Nakano (中野) ward, adjacent to Shinjuku, is the near edge of the endless urban sprawl of western Tokyo.
Nakano is a stop on the JR Chuo and Sobu lines. It is also a terminal stop for trains on the Tozai subway line (stop T01).
JR Chuo Line Rapid trains operate on a frequent schedule from Shinjuku Station (5 minutes, ¥150) and Tokyo Station (20 minutes ¥210).
- Nakano Central Park, Nakano 4-10-1, Nakano-ku, Tokyo, 164-001 JAPAN (From Nakano Station: Take the North Exit, toward Broadway, but then turn left and follow the road past the Nakano Ward Office. The road should turn right and then take the first left. At this point you should see the park.), . The park opened in late September/early October of 2012. It is designed as a business area, but with a green urban island. There are a variety of shops and the place is quite pretty at night. There are plenty of places for a picnic.
- Broadway Arcade, 5-52-15 Nakano (enter the covered arcade on the north side of JR Nakano station, and continue for about five minutes). Many of the shops are not open until later in the day (late morning or early afternoon), especially on weekends.. Renowned throughout Tokyo and beyond for its jam-packed stores catering to the "otaku" culture of comics, anime, collectible toys, and the like. If you're looking for two-meter-high Godzilla figure, this is where you'll find it. There are also some used and specialty audio and video equipment stores. Broadway is on the second floor; the first floor is just a normal suburban shopping mall, so make sure you check upstairs instead of walking around the ground floor and then leaving.
- Rera-Chise (レラ・チセ), Arai 1-37-12 (12 min. north from JR Nakano, continuing past Broadway), ☎ +81 03-3387-2252, . Dinner only, 5PM-11PM; closed M. A Japanese rarity even in Tokyo, this restaurant serves cuisine of the Ainu, the indigenous inhabitants of Hokkaido. Try the crushed salmon snouts and venison steaks.
- Mitsuboshi Curry (ミツボシカレー), Arai 2-1-1 (Walk through Broadway and go to your left. Cross the street to the right side and you should see the name written in katakana). Very friendly staff, speaks a little English. English menu available. ¥680–¥1380.
- Dairy Chiko (デイリーチコ), Nakano 5-52-15 (B1 floor of Nakano Broadway, near the entrance to the Petit Paris section.). Enormous 8-story soft-serve cones. Fun to eat, even more fun to watch other people attempt to eat. Normal-sized cones also available, in eight flavors ranging from vanilla to ramune to yuzu. Often romanized as "Daily Chiko." ¥400 and under.
- Liveinasia, . Small but comfortable and convenient apartments available for weekly rentals are five minutes from Nakano station.
|Routes through Tokyo/Nakano