Trakai is a town in Lithuania, located approximately 28 km south-west of its capital Vilnius, and is a former (the second known) capital city of Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
Trakai is a very small town squeezed between the two lakes in the middle of scenic Trakai Historical National Park. It has earned enormous popularity among Lithuanians as a holiday destination, the image of Trakai Island Castle has almost become a trademark of Lithuania abroad. Gained an official status of a resort area since 4 Oct 2008.
- Trakai Tourism Information Centre is conveniently located near the bus and train stations Vytauto St 69, ☎ +370 528 51934, mobile +370 672 09476 ([email protected], fax: +370 528 51934). May-Aug Mo 09:00-17:00, Tu-F 9:00-18:00, Sa-Su 09:00-15:00; Sep M-Th 08:00-17:00, F 08:00-15:45, Sa-Su 09:00-15:00; Oct-Apr M-Th 08:00-17:00, F 08:00-15:45.
By train or by bus from Vilnius. It takes 30-45 min. Tickets for the bus can be purchased at the bus station in Vilnius or directly from the driver and cost about 6 LTL (one way).
Trakai Island Castle in a distance
Trakai Island Castle in winter
Trakai is located along Lithuanian road A16 (part of European Route E28) and therefore easily accessible by car.
The town is small enough for everything to be reached on foot, but there are also buses running from the bus station (where the buses from Vilnius also arrive/depart) to the castle.
Užutrakis Manor in autumn.
View to the castle from Užutrakis manor terrace.
- Trakai Island Castle Kęstučio St 4, ☎ +370 528 53941 ([email protected]). 10:00-19:00. A 14th century Gothic residence of Lithuanian dukes, reconstructed in a 15th century style, Gothic with some Renaissance features. Most famous castle in Lithuania, probably symbol of medieval Lithuania itself. Many concerts and plays during summer season. 15 LTL, excursion in foreign language 50 LTL.
- Trakai Peninsula Castle. The older of the two castles of Trakai.
- St. Mary Church. An important church, originally gothic, but strongly altered during the Baroque period.
- Karaite ethnographic exposition, Karaimai St 22, ☎ +370 528 55286. W-Su 10:00-18:00. Adult 4 LTL, schoolkid 2 LTL.
- Cycling around Galvė lake.
- Sailing on the Galvė lake.
Two main retail chains are represented in Trakai. Grocery stores:
- Maxima x, Vytauto St 68 (Centre), ☎ +370 528 51036. 08:00-22:00.
- Iki Trakai, Vytauto St 60 (Centre), ☎ +370 528 54628 (fax: +370 528 54631). 08:00-22:00.
- Suvenyrų parduotuvė Karaimai St 43-1.
Construction, interior and exterior decoration products:
- Senukai Vytauto St 56, ☎ +370 528 55477.
- Kiubėtė Vytautas St 3A (Entrance from Trakai St), ☎ +370 528 59160, +370 528 59160, mobile +370 686 39740 ([email protected]). Karaitian cuisine, authentic and adapted to European culinary traditions. Also offers premises for celebrations, events and tasting. Two rooms (on the ground floor and on the first floor) may be combined and take up to 80 guests.
- Senoji kibininė Karaimai St 65, ☎ +370 528 55865 ([email protected]). 11:00-23:00. Oldest working restaurant dedicated to famous Karaitian dish, the kybyn. Opened in 1979. Karaite and Lithuanian cuisine. ~30 LTL. (54.650709,24.9242063)
- Academia Remigum Karaimai St 93A (NW of town, W of the island castle), ☎ +370 698 13777 ([email protected], fax: +370 528 22298). Has a four-star hotel, rowing club, restaurant Remus, and a Rowing museum.
- Aleksandra (B & B) Šaudyklos St 6, ☎ +370 528 52811, mobile +370 672 77 656 ([email protected]).
- Apvalaus Stalo Klubas Hotel, Karaimai St 53A, ☎ Info +370 528 55595, reservation +370 699 13769 ([email protected]).
- Ekologiška pirtis (Eco Sauna) (B & B) Birutės St 16A, ☎ +370 528 51121, mobile +370 652 63287 ([email protected]). Cabin for 2-4 persons. TV, WC, shower, fireplace, ecological sauna. Price season-depending.
- Homestead Trakai (Sodyba Trakai), Akmena St 7, Jovariškės village, LT-21101 Trakai municipality (West of Trakai town), ☎ +370 528 74467, mobile +370 688 29396, +370 698 22889 ([email protected], fax: +370 528 74467). 70 beds total, 30-40 LTL per bed. (54.65546,24.880827)
- Panorama Hostel Žalioji St 7 (NW of town, arrival and departure coordinated in advance by phone or email), ☎ +370 528 51420, mobile +370 699 61330 ([email protected]). Sauna 25 LTL per person (but not less than 500 LTL/evening), 2 conference halls for rent, for up to 40 people (inclusive of dishes, tablecloths) 1000 LTL/evening, accommodation per person 50-60 LTL (one night, without breakfast), the whole house rental for 24 hr 700-000 LTL..
- Poilsis Trakuose (B & B) ☎ Mobile +370 698 07204 (toll free: Skype center.three, [email protected]). By the Lake Babrukas, a family-run complex. Offers apartments with a TV set, free Wi-Fi, and free tea and coffee. Free private parking site. (54.629472,24.922681)
- Villa "On the Lake Shore" (B & B) (Vila Ant ežero kranto), Vytauto St 99, ☎ +370 659 13009 ([email protected], fax: +370 528 55100).
- Camp Site "Slėnis" ("Valley") (Kempingas slėnyje), Slėnis St 1 (North of town, on the other side of Galvė lake, on the way to Užutrakis estate), ☎ +370 528 53880 ([email protected], fax: +370 528 53880). Fully equipped camp site, cabins, manor-style rooms, hotel-type accommodation. Has a conference hall in a manor building. Prices are season-depending.
- Aukštadvaris and Aukštadvaris Regional Park - a protected territory of picturesque landscape with hilly forests and lakes. Detailed information is available at the Visitor Centre, address Dariaus ir Girėno St 2, Aukštadvaris, Trakai district LT-21253 (N side of the main road, a grey building slightly further W from the bus stop), ☎ +370 528 65-363 ([email protected], fax: +370 528 65-363). M-Th 08:00-17:00, F 08:00-15:45; lunch break daily 12:00-12:45. Foreign language guided tour by agreement.
- Kernavė - a first known capital of Lithuania, easily reachable by car or taxi, no public transport.
- Lentvaris manor estate, Klevų Al, Lentvaris, Trakai district (Northern shore of Lentvaris Lake, northern end of Klevų Alley). ("54°39'29.76"N","25°2'22.1"E")A Neo-Gothic style manor house built by Count Tyszkiewicz in 1855–1865, surrounded with a park designed by Édouard André. Manor house currently is a private property and abandoned; there are plans to nationalize it and convert to a recreation object open for public.
- Trakų Vokė manor estate Žalioji Sq 2a, Trakų Vokė, Vilnius municipality (About in the middle between Trakai and Vilnius, north of a viaduct with a road branch to Druskininkai), ([email protected]). M-Sa 10:30-12:00, Su 11:00-12:00. A Neo-Classicistic manor house with elements of Neo-Gothic architecture, built by Count Tyszkiewicz in 1876–1880 to the design of Polish architect of italian origin Leonard Marconi. The manor is set in the 23 ha park designed by Édouard André. ("54°37'50.37"N","25°6'30.84"E")