The North Fork is in Suffolk County on Long Island, New York.
The North Fork of Long Island is located only 80 miles from Manhattan. This area offers a low key lifestyle for both families as well as couples that want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is also cheaper than the South Fork of Long Island which is appealing to many people.
The North Fork of Long Island, New York, stretches from Riverhead in the west to Orient Point at the eastern tip and comprises two townships.
- The Town of Riverhead includes Riverhead, Aquebogue, Jamesport, S. Jamesport, and parts of Laurel.
- The Town of Southold includes the other parts of Laurel, Mattituck, Cutchogue, New Suffolk, Peconic, Southold, Greenport, East Marion, Orient, Orient Point. Approximately 1 square mile of Greenport is an incorporated village.
The South Fork or The Hampton's and Montauk point are just south of the North Fork. It is an easy drive of easier to take a small ferry to Shelter Island, drive through to the next ferry to Sag Habor and explore there as well.
Heading west from the North Fork, you can visit Long Island and head further west to New York City.
Long Island has many enjoyable places to visit, including nice villages. Beautiful ocean beaches, restaurants, and tours are available of Gold Coast Mansions, that dotted the coast during the era of the Great Gatsby. For groups of 50 or more tour guides are available. If small groups, you can visit the mansions online and check for events and availability.
Staying in the North Fork or returning if a long trip there are many things to do. Mostily it is a quiet place and relaxation and tranquility along with a picturesque setting are part of what makes the North Fork an enjoyable destination.
You are able to get into The North Fork of Long Island by car, bus, ferry and rail road. The Cross Sound Ferry provides transportation to and from the North Fork and New England several times daily. The North Ferry provides access to Shelter Island (an island located in the middle of the North and South Fork of Island Island) and then you can take the South Ferry from Shelter Island to Sag Harbor and the Hamptons. The Long Island Rail Road provides access to and from the Greenport station to Manhattan. The Hampton Jitney is a bus that provides access from the North Fork to Manhattan daily. There is multiple highway access to Riverhead. Transportation by car East of Riverhead is limited to Highway 25.
The Hampton Jitney
Coming in from NYC - A traveler might opt for The Hampton Jitney if they do not want to drive or take busses. Currently Hampton Jitney rates are $22 each way with discounts available for round trip.
Traveling by car from New England, it may often pay to drive to the Island from New England via the Cross Island Expressway, if you are near there. That takes you to Queens, NY and is a drive east.
If you are coming from eastern Connecticut or north of Connecticut, It might pay to save time to take the North Fork Ferry.
The Cross Sound Ferry takes you from New London, Ct, to Orient Point, NY.
From there you can enjoy the North Fork. Just South of the North Fork are The Hampton's and Montauk. Easily driven to by heading to Riverhead, and down south and back east again.
Or simply take the North Ferry to Shelter Island (beteen the two forks) and over to Sag Harbor, a popular Hamptons Town. Enjoy the town and drive south to the Hampton towns along the ocean. To the south west of Sag Harbor, there are Westhampton, East Quogue, Hampton Bays. Just south is Southampton. South east is Bridgehampton, East Hampton, Amagansett, and furthest east Montauk Point.
The North Ferry can take you back to the North Fork and the Cross Sound Ferry can take you back to New England.
There are a limited number of ways to get around on the North Fork of Long Island. There are either buses, trains, ferries, cars or limos. You can bring your own bike on the railroad on weekends with a $5 permit  or anytime aboard Hampton Jitney  which charges $15 for bicycles. (Note: The LIRR is considering discontinuing its infrequent service to Greenport, except for summer weekends.) The ways of getting around are somewhat expensive. For a bus right to New York City it is an average of $37 a person round-trip . For a train to New York City it costs $30 round-trip and stops in Greenport and Mattituck. The ferries are $44 round-trip for you and your car. The limos are available for tours around the North Fork and for visiting wineries and range in price depending on how many people are in a group. The only ways to really get around from point to point on the North Fork are by car, or on bike, or foot. For those electing not to drive (or walk or bike), there are car services to be had, such as the Island Cab Company .
The North Fork of Long Island has many bed and breakfasts as well as inns and hotels. All of the bed and breakfasts and inns and hotels are located either along the beach or next to vineyards.
Although there are a few wineries on the South Fork of Long Island, the Hamptons, the vast majority are located on the North Fork of Long Island.
- Greenport Skatepark, Ice Skate Rink & Carousel, Greenport, ☎ (631) 477-1133, .
- Strong's Marine, LLC, Camp Mineola Road, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-4770, . This place allows for renting boats and does provide boating lessons.
- Atlantis Marine World Aquarium, 431 East Main Street, Riverhead, ☎ 631-208-9200 ext.H2O (426), .
- Harbes Family Farm, 715 Sound Ave. (Rte. 48), Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-0800, . Allows you to pick your own fruit and vegetables as well as flowers. It is open from May till October. The months depend on what you are able to pick.
- East End Lighthouse, Inc., .
- Splish Splash, 2549 Splish Splash Dr, ☎ (631) 727-3600, . This water park is for all ages and is one of the largest water parks in the United States.
The North Fork of Long Island has many beaches as well as park trails. As well as these beaches and park trails, the North Fork of Long Island is known for their many wineries as well as a small knit community.
- Sannino Vineyard B&B, 7490 Alvahs Lane (North of RT 48), ☎ 631-734-8282, . all year. An exclusive Tuscan Suite on a private vineyard Private entrance and balcony overlooking the vineyard King Size bed, 700 sq. feet of luxury Breakfast in Bed $300 avg.
- A Touch of Venice, 2255 Wickham Avenue, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-5851, .
- Baker's Workshop, 20 East Main Street, Riverhead, ☎ 631-548-3750.
- Braun Seafood, 30840 Main Road, Cutchogue, ☎ (631) 734-7770, .
- Claudio's Clam Bar & Wharf, Main Street Wharf, Greenport, ☎ (631) 477-1889, .
- Claudio's Crabby Jerry's, Main Street Wharf, Greenport, ☎ (631) 477-8252, .
- Claudio's Restaurant, Main Street, Greenport, ☎ (631) 477-0627.
- Greenport Tea Company, 400 Main Street, Greenport, ☎ (631) 477-8744, .
- Greenporter Bistro and Wine Bar.
- Junda's Pastry, 1612 Main Road, Jamesport, ☎ (631) 722-4999.
- Legends, 835 First Street, New Suffolk, ☎ (631) 734-5123, .
- Lick-itty Splitz, Rte. 25, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-0416.
- Love Lane Kitchen, Love Lane, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-8989.
- Modern Snack Bar, Route 25, Aquebogue, ☎ (631) 722-3655, .
- O'Mally's Restaurant, Rt. 48, Southold, ☎ (631)-765-2111.
- The Old Mill Inn, 5775 West Mill Road, Mattituck, ☎ (631)-298-8080, .
- Orient by the Sea, Main Road, Orient, ☎ (631) 323-2424, .
- Paganos, Route 25, Southold, ☎ (631) 765-6109, .
- The Old Mill Inn, 5775 West Mill Road, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-8080, .
- Southold Fish Market, 61859 Main Road, Southold, ☎ (631) 765-3200.
- Starbucks, Mattituck Plaza Route 25, Southold, .
- Ackerly Ponds, 1375 Peconic Lane, Peconic, ☎ (631) 765-6861, .
- Bedell Cellars, Main Rd., Rte. 25, Cutchogue, ☎ (631) 734-7537, .
- Castello Di Borghese, Rte. 48 & Alvah's Lane, Cutchogue, ☎ (631) 734-5111, .
- Clovis Point Vineyard, 1935 Main Rd., Jamesport, ☎ (631) 722-4222, .
- Comtesse Therese, 1375 Peconic Lane, Peconic, ☎ (631) 871-9194, .
- Corey Creek Vineyards, Main Rd., Rte. 25, Southold, ☎ (631) 765-4168, .
- Croteaux Vineyards, 1450 South Harbor Rd., Southold, ☎ (631) 765-6099.
- Diliberto Vineyard & Winery, 250 Manor Lane, Jamesport, ☎ (631) 722-3416, .
- Duck Walk North Vineyard, Rte. 25, Southold, ☎ (631) 765-3500, .
- Harbes Vineyard, Sound Ave., Rte 48, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-0700, .
- Jamesport Vineyards, Main Road, Rte 25, Jamesport, ☎ (631) 722-5256, .
- Laurel Lake Vineyards, 3165 Main Road, Rte 25 Laurel, ☎ (631) 298-1420, .
- The Lenz Winery, Main Road, Rte 25, Peconic, ☎ (631) 734-6010, .
- Lieb Family Cellar, 35 Cox Neck Road, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-1942, .
- Macari Vineyards and Winery, 150 Bergen Avenue, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-0100, .
- Martha Clara Vineyards, 6025 Sound Ave., Rte 48, Riverhead, ☎ (631) 298-0075, .
- The Old Field Vineyards, 59600 Main Road, Southold, ☎ (631) 765-0004, .
- Osprey Dominion Winery, Main Road, Rte 25, Peconic, ☎ (631) 765-6188, .
- Palmer Vineyards, 108 Sound Ave, Aquebogue, ☎ (631) 722-WINE, .
- Paumanok Vineyards, 1074 Main Rd, Rte 25, Aquebogue, ☎ (631) 722-8800, .
- Peconic Bay Winery, 31320 Main Rd., Rte 25, Cutchogue, ☎ (631) 734-7361, .
- Pelligrini Vineyards, 23005 Main Rd., Rte 25, Cutchogue, ☎ (631) 734-4111 ext.202, .
- Pindar Vineyards, Main Rd, Rte 25, Peconic, ☎ (631) 734-6200, .
- Pugliese Vineyards, 34876 Main Road, Rte 25, Cutchogue, ☎ (631) 734-4057, .
- Raphael, 39390 Main Road, Rte 25, Peconic, ☎ (631) 765-1100, .
- Sannino's Bella Vita Vineyard, LLC, 7490 Alvah'sLane, Cutchogue, ☎ 631-734-8282, .
- Sherwood House Vineyards, Elijah's Lane, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 298-1396, .
- Shinn Estate Vineyards, 2000 Oregon Road, Mattituck, ☎ (631) 804-0367, .
- Vineyard 48, Rte 48, Cutchogue, ☎ (631) 734-5200, .
- Waters Crest Winery, Rte 48, Unit 6, Cutchogue, ☎ (631) 734-5065, .
Additionally there are lists of all [North Fork Bed and Breakfast] places on regional guides.
- Cooperage Inn, 2218 Sound Avenue, Baiting Hollow ny 11933, ☎ 631 727-8994.