Tangshan (唐山; Tángshān) is a city in Hebei.
Tangshan was known for the 1976 earthquake that measured 7.8 on the richter scale that killed 255,000 residents. The city has since been rebuilt.
There is a small airport with domestic fights only. There are two train stations: the main train station which is located in the city center (Tangshan Station; 唐山火车站 Tángshān Huǒchē Zhàn) and the other train station (Tangshan North; 唐山北 Tángshān Běi) in Fengrun, located roughly 24 kilometers from the city center. You can take bus 114 to Fengrun's bus station stop (汽车站 qìchē zhàn) for 3RMB, and from there take a tuk tuk for no more than 5RMB to the train station. The intercity bus service is also a viable option for traveling to nearby cities such as Beijing or Tianjin, the price for the bus is usually 60RMB and the bus terminal is located roughly in front of Tangshan Station.
The city buses' fares are usually 1RMB or 2RMB. Public bus transportation stops running after 9:30PM.
Within the greater Tangshan area are a total of 14 cities, counties, and districts.
Tangshan City Center (唐山市中心)
- Parks. The earthquake memorial and park in the centre of town on Xinhua Road is an important focal point. There is also a museum located nearby which details the city's history and future plans. Good views of the city can be obtained from a pagoda atop of a hill in Fenghuangshan Park a short distance away on Wenhua Road at the intersection with Beixin Road. Nanhu (South) Lake Park is a large park with walkways around the lakes and is on Jianshe South Road.
- Phoenix Mountain (凤凰山 Fènghuáng shān) - one of two 'mountains' (more like large hills) located in downtown Tangshan. Has a nice view from the top. A large Buddhist monastery is very close to the entrance. Big City Mountain is not far away, either.
- Big City Mountain (大城山 Dacheng shan) - one of two 'mountains' (more like large hills) located in downtown Tangshan. Has a nice view from the top. Close to Phoenix Mountain.
- Earthquake Memorial (抗震纪念馆 Kàngzhèn Jìniànguǎn) - a memorial with huge monoliths of the names of all the 255,000 people who died during the earthquake. A museum with detailed information in Chinese and English concerning the earthquake, its effects on daily life for the Tangshan people and the recovery of the city as a whole is also in the vicinity, as well as ruins of an old steel mill left relatively undisturbed by the earthquake.
- South Lake Park (南湖 Nánhú) - Tangshan's largest park, hailed as an ecological park, is massive and contains a small amusement park within it as well as the eponymous South Lake, which is hailed as being twice as large as the famous West Lake in Hangzhou. Rent a tandem bike and cruise around the area.
Fengrun District (丰润区)
Palace at the Cao Xueqin Park
- Cao Xueqin Park ( 曹雪芹公园 Cáo Xuěqín Gōngyuán) - Fengrun claims to be the birthplace of the famous writer Cao Xueqin (曹雪芹), most well-known for his work 'Dream of the Red Chamber' (红楼梦 - Hóng Lóu Mèng). Within the park is a statue of Cao Xueqin, a large, newly constructed palace, a river where you can rent a paddleboat, and a square for dancing. For residents of Fengrun, this is the place to go at night - activities range from dancing, whipping, jump rope, and rollerblading (in summer). In winter, you can skate on the ice or ride a vehicle on the frozen river.
- Temple Pagoda (天宫寺塔 Tiāngōng Sìtǎ) - originally built in 1055 and restored a number of times over the years, this sleek, 24 meter tall Buddhist pagoda is now at the center of a park. During the summer nights, the area is particularly lively with lots of outdoor KTVs and street food vendors. Located near the long distance bus station.
- Thousand Buddha Mountain (千佛山 Qian Fo Shan) - a surprisingly scenic and newly built Buddhist monastery covered over a large area. The main attraction of the monastery are four Thousand Handed Buddha statues as well as a reclining Buddha, which is rare in China. Arrive early and enjoy a free, vegetarian lunch in silence with the monks at 11AM everyday. Address: 唐山市丰润区千佛山 (Tángshān shì fēngrùn qū qiān foshān)
- Qingming River Scene Recreation (麻龙湾清明上河图泥塑园 Má Lóngwān Qīngmíng Shànghétú Nísù Yuán) - a real life recreation of the famous painting 'Riverside Scene During Qingming Festival' with over 200 life-sized clay sculptures.
- Panjiayu Massacre Memorial Hall (潘家峪惨案纪念馆 Pānjiāyù Cǎn'àn Jìniànguǎn) - a museum dedicated to the tragic massacre inflicted by the Japanese soldiers on the Panjiayu villagers during Chinese New Year's in 1941.
Yutian County (玉田县)
- Jingjue Temple (净觉寺 Jìngjué sì) - perhaps the most ancient Buddhist temple still in use in the greater Tangshan area, it was built over 1,000 years ago in the Tang Dynasty. In 1723, under the Qing emperor Yongzheng's reign, the temple was expanded and renovated as it is seen today. Although it received some damage during the Cultural Revolution and 1976 earthquake, repair began in 1979 and so it stands to this day.
Zunhua City (遵化市)
- Eastern Qing Tombs (清东陵 Qīngdōnglíng) - located in Zunhua County (遵化 - Zūnhuà), this is the biggest attraction in the greater Tangshan area. One of China's UNESCO World Heritage sites, contained within are well-preserved mausoleums of Qing dynasty rulers. Expect to spend an entire day here because it's absolutely massive; the distance between all the mausoleums is so great you have to ride in what is basically a large golf cart to get around. Closes around 5:30PM. Ticket price is 160 kuai.
Qianxi County (迁西县)
- Xifengkou Great Wall (喜峰口长城 Xǐfēngkǒu Chángchéng) - from the Qian Xi bus station, it's roughly 47 kilometers to the Xifengkou Great Wall. Best bet is to hire a taxi for the day, expect to pay 300 kuai including the driver's waiting time. Completed in 1452, this section of the wall was also the stage of a battle between the Chinese and Japanese in 1933.
- Panjiakou Great Wall (潘家口长城 Pānjiākǒu Chángchéng) - this is the famous 'Great Wall underwater'. Located in Qian Xi county, roughly 40 kilometers from the Qian Xi long distance bus station.
- Qing Shanguan Great Wall (青山关长城 Qīngshānguān Chángchéng) - located in Qian Xi county.
Qian'an City (迁安市)
- Baiyangyu Great Wall (白羊峪长城 Báiyángyù Chángchéng) - located in Qian'an city in Dacuizhuang town about 35 kilometers from the Qian'an long distance bus station. Beautiful section of the Great Wall with zero maintenance and few tourists. Ticket price is 40 yuan.
- Qian'an Museum (迁安博物馆 Qiān'ān Bówùguǎn) - located in Qian'an city. The star attraction is a 12,000 year old Paleoloxodon (wooly mammoth) fossil/skeleton, the largest of its kind in China.
- Guantoushan Wine Plant - take a tour of a baijiu factory in Qian'an, Dawoli town, Guantoushan village. Also includes a wine culture museum. 0315-7082445/13803328177
Laoting County (乐亭县)
- Li Dazhao Memorial Hall and Former Residence - One of the founders of the Chinese Communisty party, Li Dazhao, was born in Laoting. There are two places to visit - the Memorial Hall (Jìniànguǎn 纪念馆) is not too far from the bus station, maybe 10 kuai for a taxi ride. Li Dazhao's former residence (Gùjū 故居) is located roughly 18 kilometers from the bus station, in Daiheituo Village.
- Moon Island (月坨岛 Yuètuódǎo) - The Moon Island is located in the Bohai Sea. A boat ride to the island is 135 kuai, and a night on the island itself is between 500 and 600 kuai. An exciting alternative to the beaches of Qinhuangdao, at least.
- Repulse Bay (浅水湾 Qiǎnshuǐwān) - if for some reason there are no boats going to the Moon Island, then there's always the beach at Repulse Bay. Roughly 25 kilometers from the center of Laoting, take the bus to Jingtang Port (京唐港) and from there a taxi to the beach should cost 20 kuai.
Tanghai County (唐海县)
- Caofeidian Wetland Park (曹妃甸湿地公园 Cáofēidiān Shīdì Gōngyuán) - located on the northern shore of the Bohai Sea, Caofeidian is lauded as the only wetland and natural reserve for birds in Hebei province. In the vast tracts of the park, a wide variety of animals and plants thrive in some distinct ecological zones. Open from 9AM to 6PM.
Luan County (滦县)
- Luanzhou Ancient City (滦州古城 - Luánzhōu gǔchéng) - a recreation of the ancient city of Luanzhou, don't expect anything real here nor any information in English. Within the ancient city are many shops in ancient-styled buildings, a canal that mimics the canals of Suzhou which you can take a boat ride on, and a very tall pagoda which offers breathtaking views at the top. The city is most impressive at night when it's lit up.
Escape Alive from Room 51 (51真人密室逃脱) - you're placed in a room and must escape it within an hour! Great idea for a date. Has three different themed escapes. 40 kuai per person. Address：万达广场A座704房间 , Wanda Square, Building A, Room 704. Phone Number: 15081912062 QQ: 1329595524
CS Outdoor Laser Tag (Chinese name: 弯道山真人CS) - good fun for a big group of people looking to kill an afternoon. You're given two hours split among a variety of large, outside locales decked out in military uniforms and big laser tag guns. Mosquito repellent is a must during summertime. Recommended to book a day in advance, and be aware that none of the employees speak English. Telephone: 0315-8373339,18731567117 Address: 路北区缸窑路92号弯道山公园 Hours: 08:00-17:00
- Tangshan famous dishes (唐山著名小吃). Feasts hung elbows, gutting sea cucumber, fish sauce, braised skirt block, fun, shrimp, jade, jade dragon, it combined abdominal hooks of gold, a ball, his general crisp carp, white breast, reed catkins chicken, millet flour pastry, Jintang blood nest shark fin soup, Jingdong frankincense Rou, jade products bamboo shoots, jade melon booty, Bao Beiyu gold brick, small fish, Jingdong Jingdong special vinegar intestinal, meat fried bamboo shoots, simmer pork, grilled eggplant sauce, eight bags of fish ( Octopus ) stew, fish noodles, egg booth ( racing crab ), Pipi shrimp meat dumplings.
- Seafood（海鲜）: shrimp, crab, Pipi shrimp, fish noodles, fish, shrimp, yellow croaker of auspicious head, fast fish, clams, shrimp, etc. in autumn. Products: Freshwater carp, crucian carp, grass carp, a fish, shrimp, crab, even loach, snakeheaded fish, turtle and so on. Tangshan seafood to cooking good fresh seafood raw materials. Characterized by rich materials, knife delicate, taste fresh, exquisite oil holding Euryale ferox, dishes with exquisite Tangshan porcelain container, stylised.
Lee's Bar - local expat hangout owned by a Japanese man who can speak some English. Atmosphere is laid back and a pint of beer can cost 20RMB.
Latte Pub This is your typical Chinese Dance club, playing a lot of Techno and Pop Mixes. Something to note though, Latter Pub provides free drinks to foreigners usually in the form of a few bottles of beer, a bottle of liquor and a fruit platter. Latter Pub can be found in the San Lee building opposite the Tangshan Department Store
Little London A restaurant that caters to the foreigner teacher populace of Tangshan. The small restaurant has simple burgers and sandwiches along with a limited selection of beer and wine products. Beer prices start at 10rmb for a large bottle.
- Tangshan Hotel (北京唐山大厦), 45 Ciyun Temple (Ciyun Si), Chaoyang District, . Tangshan Hotel is located near Sihui Bridge, the CBD area of Beijing, adjacent to East Chang’an Street and the Fourth Ring Road. It only takes 10 minutes to the subway line 1 Sihui Station, and 20 minutes to the capital airport.