Tiruvallur is a district in the Southern state of Tamil Nadu, India. It is nearly 45 kms from Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu.It is en route to Tirupathi, the abode of Lord Balaji. It derives its name from the Tamil word "Tiru-Evval-ur", meaning "how much". This is a very ancient city.
Tiruvallur is famous for its temples. Especially for the Lord Veeraraghava Temple. The Actual name of Tiruvallur is " Thiru - EVV ul -uur "
Thiru - God; Evv - Snake , Evvul - lying on snake; uur - place/town ; Hence " Thiru - Evv ul - uur " refers the place where god lying on snake.
This can be visualised in the Lord Veeraraghava Temple's primary idol.
Tiruvallur lies 42 kilometres west of Chennai and is well connected by trains and buses.
It lies on the Chennai bangalore rail road. There are many local trains from the Chennai Central Suburban station and some trains from Chennai Beach station to Tiruvallur.
The government-run buses to Tiruttani and Tirupathi (Routes : 97 series and 201) connect Tiruvallur from Chennai. There are two major roads connecting Chennai and Tiruvallur. One route is throuth Porur and Poonamalle and the another one is through Avadi and Ambattur. Tiruvallur is connected from chennai by MTC bus routes from T.Nagar, CMBT, Broadway..etc
Tiruvallur is rich in industries .. we can locate some of the follwing industries in that region. Lancer Car plant, Caterpillar Earth moving Equipment Plant. Hindustan Motors, Hanil Lear, Delphi TVS, India Japan Lighting, Kingfisher's brewary division, Style SPA furnitures, TI India, TCL...etc
- Situated in the heart of the city is the Sri Vaidhya Veeraraghava Swami Temple. The lord is considered as a form of Vishnu, one of the principal deities in Hinduism.It is one of the 108
Divya Desams, the holy places of Vaishnavaites in Hinduism.
- The 40 foot tall statue of Sri Panchamukha Hanuman . This statue is made of a single piece of green granite that was brought from Hassan in Karnataka. It is an architectural delight, and an important religious monument.
- The Veeraraghava Perumal temple pool is said to be the second largest in South India.
- The Poondi Reservoir which is one of the major water source for chennai lies 10 kms from Tiruvallur.
- Tiruvallur also include manufacturing unit of soft drink Giant Coca-Cola.
- Another Famous Hanuman Temple is Situated at Kakkalur,a village which is 3Kms from Tiruvallur.
In Tiruvallur You will get a chance to Drink ground water,which taste like Sugar,afterall Tiruvallur is major Drinking water Supplier for Chennai.