Trinidad is a small village in Paraguay featuring the ruins of a Jesuit Mission. It´s 30 k m from Encarnación along Ruta 6.
There are frequent buses from Encarnación going north to Buena Vista, Santa Rita and Ciudad del Este that all pass Trinidad. 7,000 Gs. from Encarnacion (45 min), 10 US$ from Ciudad del Este (4 h)
From the Encarnación Terminal, it is about a 40 minute bus ride to the Peaje (toll booth). A couple of minutes after passing through this toll booth, let the driver know that you would like to stop at "La Entrada de las Ruinas." Once off the bus, follow the cobblestone road for several blocks to arrive at the mission, the ticket office will be on the left.
To get around Trinidad, or to travel between the UNESCO sites of Trinidad and Jesús (12km apart via a paved road), there is a service of mototaxi available. The taxi drivers are generally waiting outside of the ticket office, however, if they are not there, just let someone in the office know and they can get a hold of them.
Bicycle rental is also available outside of the ticket office for those who wish to explore the more rural areas of Trinidad or visit Jesús by bike.
Additionally, for transport within Trinidad, there is a horse drawn carriage alternative.
- Santísima Trinidad de Paraná (Jesuit Ruins), (Get off the bus at Trinidad (Entrada de las Ruinas) and walk up the cobblestone street branching off to the right for about 500 m. There's a small visitor information centre and ticket office on the left side just before you reach the ruins.). 7 am to 7 pm (summer), 7 am to 5.30 pm (winter). The Jesuit ruins are in such shape that you can still imagine the splendour that the mission once possessed. It´ll take one to two hours to see the whole area. You can hire a volunteer guide if you'd like more information about the site. Before you walk up to the ruins, ask to see the short, but informational, video in the ticket office (available in Spanish, English, or German). On Thursday-Sunday nights there is a guided tour (included in the ticket price!) during which the ruins are beautifully lit up and music typical of the time period is played. The ruins are a UNESCO world heritage site. 25,000 Guarani (This includes entrance to nearby Jesus ruins and San Cosme ruins, and is valid for three days). You cannot buy a ticket only for Trinidad..
- Ita Cajón. 700 meters from the Mission de Santísima Trinidad, is Eco Park Ita Cajón. From here, the Guarani quarried rocks to build the mission. A guided tour of this ‘’tranquilo’’ area will reveal a lot about both the natural and cultural history of Paraguay. 20,000 Guarani.
Read about Jesuit history in the region before travelling to the Jesuit Misions. It will enhance the whole experience, since there's little information available on the site.
Rent a Bicycle and cycle the 10km to Jesús ruins.
Artisans sometimes sell crafts in tents just outside the fence surrounding Trinidad.
Across the main route from the entrance that leads to the ruins, there is Bar Comedor Stma. Trinidad, typically open for lunch and dinner.
Delicious food and drink is always available to be ordered at Posada Ña Irene, about 100 yards down the turn off from the main route to Jesús, on the left.
There is a bar/restaurant at the Hotel a las Ruinas.
- Hotel a las Ruinas, Ruta 6, Km 30, Trinidad (Next to the Jesuit Ruins, 500 m off the main road (Ruta 6)). There are 5 rooms (some with aircon) in a lush garden, also has a pool. It's also a restaurant. The only hotel in Trinidad. 15/20 US$ for fan/aircon.
- You can also camp for free right near the ruins. Ask when you buy your ticket.
- Posada Don Paraguay, ☎ +595 983 659 175 or +595 985 278 463. One room with private bathroom, fan, pool.
- Posada Dos Princesas, ☎ +595 985 731 423. Three rooms with shared bathroom, air conditioned.
- Posada El Abuelo, ☎ +595 983 491 414. Two rooms with a shared bathroom, air conditioned.
- Posada Maria, ☎ +595 985 769 812. Two rooms with private bathrooms, fan.
- Posada Ña Irene, ☎ +595 985 616 012. Two rooms with shared bathroom, air conditioned, cable TV.
Ask the mototaxi outside the ticket office to take you to Jesús, or alternatively, walk back out to the main road where the buses between Encarnacion and Ciudad del Este pass. There is a service station just east of the turnoff to Trinidad where transportation to the ruins at Jesus de Tavarangue (11.6 km from the service station) can be found. A small bus runs for a cost of 5,000 Gs, though it doesn't have a very defined schedule. The ruins in Jesús are accessed with the same ticket purchased to enter Trinidad. There are also three bed and breakfasts and free camping at the mission in Jesús should you want to stay the night.