ThargomindahOutback Queensland : Thargomindah
Thargomindah is a town in south western Queensland.
Locally, the town is known as Thargo. Standing in Thargomindah it is easy to see the grand vision of Australia's pioneers. Where every corner of the continent would be settled, and the outback areas would flourish with rich sheep properties. Thargomindah is remote today, yet was planned as a grand town in the 1870's.
The town is accessible via sealed road from Cunnamulla via Eulo. The sealed section is one lane wide in places, meaning that you must pull one wheel off onto the gravel to pass oncoming traffic. From New South Wales via well formed but unsealed road from Bourke via Hungerford.
The town is fairly small, only a few blocks in each direction. It is only 1km walk from the Airport to the centre of town.
Cars seem to be allowed everywhere. Only the main road is sealed, and the other roads are indicated by street signs, but often it isn't really clear where the road ends and when the dirt begins.
Needless to say there is no public transport in town.
- Bulloo River & Cobb and Co Crossing, (By the road bridge). The new road bridge crosses the Bulloo the Eulo side of Thargo. It is a short walk from the town centre. The old Cobb and Co rock crossing crosses the river by the side of the road bridge. free. edit
- Hydroelectric Plant, (Just north of the Airport). Thargomindah was the site of the third hydroelectric generator in the world, after London and Paris. See the French, British, and Australian flags flying over the Artesian Bore Gardens. The plant is operated at 4PM daily. At other times you can still see the bore and the machinery. free. edit
- Walk. The town has three walks marked on the map you can pick up from the visitors information, the post office, or just about anywhere else in town. The walk by the river is nice, and the walk out past the new town bore to the Artesian park is interesting. edit
- Bulloo Built. Timber products and souvenirs "Bulloo Built" are available at the Post Office, Visitors Centre, and the pub edit
- Supplies. Supplies are available at the general store, and the fuel station. Two fuel stations are available. edit
- Petrol Station. has a wide selection of fast food, sandwiches, ice-creams available all day, as well as supplies. It has a inside and outside eating area. edit
- Bulloo River Hotel, ☎ +61 7 4655-3125. The pub serves meals $15-$20 mains. edit
- Bulloo River Hotel, ☎ +61 7 4655-3125. edit
There are a few accommodation choices in Thargo. That said, if there is a local event, like a wedding, it is entirely possible for all the accommodation in town to be booked out. Check with the place you are intending to stay, and they will tell you if there is going to be room without the need to make a confirmed booking.
- Bulloo River Hotel Motel, ☎ +61 7 4655-3125. Friendly staff basic but nice pub accommodation. edit
- Oasis Hotel Motel, Dowling Street, ☎ 46553155. Recently renovated, the motel has 10 rooms, with double and single beds catering to singles, couples and families passing through or staying for work. edit
There are two payphones in town, one outside the Post Office. The post office is open M-F, and Saturday mornings until 11AM.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!|