Tisno is a town in Dalmatia.
Tisno is partially situated on the mainland and partially on the island of Murter. The strait separating island from the mainland, after which the town was named, is only 38 m wide and crossed over by the bridge.
Tisno was first mentioned in 1474 during the Turkish invasion and during the war against the Venetians when numerous refugees fled to Tisno to seek shelter.
According to the 2011 census, Tisno has a population of 1,287.
Zadar airport is some 60 km from Tisno. There are shuttle services from the airport to Zadar bus station every half an hour. Price is 25 kn in one direction, luggage included.
Split airport is 88 km from Tisno. Shuttle service to Split bus station costs 30 kn in one direction, luggage included.
Since there are no direct bus lines from either Zadar or Split to the town of Tisno, you would have to take a bus to Tisno R (6km from Tisno) and the a taxi to your hotel.
There are numerous companies offering shuttle services directly from the airport to your hotel.
Be sure to check if your bus drives to Tisno M or Tisno R bus station. Tisno M station is situated in the town of Tisno, while Tisno R (also called Kapela) is 6 km from the town. If your bus stops only at Tisno R, you can get a local taxi to pick you up.
There are direct bus lines from Šibenik and Vodice through the whole year. During summer months, there are direct bus lines from Zagreb. Unfortunately, there are no direct bus lines from Zadar or Split.
Most buses charge extra for luggage, usually 7 kn per piece.
IMPORTANT: The bridge opens daily from 9:00-9:30 and 17:00-17:30. So plan extra time for your travel at those times, especially to the airport!
Water taxi is probably the best way to get to the festival site. The price is 30-35 kn per person for rides between stops in Tisno and the festival site. Water taxi can also take you to Barbarella's Club for 65 kn to continue your night.
- The Shrine of our Lady of Karavaj. Veneration of Our Lady of Karavaj began in Italy in 1432 on May 26th in town Caravaggio near Bergamo when apparition occurred. During 17th and 18th century when many Italian families moved to Tisno, family Gelpi was one of them. With them they brough a painting of Our Lady and build a church 1720. They owned it for more than 250 years when they gave it to the local district. Every year on 26th of May The Feast of Our Lady of Karavaj is celebrated, when many visitors make a pilgrimage to Tisno. edit
- The Church of Holy Spirit. Built in 17th century, and renovated in baroque style in 18th century, it has a bell tower next to it waking up visitors not used to its sound every day at 6 am. The bell rings every 15 minutes marking the time and also announces funerals & weddings. edit
- St. Andrew's Church. Located on the hill in the southern part of the town, it was built at the beginning of the 17th century. edit
Tisno has 11 villas built by Italian families who moved to Tisno in 18th century. Meštrov villa was turned into a pharmacy, and its garden into a mediterranean park.
Garden electronic music festival is usuallly held during first week of July. It's followed by Electric Elephant Festival, Stop Making Sense, Suncebeat and finishes with Soundwave in the first weeks of August. Buy your ticket early to get a lower price. Also, check out boat parties.
Jazina beach is located on the mainland, on the right side of the bridge, just follow the road. It's the nicest but also the furthest away from the center (1000m).
Vila beach is the smallest and closest to the bridge. Also on the mainland, on the left from the bridge.
To get to Lovišće beach cross the bridge and turn on the right.
At St. Andrija's bay the sea is the cleanest but also the coldest. Cross the bridge, turn on the left, walk by the sea.
At St. Andrija bay, there is underwater interpretative trail which makes a nice snorkeling spot. There you can observe and learn about different types of marine species.
When you're already there, climb up to St. Andrija's church. It offers the best view of the town.
A walking trail at St. Andrija's bay leads to the nearby village of Jezera and makes a nice evening walk.
You can also rent bicycles and take the old road through Lovišće to the nearby towns of Betina and Murter on the north-western part of the island. Murter has nice restaurants like Tic-tac and Gone by wind. If you plan to return at night, make sure your bike has lights since the road is bumpy.
When you're already in Tisno, it would really be a pity not to visit Kornati islands and take a swim in crystal clear sea there. There are excursion boats departing every day from town of Murter. Price is 36€ per person.
Traditionally, people in this region fished and worked on the land, making olive oil, wine and rakija. Make sure to sample homemade travarica or buy some to bring home.
Brošćica. Adress: Put Brošćice 12.
Toni. Adress: Put Brošćice 13.
Carmen. Adress: Pod Garmom 33.
Gurman. Adress: Velika Rudina bb.
Tereža. Adress: Put Jazine 78.
Prova. Has a nice terrace right by the sea. Adress: Put Jazine 41. .
Antonio. Adress: Put Jazine 37.
Gina. Adress: Put Jazine 9. Tel: 022 438 580
Most bars are located in the center of the town, at Rudina square (cross the bridge and turn on the left). The most popular with the locals is the last one in the row, Crni. The best espresso can be found in Viktorija, first one in the row. In Uska ulica there is Kasiopeja, another local favorite. By the bridge, on the mainland side, bar Sabo has a nice terrace with a view of the bridge and church to enjoy your morning coffee or evening drink with a nice view. On Vila beach there's Vila Loca.
- Apartments Barbara (www.apartments-tisno.com), Put Jazine 200, Tisno, ☎ +385 98 900 80 90 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 11:00. Family-run apartment rental with 9 units. All apartments have balcony with a sea view, air-conditioning and wi-fi. Private parking next to the building. edit
- Apartments Petranic (www.apartmani-petranic.info), Ante Starčevića 128, Tisno, ☎ +385 91 509 2827 ([email protected]), . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 11:00. Family-run apartment rental. Each apartment has a terrace overlooking the sea. Apartments are equiped with ait conditioning, satellite TV, coffee maker, free WiFi, free cosmetic accessories and towels. edit
Tourist office Tisno is situated on the mainland side, right next to the bridge.
Most bars have free wi-fi. Just ask for the password.