, Tullamore, Co.Offaly (On the N80 road into the town coming off the N52 bypass), ☎ 353 (0)57 934 6666, . Large hotel with a business conference centre. (53.271212,-7.49414) edit
- Bridge House Hotel, Distillery Lane, Tullamore, Co. Offaly (in the centre of town, across from O'Connor Square), ☎ +353 57 9325600, . This is a 4 star hotel located in the centre of town near the main shopping areas. around €70. (53.274812,-7.492783) edit
- Clonamore House Hotel, Arden Road, Tullamore (Exit for 'Ardan' on N52 coming from Kilbeggan or M6 motorway), ☎ 057 9323175 or 087 2619640, . Small hotel on outskirts of town (53.26275,-7.45088) edit
- Central Hotel Tullamore, Main Street, Tullamore, ☎ +353 (0) 57 936 0034, . Corporate style hotel near the centre of town from €55 upwards. edit
Bed & BreakfastEdit
- Barony House B&B, Meelaghans, Tullamore, Co Offaly, Ireland. (on the R420 Tullamore to Geashill road), ☎ +353 (0)57 93 51157, . a cheerful B&B located just outside the town around €40 per person per night. (53.26275,-7.45088) edit
- Tudor Lodge B&B, Arden Road, Tullamore, Co. Offaly (N52 road to Tullamore, turn towards 'Ardan' from the bypass), ☎ Landline:057 93 25913 MOBILE:086 105 1061 or 086 089 8497, . nice B&B in the town edit
- Oak Lodge B&B, Charleville Road, Tullamore, ☎ 057 93 51401 or 086 6861579, . A B&B located beside Charleville Castle €30 per person. edit
- Annaharvey Farm B&B, Portarlington Road. R420, ☎ +353 57-9343544, . Nice B&B situated in an equestrian centre. edit
- Brookville House, Rahan Road, Tullamore (beside canal), ☎ + 353 (57) 9321385, . checkin: 26 7 13; checkout: 28 7 13. B&B located beside the Grand Canal. Within walking distance of town centre. €35 single €75 double. edit
- Loughmore Lodge, Clonminch Road Tullamore (Go on N52 bypass. Take N80 exit into town.), ☎ +353 57 9320808 or +353 86 839 4359, . Nice, old style B&B edit
The Midlands Regional Hospital Tullamore is a large hospital with an emergency department if you get into bad health or something happens to you while travelling.
- In a medical emergency, dial 999 or 112. These numbers are free of charge from any telephone.
- The Lough Boora Parklands are 25 km away. These parklands have unique sculptures scattered around the bog. Walking trails allow visitors to see these sculptures up close. There is a birdwatching hut for wildlife enthusiasts and Boora Lake is home to many swans, geese and ducks.
- Birr Castle is 35km south of the town. Visitors can walk around the demesne and see the giant telescope tucked away in the forest.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!|