TiruvallurEarth : Asia : South Asia : India : Southern India : Tamil Nadu : Tamil Nadu North Coast : Tiruvallur
Tiruvallur is a district in the Southern state of Tamil Nadu, India. It is nearly 45 km from Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu.It is en route to Tirupathi, the abode of Lord Balaji. It derives its name from the Tamil word "Tiru-Evvul-ur", meaning "Lord Lying On A Snake Bed". This is a very ancient city.
Tiruvallur is famous for its temples, especially the Lord Veeraraghava Temple. The actual name of Tiruvallur is " Thiru - EVV ul -uur."
Thiru - God; Evv - Snake , Evvul - lying on snake; uur - place/town ; Hence " Thiru - Evv ul - uur " refers the place where god lying on snake.
This can be visualised in the Lord Veeraraghava Temple's primary idol.
Tiruvallur is rich in industries, including the following: Chennai Car plant-Mitsubishi Lancer, Caterpillar earth-moving equipment plant, Hindustan Motors, Hanil Lear, Delphi TVS, India Japan Lighting, Kingfisher's brewery division, Style SPA furnitures,TI India, TCL.
Tiruvallur lies 42 kilometres west of Chennai and is well connected by trains and buses.
It lies on the Chennai-Bangalore railroad. There are many local trains from the Chennai Central Suburban station and some trains from Chennai Beach station to Tiruvallur.
The government-run buses to Tiruttani and Tirupathi (Routes : 97 series and 201) connect Tiruvallur from Chennai. There are two major roads connecting Chennai and Tiruvallur. One route is through Porur and Poonamalle and the another one is through Avadi and Ambattur. Tiruvallur is connected from chennai by MTC bus routes from T.Nagar, CMBT, Broadway..etc
- Situated in the heart of the city is the Sri Vaidhya Veeraraghava Swami Temple. The lord is considered as a form of Vishnu, one of the principal deities in Hinduism.It is one of the 108
Divya Desams, the holy places of Vaishnavaites in Hinduism.
- The 40 foot tall statue of Sri Panchamukha Hanuman . This statue is made of a single piece of green granite that was brought from Hassan in Karnataka. It is an architectural delight, and an important religious monument.
- The Veeraraghava Perumal temple pool is said to be the second largest in South India.
- The Poondi Reservoir, which is one of the major water sources for Chennai, lies 10 km from Tiruvallur.
- Tiruvallur also includes a manufacturing unit of soft drink giant Coca-Cola.
- Another Famous Hanuman Temple is situated at Kakkalur, a village which is 3 km from Tiruvallur.
- Also Sri Theertheswarar Dewasthanam is present in heart of the city. The main god is lord Shiva and goddess is Tiripurasundari ambal. Very old temple situated above the pond. Maal vinai Theerthar sanadhi is present inside the temple explains the Sthala varalar (history) of the temple.
- ruthra kali amman koil, near by bus stsnd (just back side of tiruvallur town bus stand). kaali matha shirne edit
- maha prathiyamgira temple, thalaknjeri tiruvallur (back side of ragavar tepmple). very powerful god and every ammavasai new moon day we are conducting a homam call ed milagai(chilli)homam edit
You will get a chance to drink ground water which tastes like sugar. Tiruvallur is the major drinking water supplier for Chennai.