Thong Nai PanEarth : Asia : Southeast Asia : Thailand : Southern Thailand : Central Gulf Coast : Ko Pha Ngan : Thong Nai Pan
Thong Nai Pan (or just TNP among backpackers) is an area on the northeastern tip of Ko Pha Ngan that includes the two beach resorts of Ao Thong Nai Pan Yai and Ao Thong Nai Pan Noi. They are maybe the most secluded, yet developed beaches on the island.
Yai means "large", and it's the larger and more developed of the two beaches. Noi means "small", and the beach here is about half the size of Yai. The two are a 15-minute hike apart from each other.
To get to either of the Thong Nai Pan beaches, you first need to make your way to Ko Pha Ngan; see the article for details.
Once at the island's harbor of Thong Sala, there will be one or more taxi/pick up truck drivers waiting, holding up signs with the destination. Price is a fixed 300 baht/person. Note that some taxis don't go to both beaches so check for the Noi/Yai extension on their signs. Since the beaches are less traveled and quite a ride, sometimes you'll have to wait for the next boat or even the boat after that because the driver won't drive up and down for just 1 or 2 passengers. Once they do take off, the trip is about half an hour.
Since you've chosen this destination you're unlikely to be in a hurry. But if, for some reason you are and you are a little bit more adventurous, then catch a quick ride to the town (or even walk, out the harbor take a left on the main street till the round about). Here you can rent a typical Thai 125 cc motorcycle 200 baht/day or a 4x4 jeep/truck 700-1000 baht/day. But be aware that the road to these northern beaches has really steep slopes, however it is now paved the whole way. Nonetheless, after one or two hours of rain, this trip can be a dangerous one for the less experienced drivers. It's about 15 km (10 mi) and it will take you around 30-40 minutes to drive.
The road to Thong Nai Pan begins at Ban Tai village (on the main road between Thong Sala and Haad Rin). The road from Ban Tai to Thong Nai Pan is 13.4 km and all of it is now sealed concrete. Care should still be taken as there are some deceptively sharp dusty corners. The improved road from the Than Sadet turn off to Thong Nai Pan has greatly reduced travelling times.
- The sunrise, day after day.
- Also try to catch a glimpse of the huge, harmless lizards that are unique to this area.
- Older, mostly European men, wearing thongs, speedos and other skimpy bathing attire.
- Take a walk from the one beach to the next.
- Walk to the waterfalls. Noi (more beautiful but more strenuous) and Yai each have a waterfall, ask locals for directions.
- Bring some good books
- Yoga classes at The Yoga Studio located on Yai, en route to Wang Thong Waterfall 
- Get a massage from Susie or Lee on Noi Beach.
- take a walk to the viewpoint behind Santhiya
- Big Magic Tattoo, Thong Nai Pan Noi (just off the main road behind Handsome Sandwich), ☎ +66 87 386 3474, . Get a traditional Thai bamboo tattoo. Mr Big has been doing bamboo tattoos for over 18 years and is serious about his art. Big Magic Tattoo is a relaxed space where you can discuss tattoo ideas or just hang out and have a beer. edit
- Tanaporn Massage House, Thong Nai Pan Noi (behind Handsome Sandwich), . Professional massage and spa therapies in a beautiful Thai house and garden at reasonable prices edit
There are ATMs in both the Noi & Yai villages and shops for purchasing souvenirs, water and snacks. There is also a big pharmacy on both beaches, and Yai has a 7-11 for picking up snacks.
- Karma, (Thong Nai Pan Yai). Beautiful clothing, bags and jewellery from the Northern hill tribes, India and Nepal. edit
- Hacienda Happy Days for excellent Mexican and Thai food
- Handsome Sandwiches for excellent 24-hour hamburgers
- Luna for great Western and Thai food.
- Me'n'u is the signature restaurant of Anantara Rasananda serving modern cuisine
- Yukinoya Japanese restaurant at Anantara Rasananda
- Sand in My Shoes for good Thai & Western food, and great pizza. On the beach next to Anantara
- Rasta Baby for decent Thai and foreign food.
- Baan Muay Thai an unassuming restaurant run by a one-woman powerhouse who manages to be the waiter and bartender while also cooking up some amazing Thai food. Possibly the best green curry on the island.
- Siam House, . edit for great western breakfast,lunch and early tapas. Located about 50 meters, just a short stroll behind Dreamland Resort. Absolutely magical lighting in the evenings. Not to be mixed up with the old Dolphin Restaurant by Dolphin Bungalows.
- The Living Room Excellent Italian food cooked by an Italian chef.
All places in town are very much alike, i.e., open bamboo constructions with cold beer in the fridge, Western music on the stereo and a very relaxed atmosphere. Also on the beach you can find a couple of these bars. Some of them are part of a guest house. Most close between 22:00 and 23:00. Some stay open till around 02:00.
- Easy Corner in the village
- I Sea Bar at the far end of the beach
- Indigo Gecko in the village
- Blue Moon Bar in the village, stays open as long as there are guests
- Chai Ya Bar for pool, beer, wine, cocktails, good Thai food.
- Flip Flop on Yia next to Central Cottage
- Nice Beach Resort Bar on the beach
- Yai Bar on the beach
- 2CBar on the mountain overlooking the bay. Great for sunset cocktails.
Accommodation in Thong Nai Pan has come a long way. There are some villa rentals in the area with private pools as well as guest houses of different ranges all along the beach plus a couple of hidden places in the village. Prices for a bungalow at the beach range, depending on the season, from 200 to 1200 baht. So drop your bags at one of the bars and start picking out the ones you'll like best. At both ends of the Ao Thong Nai Pan Noi there are some classy resorts in the splurge range. Accommodation is cheaper on Yai beach.
The village rooms will give you a more local experience so don't be afraid to go back from the beach a bit.
On Yai Beach, backpacker bungalows can be had for 300-800 baht/night at the following:
- Candle Hut Bungalows
- Dolphin Bungalows
- Havana Beach Resort
- Longtail Beach Resort
- Nice Beach Resort
- Paradise Garden Resort
- Starlight Bungalows
- Thai Terrace Bungalows
- 5 Star Villa Vadee Private pool, sleeps 8, 500m from Thong Nai Pan Noi beach. Views over the bay. 
- Anantara Rasananda Villa Resort Contemporary yet uniquely Thai, Anantara Rasananda’s luxurious suites and villas offer an environment of exclusive and sophisticated elegance discerning them from other Koh Phangan resorts, the ideal beach hideaway where romantic barefoot grandeur defines the tropical experience. 
- Sandee Bungalow from 600 baht/night
- Santhiya Resort and Spa  Luxury wooden villa, private pool. Located beside Thong Nai Pai Noi Beach.
- Sunrise Villa - Luxury 3 bedroom villa with outstanding sea views. 5 minutes walk from Thong Nai Pan Noi 
- Thong Ta Pan
- Panviman Resort, on the headland between the two beaches.
There are several Internet cafés charging steep prices by Thai standards of 3 baht/minute. There is also Wi-Fi available on both beaches (Ban Pong on Noi Beach, Indian Bar on Yai Beach) for around 150 baht/hr, so bring your laptop.