Tatai is in Cambodia's Cardamom Mountains, near the town of Koh Kong.
Highway 48, the one road that connects the border town of Koh Kong to the rest of the country, passes through largely untouched jungle. The road crosses three large rivers, with each bridge being built in a small town. Tatai is the nearest of such towns to Koh Kong and lies 19km to the west. The next town west is Andoung Tuek.
Highway 48 is the only road. Several companies' buses pass through the town, connecting it to Koh Kong, Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville.
The town is tiny so get around on foot. Boats are available for trips on the river.
- Pristine jungle - guesthouses can organize expeditions
Marvel at nature. Take a boat trip.
Not much to buy. No bank or ATM.
The town's economy appears to be based mainly on it being a truck stop. Places to eat are plentiful.
- Samphos Tatai Guest House and Restaurant, (East side of the bridge, north side of the road.), ☎ 0356900661. Quiet and comfortable simple rooms set back from the road. Electricity only until 10pm. Each room has a bathroom but no hot water. The mosquito nets are surprisingly devoid of holes. The restaurant serves good crabs. US$5.
Not so budget
- Tatai Riverfront Resort, 4km up the river (free pick up by boat from the Tatai bridge), ☎ 097 8050320, . Stylish Khmer eco cabins set out on the Tatai Riverside. Very ideal for tranquility and a way to be ONE with Nature. From US$85 per cabin good for 2 guests including breakfast.
- Rainbow Lodge, 1.5km up the river (free pick up by boat from the west side of the bridge), ☎ 099 744321, . Comfortable eco bungalows set out in the jungle. All meals and drinking water included. No air con, only fans. From US$30 per person.
- 4 Rivers Floating Lodge, 4km down the river (pick up by boat from the bridge), ☎ Phnom Penh office: 023217374, . Luxury resort. Meals not included. From US$115. (11°31’50.00 N,103° 8’41.00 E)
- Neptune Adventure, 5 minutes up the river (free pick up by boat from the bridge), ☎ 088 7770576, . checkin: anytime; checkout: anytime. Cozy bungalows in jungle surroundings. Solar powered 220 Volt light - portable devices can be used. From US$25 per bungalow.
Tatai Waterfall is nearby. Other waterfalls are also accessible. Busses pass through, but to arrange a trip you might need to head to Koh Kong, which has the bus station.