| || |
* <sleep name="Thale Youth Hostel" alt="" address="Waldkater-Bodetal 1" directions="" phone="+4939472881" email="[email protected]
="" url="" checkin="" checkout="" price
="">There are 209 bed spaces and is situated in the Bode valley.</sleep>
* <sleep name="Thale Youth Hostel" alt="" address="Waldkater-Bodetal 1" directions="" phone="+4939472881
" email="[email protected]
" fax="">There are 209 bed spaces and is situated in the Bode valley.</sleep>
| || |
Revision as of 10:29, 30 November 2011
Thale seen from the Hexentanzplatz
Thale is a town in the Harz Mountains in central Germany.
It is believed that Thale emerged at the beginning of the 10th Century and was first mentioned in 936 in connection with Wendhausen abbey, however the abbey was later destroyed in 1525 due to the Peasant’s war.
Records have shown that from 1445 there was a working ironworks which was rebuilt in 1648 and it was partially destroyed during the Thirty Years War, it was completely destroyed in 1670. However it was later rebuilt in a small hammer mill due to the close proximity of the ore deposits and availability of wood, this lasted until 1714. Thale has always had a connection with the iron industry which shows in the number of workers it had, it went from 350 in 1872 to 4,400 in 1905. From 1916 Tale produced steel helmets and during the Second World War Thale had the monopoly on the product.
Tourism only started to flourish from the 19th Century onwards this was due to the Hubertus spring which opened in 1836.
- Leipzig Airport is east of Thale and is around 120km (roughly one hour and twenty five minutes) and is 20km away from Leipzig city centre. There are a number of international and national flights that take place.
- Hanover Airport, in Hanover, is about 154km south of Thale (roughly one hour and forty drive). The airport is situated in Langenhagen which is 11 kilometres to the north of Hanover centre and has easy access to the autobahn.
Thale is very close to Quedlinburg and Blankenburg and in the north /east of the Harz. Thale is just off the B6, which is a newly built road connecting the East with the West.
- North A7 direction Kassel, take Exit A2 direction Braunschweig, then continue A391 towards A39, head towards B6 via A395. Follow direction Thale.
- South / West On the A7 direction Hannover take exit 66 to Goslar B82 and B6, Thale is sign posted.
- East Take the A14 exit 10 direction Aschersleben, then follow B185 to Aschersleben, take theB6 and then L240, Thale is sign posted
The main station (Hauptbahnhof) is in the west of the town, on Bahnhofstr 1 From there you can take trains to major cities. Check Train timesfor routes.
You can take buses to any major cities and places around Harz. The Busbahnhof (main busstation) is near the Hauptbahnhof. The bus service goes via Q Bus. Check for routes and timings
Thale railway station lies on the Magdeburg–Thale railway which is a single non electrified track that connect Thale to Magdeburg. You can also connect to Berlin and Stendal.
There are a number of mountain bike paths around Thale to enjoy, it is possible to hire a bike and explore them for yourself. A number of hotels and shops around the area offer bike rental so there is no need to take your own. Prices will vary from different establishments and type of bike.
There are a number of taxi companies within the town, you will find more information on the website. Alternatively head towards the train station it will always be possible to get a taxi from there.
There are a number of car parks just outside the town centre at reasonable prices. For more informationcheck the website.
- Harz Bob, Hexentanzplat, . Apr-Oct 09:30-18:00 Nov-Jan Closed Feb-Apr weekends 10:00-16:30. Why not ride down into the valley where you can decide how fast you can go. This is a unique attraction and runs in all weather conditions. It is the longest in Germany. Adults €2.50 Child €1.50.
- FunPark, Parkplatz Seilbahnen, . Apr-Oct 09:30-18:00 Nov-Mar Closed. There are two fun parks with trampolines, comet, Euro bungee's and bumper boats and much much more. 1 Chip €1 6 Chips €5.
- Funicular, Seilbahn parkplatz, . Apr-Oct 09:30-18:00 Nov-Jan Weekends 10:00-16:30 Feb-Mar 10:00-16:30. Take the cable railway up to the Hexenplatz where you can see views of cliffy rocks, green meadows, wild waters and the "Brocken" mountain and the "Teufelsmauer" (the devil's wall) in the distance. Adult €3-€4.90 Child €2-€3.
- Chairlift, Seibahnen, . Apr-Oct 09:30-18:00 Nov-Jan Closed Feb-Mar Weekends 10:00-16:30. Admire the views from the chairlift and when you reach the top why not look for the famous hoof print of princess Brunhilde's legendary horse. Adult €2.50-€3.80 Child €1.50-€2.
- DDR Museum, Steinbachstraße A, ☎ +49394765633, . Mon-Fri 10:00-18:00 Sat 10:00-16:00. Since 2000 the building has operated as a furniture store. The 6th floor of the building is used as a museum. We want to convey to hand the exhibits, showcases, and an impression of our information boards about the living conditions in the former GDR. Adult €5 Child €3.
- Walpurgis, Musestieg 28, ☎ +4939475527, . 30 April. Witches are believed to ride on broomsticks to places of old pagan sacrifices in the Harz Mountains, however it is now one big party and a chance for everyone to dress up as witches and devils.
- International Folklore Festival for Children, Steinbachstr. 6, ☎ +493947941341 ([email protected], fax: +4939477729486), . Late Jul-Aug. The market place brings together singers, musicians and dancers from throughout the world.
- Rosstrappen downhill, DH Track, ☎ +491792117183 ([email protected], fax: Fax +49-(0)3947-2645), . Sep. A massive mountain biking event that takes place every year.
- Kletterwald, Goetheweg, ☎ +4917696609538, . May-Aug 09:00-20:00 Oct-Apr Tue-Fri 13:00 to sunset Sat-Sun 09:00 to sunset. Why not climb over rickety bridges, leaps from ropes in nets, ride on the cable cars and jump on bars and tires. Adult €18, Child €15 and under 12's €12.
- Walking - Hexenstieg, Osterode, . Discover the whole of the harz on this 97km walk which starts in Osterrode and ends in Thale.
- Mountain Biking. There are a number of different biking tours you can take part in. Alternatively you can take the cable car up to the start of the best downhill biking track.
- Fishing, Bode Valley, . Clear mountain lakes and reservoirs and cold mountain streams give is the ideal surrounding to do spot of fishing. You can do coarse and fly fishing here, where you can catch Trout, Pike, Bream, Carp, Perch and many more. Fishing license between €8-€30.
- Mini Golf, Goetheweg 1, ☎ +4939472500 ([email protected]). Miniature golf course via the cable car.
- Harzer Bergtheater, Hexentanzplatz, ☎ +4939472324 (fax: +493947949001), . Large open air theatre offering a number of different shows from classical, opera and musicals. Between €5-€23 depending on what show.
- Cinema, Bahnhofstrasse 5, ☎ +493947779900 (fax: +497779901), . Various timings. Cinema with 96 seats where you can watch a film with popcorn and sweets. Adult seat-€5, Cafe €6 Child Seat €4, Cafe €5.
- Flea Market, Walpurgisstraße, ☎ +495305912440, . Various times throughout the year 08:00-16:00. A chance to pick up some items at the local flea market. Entrance €1,50.
- Weekly Market, Rathausplatz 1, ☎ +4939474700, . Every Thursday from 08:00-14:00. Weekly market where you can buy frech, fruit, veg, meat and cheese.
- Christmas Market, Rathausplatz, . Fourth weekend in advent. The town square is transformed with christmas lights and stalls where you can purchase local crafts and food. Various.
There are a number of different types of food specific to the Harz region. The Harz cheese or known locally as Harzer roller is made from sour milk quark it takes 1638 days to mature. The cheese can be brought from any local markets or shops.
Many of the restuarants in the area will serve game on their menus, this is due to there being a number of woods for the wild animals to live in.
- Böttchers Bierstube, Roßtrappenstr. 80, ☎ +4939472462 . Ideal for a quick snack, serves fast food.
- Imbiss-Mehmo-Grill, Bahnhofstr. 1. Snack bar serving chips, donner kebabs and burgers.
- Dirk Kreft, Karl-Marx-Str. 25, ☎ +4939472444. Daily 08:00-18:00 Sunday Closed. Fast food
- Berghotel Rosstrappe, Rosstrappe 1, ☎ +4939473011, . Nov-Apr 10:00-18:00 May-Oct 10:00-22:00.
- Hotel Alice, Walpurgisstraße 26, ☎ +493947400640, . Tue-Sun 10:00-14:00 17:30-22:00. This stylish restaurant offers typical German food. It is possible to enjoy your food on the terrace in the summer months.
- Berghotel Hexentanzplatz, Hexentanzplatz 1, ☎ 039474730, . The restuarant offers a casual and cosy atmosphere serving well known local food.
- Hexentreff, Rudolf - Breitscheid - Straße 24, ☎ +493947941480, . Daily 11:30-14:30 17:30-21:00. Typical German cuisine with a variety of different schnitzel's. Mains between-€5-€10.
- Zur Luppbode, Ortsstraße 26, ☎ +493945656751, . Serves regional cuisine with small and larger meals for every appetite.
- Athos, Rudolf-Breitscheid-Str. 22, ☎ +4939472728, . Mon 17:30-23:00, Tue-Thu & Sun 11:30-14:00 17:30-23:00 Fri-Sat 17:30-24:00. A warm and inviting restaurant that serves Greek food. Mains €8-€18.
- Gasthaus Konigsruhe, Hirschgrund 1, ☎ +4939472726, . Restuarant serves hearty healthy homemade food using local produce.
- Restaurant Felsengrund, Tempelstraße 12, 06507 Bad Suderode, ☎ +493948560088, . Mon-Fri 17:00-22:00, Wed Closed, Sat-Sun 11:30-14:30. This resaurant serves German, Dutch and French cuisine.
- Bodeblick, Halde 1, ☎ +49394565610, . Daily 08:00-24:00. Serves local cuisine with the bar stocking a wide variety of spirits and wines. In the summer there is the option to enjoy your meal in the beer garden. Mains between €7-€16.
- Hotel Zur Luppbode, Ortsstraße 26, ☎ +493945656751, . checkin: 14:00-20:00; checkout: 09:00-10:00. It offers bright rooms and traditional food from the Harz region €50.
- Ferienpark Rosstrappe, Rosstrappe 2,, ☎ +493947940106, . checkin: 15:00-22:00; checkout: 07:00-10:00. The hotel is situated in the Bodetal Nature Park. There are a number of facilities such as a swimming pool, barbecue facilities, and country-style bungalows with kitchenettes and satellite TV.The individual bungalows feature wooden furniture, dining area and sofas. €55-€65.
- Hotel Garni Haus Sonneneck, Heimburgstraße 1a, ☎ +493947772257, . checkin: 12:00-15:00; checkout: 07:00-10:00. This is a family run hotel that is decorated in the typical Harz stlye, it offers cosy rooms with a country house atmosphere. €65-€80.
- Warnstedter Krug, Warnstedter-Hauptstr. 118, ☎ +4939472710, . checkin: 14:00-20:00; checkout: 07:00-11:00. All rooms are fully furnished with satellite tv and private bathrooms. Traditional German cuisine is served in the restaurant or a barbeque can be enjoyed in the summer. If you want to relax there is a sauna, outdoor swimming pool and skittle alley. €69.
- AKZENT Berghotel Rosstrappe, Rosstrappe 1, ☎ +4939473011, . checkin: 14:00-18:00; checkout: 08:00-11:00. The Berghotel Rosstrappe is located on the Rosstrappe cliffs. It provides quiet rooms, a beer garden, and panoramic views of the Harz mountain range. €72.
- Hoffmanss Guesthouse, Musestieg 4,, ☎ +49394741040, . checkin: 14:00-00:00; checkout: 07:00-10:00. The 3-star Hoffmanns Gästehaus offers bright, quiet and spacious rooms with wooden floors and stucco ceilings and a view to the garden, the Bodetal valley or toward the city. €69-€89.
- Ferienwohnung 1, Karl-Marx-Str. 5, ☎ +4939472415, . Is an attic apartment with open space living arrangements. Can sleep a maximum of 3 people Adult p.n €24.50, Child upto 10 p.n €10 Child up to 15 p.n €15.
- Ferienwohnung 2, Karl-Marx-Straße 5, ☎ "="+4939472415", . Is an independant holiday home in a queit and central location. Can sleep a maximum of 3 people. Adult p.n €27.50, Child upto 10 p.n €10 Child up to 15 p.n €15.
- Ferienwohnung 3, Karl-Marx-Str. 5, ☎ +4939472415, . A bright and modern two bedroom apartment right next to the Bodetaltherme! The price includes free use of the spa. Adult p.n €29.50, Child upto 10 p.n €10 Child up to 15 p.n €15.
- Apartments Zur Jaegerbaude, Rolandeck 65, ☎ +4939456372 ([email protected]), . The cottages can sleep between 2-6 people and has beautiful views of the countryside and the Harz Hexenstieg. Between €39-€55 per night.
- Kloster Camping, Wendhusenstr 3, ☎ +49394763185. All pitches have a power supply, there is also washing facilities with showers and toilets along with a washing machine. Vehicle between €1.60-€8.30 Adult €4.70 Child €2.10.
- Thale Youth Hostel, Waldkater-Bodetal 1, ☎ +4939472881 ([email protected]). There are 209 bed spaces and is situated in the Bode valley. Between €17.50-€26.50.
- Library, Rathausplatz 1, ☎ +493947470112 ([email protected]). Mon-13:00-17:00, Tue 13:00-18:00, Wed closed, Thu 10:00-18:00, Fri Closed. It is possible to use the internet facilites provided by the library to keep in contact.
- Youth Club, Sputnikweg 1, ☎ +493947779904 ([email protected]), . Mon-Sat 14:00-21:00. €1 for an hour.