Tsitsikamm Forest along the N2.
Tsitsikamma Forest walkway at the Big Tree
Tsitsikamma is in the Cacadu District of the Eastern Cape of South Africa.
The Tsitsikamma forms part of the Cacadu District of the Eastern Cape and is branded as one of the Cacadu District's seven wonders due to its beauty. Tsitsikamma is a Khoi word meaning "place of abundant or sparkling water". The area is covered in large tracts of indigenous forest and Fynbos with deep river gorges that cleft the plateau as they make their way down to the sea, creating spectacular waterfalls and deep kloofs.
A must see is the Tsitsikamma National Park with its abundance of birds and wildlife, and the chance to watch whales and dolphins play along the rugged untouched coastline or explore the Khoisan rock art and enjoy many walking and hiking trails. From treetop canopy tours, white water tubing to experiencing a 7 second free fall from the world’s highest commercial bungee jump location, Tsitsikamma is an action packed destination for the adventurous. Alternatively, you could take a walk on the wild side in the indigenous Tsitsikamma forest - home to the giant Outeniqua Yellowwood - or simply relax and unwind in a completely serene wonderland of forest, mountain & sea.
There are two airports located in close proximity to Tsitsikamma. The closest is in George, 144km away while the Port Elizabeth airport is 182km from Tsitsikamma. There are regular flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and other South African airports to George and Port Elizabeth.
Tsitsikamma is easily accessible by motorways from Cape Town (579km), Bloemfontein (781km) and East London (460km). Of course, you can also drive from Johannesburg (1217km). The road conditions are fairly good if you are coming from any of these cities.
All major South African coach companies offer regular schedules to and from destinations like Tsitsikamma. It is also on the Baz Bus route.
- The Big Tree, (In the Tsitsikamma forest, just off the N2 between the Storms River Bridge and the Storms River Village turn-off. You will see the signboards). One truly massive old yellowwood tree. Another Big Tree is situated near the Khoi San Village at the Bloukrans Bungy site.
- Langkloof (Route 62) - Better known as the Fruit Route, the Langkloof fruit region is the second largest deciduous fruit-producing area in South Africa. This used to be the home ground of Bushmen and Gonagua Hottentots. Today the ‘Apple Express’ runs through the valley, linking all the fruit growing villages and towns.
- Joubertina. Established in 1907 on a section of farmland, it is home to the famous Kouga Mummy - the only mummy ever found in the southern hemisphere, and early Bushmen paintings. The first building in Joubertina, the Dutch Reformed Church was erected in 1911 and is still standing today. Other than historical significance, Joubertina also has over 30 mountain bike and hiking trails to choose from. The Kloof Hotel and the Hotel Tavern have great historical significance. Be sure to have a look at the display of over 1000 miniature car models at the Hotel Tavern.
- Kareedouw. This little town’s name is derived from the Khoe phrase meaning “path by the Karee trees”. It is situated 120 kilometres from Port Elizabeth, Kareedouw is the gateway to the Langkloof and is nestled between the Tsitsikamma and Suuranys Mountains. Look out for the high quality black-, yellow- and stinkwood furniture produced here, as well as the numerous interesting National Heritage Sites.
- Krakeel River. In Krakeel, almost all the houses are situated on the banks of the river which originates on the northern slopes of Formosa Peak (1675 meter high), the highest point of the Tsitsikamma Mountains. The Formosa Nature Reserve is situated between Haarlem and Krakeel River.
- Nature's Valley
- Storms River - Located just outside Tsitsikamma National Park, this area has become a hot spot for many tourists in South Africa. Activities include canopy tours, various exciting hiking trails and the Storms River Mouth Walks. The Tsitsikamma Petroport has a restaurant, curio shop, petrol station and take-away outlet. The Bloukrans Bridge is the world’s largest single span bridge and is also home to the world’s highest bungee jump location. For the less adventurous, there are curio shops, spectacular views to take in and the indigenous plant nursery in which to get lost.
- Tsitsikamma National Park - The heartland of Tsitsikamma National Park stretches some 5 kilometres to sea, protecting a wonderland of inter-tidal life, reef and deep-sea fish. Dolphins frolic in the breakers, surfing and playing while the gentle giant of the ocean, the Southern Right Whale, comes inshore to breed. Sightings of wildlife in the Park are not uncommon so be on the look out for African Black Oystercatchers, the Knysna Loerie, Cape Clawless Otters and the Blue Duiker.
Amidst the tranquility there is still room for adventure. Tsitsikamma offers everything from hiking trails to quad-biking, to 4x4 routes, canoeing, white water tubing, treetop canopy tours, bird watching and abseiling in the Kouga Mountains. Scenic helicopter flights from Storms River Bridge and a leap from the world’s highest commercial bungy jump are strongly recommended.
- Visit the Tsitsikamma National Park
- Bloukrans Bungee, ☎ +27 (0)42 2811-458, . Daily 8AM-5PM. Face your fears with a 7-second free fall from the 216 metres high Bloukrans Bridge - the world’s highest commercial bungee jump. The more faint hearted can go on a bridge walking tour, experience the thrill of walking on a catwalk suspended 216 metres above the ground, and see the engineering feat of the Bloukrans Bridge up close. Bungy jump R620, DVD footage R130, Flying Fox R170, Flying Fox Tandem (2 persons) R260, Bungy + Flying Fox R750, Bridge Walking Tours R90..
- Capri Tours and Helicopters, ☎ +27 (0)82 7499-042, . Capri Tours and Helicopters offer scenic flights in the Tsitsikamma and surrounding areas.
- Flying Fox Slide, ☎ +27 (0)42 281-1458, . A thrilling 200-metre slide from the edge of the spectacular Bloukrans gorge to the centre arch of this magnificent bridge.
- Horsing Around, Sanddrif, ☎ +27 (0)82 6590-351. Enjoy a relaxing guided horseback ride over farmlands & plantations.
- Paintball, ☎ +27 (0)42 2803-804, . Enjoy a game of tactics with friends and family in the great outdoors.
- Waterfall Zipline Tour, ☎ +27 (0)42 2803-770, . Experience two hours of adventure while criss-crossing the river on a slide system (longest slide is 211 metres)
- Wolf sanctuary, Witelsbos, ☎ +27 (0)82 33-9799, . 8:30AM-4PM. R30.
- Finebush Farmstall and Country Kitchen, (off the N2, East of Stormsriver bridge between Plettenberg Bay and Humansdorp), ☎ +27 (0)42 280-3503 ([email protected]), . Farmstyle breakfasts and lunches. Carla makes the best cheesecakes, milktarts and chocolate cake. Home made jams and dutch cheeses. R60pp.
- Park's Restaurant, (Stormsriver Mouth, Tsitsikamma National Park). 7AM-10PM. Eat and enjoy the scenery of the Indian Ocean. R150pp.
- Steers, (at the petrol station at Stormsriver Bridge). An all South African fast food outlet. R40pp.
- Tsitsikamma Lodge, (8 kms East of Storms river bridge, entrance on the N2.), ☎ +27 (0)46 624-8525, . Enjoy excellent home-cooked meals in a timber log restaurant, buffets only. R150pp.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under R500
|| R500 to R1000
|| Over R1000
Most of the available accommodation is in Storms River, they appear to be more affordable.
- Tsitsikamma Faith Farm, ☎ +27 (0)42 2850-018 ([email protected]), . An alcohol free and christian loving establishment. From R80-R200pps.
- Bishops Cove Lodge & Self Catering, ☎ +27 (0)84 368-8743 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)86 515-6854), . With a small private beach and to the sides, forested kloofs and fynbos. En-suite, comfortable accommodation is offered in two fully equipped units for either B&B or self-catering. R290pps.
- Boschkloof Cottage Farm Stay, Blueliliesbush, ☎ +27 (0)42 2850-692. Offers comfortable accommodation on a working dairy farm. Both self catering or bed & breakfast is enjoyed in the privacy of your own cottage. The cottage can accommodate 4 people, it has a bath and a shower, fully equipped kitchen, braai facility and DSTV. Enjoy the farm which offers beautiful views of the sea and the mountains and abundant bird life while walking or riding a mountain bike. From R250pps.
- Dolphin View Guest House, ☎ +27 (0)42 2803-818 ([email protected]), . Relax in fully equipped self-catering cottage or family suite with panoramic seaviews. R395pp.
- Greenside Lodge, ☎ +27 (0)42 2803-681 ([email protected]), . Greenside offers you affordable accommodation in equipped self-catering units centrally situated in tranquil setting. Come and be spoiled by breathtaking views of the Tsitsikamma mountains and a relaxed, comfortable environment. Come relax at the pool (with a braai area) or indulge in the activities and hikes offered by the Tsitsikamma. From R380pps.
- Tannenhof Guest Farm, ☎ +27 (0)42 2803-685 ([email protected]), . Self-catering and bed & breakfast accommodation. Stay in a log cabins with its own bathroom and outside deck and enjoy the majestic mountain views. R270pps, self-catering cabin from R650 -R900, breakfast R45pp.
- Elands Rivier Guest House, ☎ +27 (0)42 2803-505 ([email protected]@co.za, fax: +27 (0)42 2803-515), . Upmarket Bed and Breakfast & Fully equipped Self Catering accommodation in the heart of the Tsitsikamma. We offer you the unique opportunity to experience the joys and tranquility of life on a dairy farm with the nature at your doorstep with clean air that surrounds you. From 650pps.
- Oyster Bay Lodge, ☎ +27 (0)82 7000 553 ([email protected]), . Four star graded luxury lodge is situated on a natural, coastal reserve. Freestanding luxury chalets with kitchenette or comfortable guestrooms in our main lodge. From R580pps.
- Plateau Country House, ☎ +27 (0)82 309-5171 ([email protected]), . All suites are climate controlled and luxuriously appointed, and are complimented by saunas, gymnasium, underground wine cellar, massage studio, hair salon and library. This private 82ha reserve is surrounded by the National Park. R1.150 pps b&b.
- Redford House, ☎ +27 (0)44 534-8877 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)44 534-8188), . On 22 hectares of gardens and nature reserve is a fine country estate with birding and hiking trails along lakes, ponds and streams. Swimming pool, tennis court, boating, fishing, and art courses. From R500pps incl breakfast.
- The Fernery Lodge & Chalets, ☎ +27 (0)42 2803-588 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)42 2803-577), . Elegance, comfort & serenity, complimented by stunning views, ensure the ultimate romantic holiday destination. Jacuzzis, saunas, swimming pools & gym. Enjoy peaceful walks, picnics or just relax! The restaurant serves excellent cuisine. Production nursery with fern and restio plants available for sale. From R560-R1.180pps.
- Tsitsikamma Lodge and Spa, ☎ +27 (0)42 2803-802 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)42 2803-702), . All cozy log cabins are situated in a beautiful garden setting with mountain/forest views. Each cabin has its own spa-bath! Excellent home-cooked meals. Facilities : licensed restaurant, swimming pool, games room, braai facilities, forest walks, and the popular Strip-Tease River Trail. R590-R850pps incl breakfast.
- Tsitsikamma-on-Sea, ☎ +27 (0)42 2803-697 ([email protected], fax: +27 (0)42 2809-903), . This private estate drapes over three kilometers of rugged coastline. Elegantly appointed suites, with spectacular ocean views from Cape St. Francis in the east to Plettenberg Bay in the west. Private balconies allow for intimate and romantic dining. Traditional South African breakfast buffets, light lunches and gourmet dinners. Private wine cellar stocked with rare South African award winning vintage wines. From R1.800 per suite.
Outside the Tsitsikamma on the Route 62
- Louterwater Landgoed, Joubertina, ☎ +27 (042) 272-1724 ([email protected]). Louterwater Estate is a fruit farm which offer organised tours through the farm. There are also two hiking trails and 4x4 routes on the grounds. There are four log cabins and a camping site available next to the river. Take along your mountain bike and fishing rod to enjoy some relaxation in nature.
For general enquiries please make use of the following directory numbers:
- Local telephone directory: 1023
- International telephone directory: 10903
The Tsitsikamma forms part of the Garden Route and is located in close proximity to other smaller seaside villages such as Eersterivier. The Baviaanskloof is also close to Tsitsikamma.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!